• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

[Poll] Removing Map Vote | Imposing Time Limits

What are your thoughts?

• Remove map voting.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Keep map voting.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Impose the time limit.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • No time limit please!

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Local time
5:41 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
I'll wrap this up tomorrow night,

But just a final recap here:

The votes at the time of writing this response is:
  • 7 for removal of map voting
  • 5 for not removing map voting
  • 9 for the time limit
  • 6 for no time limit
Also, again as previously mentioned, somehow by enabling the time limit per round - map voting now has a 180sec cooldown (something I really can't control nor knew existed) and it appears to have tempered the entire situation.

Now I know it's a bit late in the game to do this and I don't want to overrule what has already basically been decided, but if we keep both maybe there would be peace?

The map voting is needed and I agree there - the main problem was the spamming of votes and as a result the time limit now seems to have fixed that inadvertently. Whatever it is, it's linked to the time limit. I tested it and it is definitely so. If we remove the time limit, there's no buffer zone of 180sec and we're back at square one.

If we remove the map vote and keep the time limit (maybe bring it back down a bit), it would ensure the maps are finally played in rotation and those of us that miss our coveted maps also get a chance to play them.

With map voting gone though, Admins can change the map if the majority agree on a map change. This is something they can already do. :)

Either way, this weekend is going to be interesting for BFV. :)

Local time
10:41 AM
Reaction score
Real Name
Leon
With map voting gone though, Admins can change the map if the majority agree on a map change. This is something they can already do.
To me, that option is almost at the pure discretion of the admin as any true "vote" is almost non-existent. I.E. if there are a very few (2-4 players) online, the admin probably has some insight into their feelings on it, but other than that it would be difficult to know. Again, IMO. I know there was a smiley face after this comment, but I hope we're not serious that this is a real option to voting, even though it is technically available. Lastly what if there are 3-4 admins on line and they all decide to change it to something different? What a mess that would create. So you have the issue of "do I make a change" and then the following issue of "what do I change it to"?

So, if I had another vote, I would vote to wait a couple of weeks on removing voting and then take another pole after we have all experienced the 180s restriction because these two changes have become linked in a way we (and others) did not expect.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Leon
Some levity on polling/voting. Enjoy.

The New Chandelier

The new vicar at a city centre church was delighted when he received an anonymous gift. When he told the church council about it, he proposed it should be used to buy a new chandelier for the body of the church.

However, it was put to a vote and the vicar was disappointed when his proposal was narrowly defeated. The vicar noted that the church council secretary had voted against the proposal and when the meeting was over, he asked the secretary why he had not supported it.

The secretary said he had three reasons: "First, I have to write the minutes of the meeting and I can't spell the word; second, there is sure to be an argument over who should play it; and finally, if we are going to spend money in the Church what we really need is some good lighting."

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
To me, that option is almost at the pure discretion of the admin as any true "vote" is almost non-existent. I.E. if there are a very few (2-4 players) online, the admin probably has some insight into their feelings on it, but other than that it would be difficult to know. Again, IMO. I know there was a smiley face after this comment, but I hope we're not serious that this is a real option to voting, even though it is technically available. Lastly what if there are 3-4 admins on line and they all decide to change it to something different? What a mess that would create. So you have the issue of "do I make a change" and then the following issue of "what do I change it to"?

So, if I had another vote, I would vote to wait a couple of weeks on removing voting and then take another pole after we have all experienced the 180s restriction because these two changes have become linked in a way we (and others) did not expect.
That is why I am here DaddO. :)

As absent as I may seem in-game, I watch the logs and see who gets kicked, by whom and why. I'm the inquisition into who's abusing their power but I see your point.

It has always been a thing that Admins may change the map if the majority of players agree to a change. An Admin could suggest Hastings for example, and then see how the populace agrees or disagrees. It is merely a means assist the situation.

I am leaning towards leaving it as is (maybe bringing down the time limit a bit) and giving it till next weekend with a new vote. And to those that wish to say this is excessive, I did not know about the 180sec buffer time that sprang up when I enabled the timer and I haven't properly incorporated that into this current vote.

Yet, I can't please everyone but just do what I think is right. I'll take the action needed by tomorrow night. ;)

Jum_P

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
6:41 PM
Reaction score
Why not toggle map vote option off/on at low/normal player numbers, as i understand its 1 console comand and it not reques server restart?

Although, there is no direct way to set delay between map vote, but its possible to set time for voting. New vote can not be made until previous ended, so set voting time 7 min., for example, plus 3 min standart delay, it will be 10 min. between votes. The only problem, that such method will requre at least 1 player or spectator (real or dummy) that never votes. Sure such method can cause teambalance problems at low numbers, when the advantage of 1 player is significant.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Why not toggle map vote option off/on at low/normal player numbers, as i understand its 1 console comand and it not reques server restart?
Unfortunately the server does need to be restarted every time the setting is changed to effect it.

Although, there is no direct way to set delay between map vote, but its possible to set time for voting. New vote can not be made until previous ended, so set voting time 7 min., for example, plus 3 min standart delay, it will be 10 min. between votes. The only problem, that such method will requre at least 1 player or spectator (real or dummy) that never votes. Sure such method can cause teambalance problems at low numbers, when the advantage of 1 player is significant.
I do like the idea of extending voting time.

However, it's still back at square one because most of the time players will vote it off so the voting time itself shouldn't really help that much. Extending the voting time will allow players more time to vote, yes, but really most people vote through within a few seconds. Those 8 & 7 keys are probably burning. :D

It is currently at 65 seconds, the max it will go is 2min. I'm going to give that a bash and see what happens. I'll still wrap this actual topic up tomorrow eve either something else in the pipelines.

Regards,
Ice

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
I will also drop off when the player count is low. We need to be able to switch maps when but a few players on. I hate seeing players abuse the map vote but I can press 8 easy enough. Sometimes the loudest voices are from players who don't play so much. I guess I would give Rick, Rbilly, Vmax more say than some of the guys who play once every two or three weeks.

Vmax

Regular Poster
-[HELLO]-BFV
-[HELLO]-BF1942
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score
Real Name
RatFink
As Ice has said admins already have the power to change the maps but I have never managed to to get answers from enough players to be happy with changing maps. Just look at the spread of opinions in this thread.

Admins be warned if you change maps when even 1 player doesnt like it then your day will be ruined. :)

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Make the vote change time 15 minutes. That might help. Never knew that was an option.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Make the vote change time 15 minutes. That might help. Never knew that was an option.
I think you mean how long a vote is allowed to stay active? That is set to it's max at 2min now...

The 180sec between map votes became a feature I never knew existed until I enabled the map timer. I can't change the duration as it seems hard coded into the game. There is literally no setting for it...

With the results of the poll in...​

Map voting is staying along with the timer!

Please bear in mind that the timer brought a feature with it that we never knew about. It provides the 180sec cooldown period before a player can start another map vote. That actual setting, again, can't be changed by me as it is in the game code itself as far as I've been able to tell.

Adjustments to the actual map timer (how long a map can be played for before the server changes to the next map) can still be discussed here. At the moment it's been dropped down to 30min again.

For now, I think that we have somewhat settled the map vote spamming issue and hopefully the time limit issue. :)

Regards,
Ice

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
The programmers should have let you control all aspects of map voting. That would have made this so much easier.

LTShaun

Regular Poster
HELLOCLAN LEADERSHIP
-[HELLO]-BFV
-[HELLO]-BF1942
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
11:41 AM
Reaction score
The programmers should have let you control all aspects of map voting. That would have made this so much easier.
Programmers are like engineers, they don’t think of simple things like that, I see it all of the time in the HVAC industry as well. P.S. no offence to any engineers out there ?

Vmax

Regular Poster
-[HELLO]-BFV
-[HELLO]-BF1942
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score
Real Name
RatFink
I think you mean how long a vote is allowed to stay active? That is set to it's max at 2min now...

The 180sec between map votes became a feature I never knew existed until I enabled the map timer. I can't change the duration as it seems hard coded into the game. There is literally no setting for it...

With the results of the poll in...​

Map voting is staying along with the timer!

Please bear in mind that the timer brought a feature with it that we never knew about. It provides the 180sec cooldown period before a player can start another map vote. That actual setting, again, can't be changed by me as it is in the game code itself as far as I've been able to tell.

Adjustments to the actual map timer (how long a map can be played for before the server changes to the next map) can still be discussed here. At the moment it's been dropped down to 30min again.

For now, I think that we have somewhat settled the map vote spamming issue and hopefully the time limit issue. :)

Regards,
Ice
The poll finished yesterday for anyone that is stuck in the past :D

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
The poll finished yesterday for anyone that is stuck in the past :D

Vmax, what about those of us who are implanted in the past? God I loved the early days of the game. So much fun sniping all the chopper campers on Hastings. They were all noobs and so easy to pick off.

Back