• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

[Poll] Removing Map Vote | Imposing Time Limits

What are your thoughts?

• Remove map voting.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Keep map voting.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Impose the time limit.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • No time limit please!

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Local time
10:12 AM
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Greetings Battlefield Vietnam community!

It has been brought up again in-game and on the forums...the timeless topic of map voting.

The idea behind it initially was to give players a choice as to what maps they get to play. However, recently players have been exploiting a bug that allows near instantaneous map change when a vote is started at the start of a round, when not all the players have loaded in yet.

Couple that with the spam caused by map voting, I propose two options to this and they are two separate sets of answers on the poll;

1. We remove map voting completely. Again.

2. We impose a time limit per round, like 20min or something.

Let me know what you think about this. :)

Regards,
Ice

Vmax

Regular Poster
-[HELLO]-BFV
-[HELLO]-BF1942
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
RatFink
Hi All

Imposing a time limit or making it shorter will fix the maps that are very long when there are only a few players on. Do it :)

silvia

Normal Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
9:12 AM
Reaction score
Voto ,que se quede la votacion.
1 por que cuando juego somos dos tres cuatro ,y nadie quiere x mapa y tenemos que cambiar ,y si no. no podemos y la gente se va
2 quitar la votacion ? al margen de lo que vote... vamos a revotar todo hasta que se cambie lo que se este votando? porque entonces hay dos opciones o lo quitas directamente sin votar , o hacemos votaciones todas las semanaso todos los dias .
para que se voto?
y se quita la votacion de mapa ,cuando empezamos a hacer otra vez la votacion para ponerla?
empezamos 3 y acabamos jugando 6... hasti ...durante dos horas y media. .(las estadisticas lo puedes ver ) jugando 3 banderas contra tres todo el mundo respeto. todo perfecto. Si no hubieramos podido cambiar el mapa duramos menos tiempo que dracula tomando el sol .

LTShaun

Regular Poster
HELLOCLAN LEADERSHIP
-[HELLO]-BFV
-[HELLO]-BF1942
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
Voto ,que se quede la votacion.
1 por que cuando juego somos dos tres cuatro ,y nadie quiere x mapa y tenemos que cambiar ,y si no. no podemos y la gente se va
2 quitar la votacion ? al margen de lo que vote... vamos a revotar todo hasta que se cambie lo que se este votando? porque entonces hay dos opciones o lo quitas directamente sin votar , o hacemos votaciones todas las semanaso todos los dias .
para que se voto?
y se quita la votacion de mapa ,cuando empezamos a hacer otra vez la votacion para ponerla?
empezamos 3 y acabamos jugando 6... hasti ...durante dos horas y media. .(las estadisticas lo puedes ver ) jugando 3 banderas contra tres todo el mundo respeto. todo perfecto. Si no hubieramos podido cambiar el mapa duramos menos tiempo que dracula tomando el sol .
Dracula Sun Tanning LOL

LTShaun

Regular Poster
HELLOCLAN LEADERSHIP
-[HELLO]-BFV
-[HELLO]-BF1942
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Hi All

Imposing a time limit or making it shorter will fix the maps that are very long when there are only a few players on. Do it :)
I am all for a 30-45min limit per round! ?

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
3:12 AM
Reaction score
I voted for the time limit option.

During the week, when few players are playing, it is nice to have the option to map vote. When the server has a decent number of players, map voting becomes very annoying. I'm to the point where I press 8 even if the change is for Hastings.

One option, so long as an admin is on, is that if a map vote is initiated at the outset to change the map, let the admin reset the map back to the map that was starting. Just override the exploit so that all players then have a vote?

I hate to see the best maps changed to 30 minutes or anything less than 45. I love Reclaiming Hue and if blue can get off the bridge, it takes a spell for blue to eventually win the map. But that map can go on and on and on.

Thanks for all your efforts to improve the server Ice. Perhaps make a change on a trial basis and see how things go.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Based upon the results thus far...

I'm going to start by adding a 25min time limit. Vmax has suggested already that he will restart the map if a vote happens too quickly and not everyone had a chance to vote.

The poll, albeit few votes, are already by one in favor of removing map vote. However, I will wait a bit more before we decide on that.

For now the time limit will be imposed. :)

Users may change their votes on this poll to reflect any changes in viewpoints.

Regards,
Ice

Local time
Reaction score
Steam
 antiawp
I agree with LT. 25 min time limit is too short. Please turn this off on the weekends. We played several maps today that ended prematurely including Game Warden and Saigon 68. Some people who voted yes above were also agreed that there was not enough time to play maps. Thanks!

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
I was thinking, those of us in the USA can really see what it must be like to be a politician. To try and balance the interests of all. Ice, you have your work cut out for you. Fix one issue and create two more. It is a thankless job but thank you for trying.

Several years ago, I think SK tweaked some of the maps so that they would play ... faster... Points melting fast. Perhaps a jungle map or two. Is there no way to have one of our map tweakers fix the map vote problem as in allow a map vote every 15 minutes?

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Leon
The current 25 min time limit is too short. The first 10 maps I was in yesterday timed out, that is 100% with about 6-8 players on them. That is too quick. I would think that well attended maps should only time out about 10-20% of the time. In other words, the timer should be a back stop, not a continuous trigger. Please consider extending it to about 40 minutes to allow more games to complete. I noticed yesterday (Sunday) that only Irving and Dart would actually complete and only took about 15 minutes with 15 or so players on them.

I see the need for a timer, but I feel it should be the main stop on the majority of programs, only the exception.

Also the voting is fine with me, it was used quite effectively yesterday to get rid of the huge maps with fewer players. But, those with very fast machines can use it to their favor with a very early vote resulting in few players getting to even vote. If there was a way to delay map voting for about 1 minute until the games gets underway (for most), that would stop that, but otherwise I can live with map voting left on it if you can't delay it.

Thanks for all you guys do, it makes this a great place to have a lot of fun!

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
The current 25 min time limit is too short. The first 10 maps I was in yesterday timed out, that is 100% with about 6-8 players on them. That is too quick. I would think that well attended maps should only time out about 10-20% of the time. In other words, the timer should be a back stop, not a continuous trigger. Please consider extending it to about 40 minutes to allow more games to complete. I noticed yesterday (Sunday) that only Irving and Dart would actually complete and only took about 15 minutes with 15 or so players on them.

I see the need for a timer, but I feel it should be the main stop on the majority of programs, only the exception.

Also the voting is fine with me, it was used quite effectively yesterday to get rid of the huge maps with fewer players. But, those with very fast machines can use it to their favor with a very early vote resulting in few players getting to even vote. If there was a way to delay map voting for about 1 minute until the games gets underway (for most), that would stop that, but otherwise I can live with map voting left on it if you can't delay it.

Thanks for all you guys do, it makes this a great place to have a lot of fun!

Yesterday was Saturday! You Texans, I swear.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
I've seen the points,

We'll go up in increments of 10 min. So we are now at 35min, see what happens thereon...

I agree with LT. 25 min time limit is too short. Please turn this off on the weekends. We played several maps today that ended prematurely including Game Warden and Saigon 68. Some people who voted yes above were also agreed that there was not enough time to play maps. Thanks!
Conundrum born. :)

I was thinking, those of us in the USA can really see what it must be like to be a politician. To try and balance the interests of all. Ice, you have your work cut out for you. Fix one issue and create two more. It is a thankless job but thank you for trying.

Several years ago, I think SK tweaked some of the maps so that they would play ... faster... Points melting fast. Perhaps a jungle map or two. Is there no way to have one of our map tweakers fix the map vote problem as in allow a map vote every 15 minutes?
It's kinda why I lost my cool in the past, fix this - break that - fix that - break this. It is profoundly difficult to keep the entire populace happy - including those that don't even come and voice their opinions.

But, nowadays, I aim to find the medium to work with. :) Unfortunately the map voting is game coded, what SK did was alter the ticket bleed rate and I think starting tickets for certain maps.

We will try this and see how the 35min works.

Otherwise, another method is perhaps using the schedule and having map vote on during the week (quiet times) and off on weekends (busiest times). Time limit on over weekends (35min?) and off during weekdays.

There's a few changes happening here, so let's see if the increased time limit works first, if there's no hassles there and map voting is being used less, then let's stick with that. Otherwise we can try out the scheduling with the settings changing up over weekends and weekdays.

Regards,
Ice

Mav3ricK

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
9:12 AM
Reaction score
lmao this is a meme

Virgin time limit
vs
CHAD taking all flags and killing all remaining enemy players

I even have another meme for you ??

enjoyer.jpg

htn

Forum Rookie
TECHNICIAN
BATTLEFIELD VIETNAM ADMIN
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
25 minutes was a bit to short yesterday. Round would be over 5 minutes later anyway.

I think 35 minutes are perfect time. Let's see how it works.

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
I say 45 minutes. We were playing Histings this morning, just a few of us. Round was over right when were making a comeback.

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
I vote for impose the time limit 45 minutes, and disable map vote on weekends.

Me, Mr. Orange and TonyB noticed a huge abuse (spam) during gameplay today.
Agree.

The map vote is such a great feature but it is being abused by some A hole. Really sucks that those of us who enjoy playing the game are punished for the behavior of one or two. I suggest we look for a programmer who might be able to help you identify who is doing this and perma ban them.

Thanks.

Back