• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Friendly fire details and evaluation.

Did you like Friendly Fire? Should we store the stats?

• Yes

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Store weekend in stats

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Don't store weekend in stats

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
8:09 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
You all get 2 votes in the poll. Please choose yes/no/other for if you like FF and yes/no for if you want this weekend uploaded to the server stats at bfv/stats/

Friendly fire is now live!

Friendly fire has now been enabled.

So how does this work?

Code:
Huey missiles (pilot)
MI-8 missiles (pilot)
Hormone missiles (co-pilot)
Cobra missiles (pilot)
ACH missiles (co-pilot)
F4-Phantom napalm
MIG-21 missiles
MIG-17 bombs
A7 Corsair bombs
AC-47 bombs
SA-7s
Betty bombs
Claymores
C4
Land mines
Time bombs
Grenades
LAWs
RPG's
M79's
Mortar shells
Tank shells
M110 shells
M46 shells
ZSU flak
BM21 rockets

Any weapon in the code above is likely to cause damage to teammates should it hit them, however, as I expect there will be more accidental than deliberate teamkills we have enabled "TK Forgive" mode. So what does this mean?

It means that any teamkill will be forgiven by default, but should the player feel that it was a deliberate teamkill they can choose to punish the player.
The punish feature is NOT to be used just because you're annoyed you got teamkilled. If your heli is shot down by a teammate's MUTT or SA-7, then that is an accidental teamkill and should not be punished.
Players who misuse the punish feature will find themselves held liable under the disruptive game play and common sense rules.

The friendly fire settings are currently:

Soldier Friendly Fire: 0% - This governs damage from direct fire weapons. Bullets, direct hits from player fired explosives etc. We can perhaps progress to this over the weekend but at the start I think it's best it stays off.

Soldier Splash Damage 100% - This governs damage from weapons that do splash damage, so any explosive.

Vehicle friendly fire 0% - This governs damage from direct fire weapons that originate from vehicles. Vehicle machine guns and direct hits from explosives. Again, this can maybe be turned on later.

Vehicle Splash damage 100% - This governs splash damage from vehicles, shells, bombs, napalm.

Friendly fire kickback 0% - This governs how much direct fire damage is returned to the originator. If we progress to turning the other friendly fire options on then this'll go on too.

Splash Damage Kickback 100% - This governs how much splash damage is returned to the originator. So if you hit a teammate with an explosive, you will take the same damage.

TK forgive mode: Enabled - This will mean teamkillers are forgiven by default. If a player feels it was a deliberate attempt (such as to get a vehicle that they already had) they can decide to punish the player.

Punished TKs before kick: 5 - This means a player must be punished 5 times before they get auto kicked. There will be no auto ban or kick for negative score in place during this trial.

Spawn delay TK penalty: 0.5 - Players who teamkill will receive a 0.5 longer respawn time. This should help against those who teamkill for vehicles but not affect accidental teamkills too much.

Please bear in mind all these settings are subject to change depending on how the trial plays out.

Let us know below what you think of FF and any issues you've noticed.

Vmax

Regular Poster
-[HELLO]-BFV
-[HELLO]-BF1942
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
5:09 AM
Reaction score
Real Name
RatFink
FF seems to be the clear winner so far so bring it on :D

Norbert

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
No Mines, Bettys, Airmissles, grenades just because some Pro-gamers are afraid of noobtubes ?

Fact is: Friendly fire will make the server noobfree.
No Noob will keep on playing, when he makes 2 instead of 10 kills /round, but dies 30 times....

So many may say now "yes, ban the noobs". But therefore the hello server has most members of all and many of em are noobs, who just log in for 1 hour and play for fun and leave. They don t see in this game their main hobby or satisfaction by gamingscores. They just want to have fun.

So let em their 10 law kills /round and accept, that you got killed by an noob and we all can use all mines and weapons like before.

And a vote won t be democratic because real noobs are not registered at hello-hp and they won t register for a vote. They are not updated like you all, they just log in once a week and leave.

Never change a running system ...

I see really the danger that this server will die, when all noobs leave it. If you want a pro-fight, you can meet on private hello server and play there with FF enabled.

Fact is: when hello-server dies the game will die...

Vmax

Regular Poster
-[HELLO]-BFV
-[HELLO]-BF1942
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
RatFink
Norbert all of the weapons can still be used and t00bers can still play, but they cant just spam into groups or fire at their feet and will have to fire at the enemy where there are no team mates. Hellos and Tanks cant just spam either and have to watch where they are firing. The servers in Australia back in the day all ran FF and autokick for negative score and the gameplay was good. Noobs as you call them learned after a few games how to play and adapted very well so BRING IT ON :D

Mookli

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
12:09 PM
Reaction score
FF sucks for Engineers and Scouts. You get punished for having clueless/careless teammates.

BlackSheep

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
At first. Hello at all. I am new and i have just registered.

I agree with Norbert. I am only a weekend-gamer, that means i just want to play for having fun and for escaping the working day. I am not interesting in earning "gaming-skills" or earning as much points i am able to, for being lucky at the end, that i am on the top.

I tried to play several games online, but until now, i am not able to find another game which you can just enter for 30 min and just having fun, without tactics or without having scores like 5 death but 30 kills.

I never registered in any other server-forum before, because i don t like to play a game with ambition or for honor. It shall be just fun and an outtake from my working day, nothing more. I believe there are other "Just-Fun-Players" like me, who do not take this game so serious like you all ( i respect that, really), so they won t do the step to register and to vote. But they are players too and this game needs players like us ( i heard you call em noobs...), even for getting a full server. So i try to speak for them, too.

It won t be the same fun when we just all have to run around with the same rifle and we will have to, if we won t have only deaths...

So i agree to Norbert. Let us our 10 Noob-Tube-Kills per game, the expert players will still make their high-scores with rifles.

By the way: This vote sounds like a cry " Save the pro-gamer !"

Are Noob-Tube really this dangerous for your score ????

Mav3ricK

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
BlackSheep said:
I agree with Norbert.

LOL, Norbert agrees with Norbert. :lol:

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
So we have on the forum

Like: 12
Dislike: 7
Other: 2 (I actually don't know why I added this option but if those of you who chose it would like to elaborate on your choice that would be great.)

Server:
Like: 11
Dislike: 4

So in total

Like: 23
Dislike: 11
People: 34

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
So, you're probably all wondering what happens next as nothing has been said since the votes were counted.

If you read my post above, you'll know that it ended with 23 who liked friendly fire being enabled, and 11 who didn't.

We had votes from the following people:
Code:
SellOut
Hugh Jass
Ford
IVAN POKRYSHKIN
Turbo
anti-capitalist
yomama so fat
*HDOW*RedHeeler
Joueur
The Nut Cracker
Micoplasma (URU)
«Nu(clear»Poopie
AXL
free w/papua
-=M*A*S*H=-
::HiHiLo::
WO1. Hicks
Hellsfury99
Ice_Skater17
Mav3rick
Hairball
MrOrange
GI 4ever
Sellout
Vmax
SucceededKiller
Capt. Canada
Maxwell Smart
Gunner
Sgtsurfinbyrd
SirMossi
Mr.Beezly
Rastifar
Norbert
Mookli

We also had ~33 teamkills. I may have got my math wrong here or missed some though. I also know that at least 5 were deliberate.

I then checked the stats, to see how many people we have had on the server, and since 24-02-2015 we have had 927 unique users with only 34 of those voting; that's 3.67%. A fairly low amount considering this change would affect the entire server and change the way people play the game here.
Lets then break it down to who is active.
It's been 21 days since the stats came into effect, so lets say 1 round per day would mean that player is relatively active. That means we have ~341 active players and of them only 34, or 9.97%, voted; that's not much better and doesn't include players who may have missed a day etc. as well as new players who have just started to play here.

So what happens now? Honestly, I'm not sure.

I'm not comfortable putting friendly fire on permanently when I know ~893 people didn't vote, as that's a lot of people. Also, from the list of players who did vote, we know that that isn't all the people who get involved with the server. There are people missing who I know did/didn't like friendly fire.

This leaves us with 2 choices:

1. We enable it every other weekend. This way people that like it do get to play with it on, whilst those who don't like it also get the same chance.

2. We leave it disabled. It's been disabled for as long as I've been here so that's at least 4 years.

The thing with friendly fire is that it doesn't positively impact anyone. Yes, the person shooting their foot dies, but so do you. They then just have to respawn, much like you, and it'll repeat. At the same time, it is negatively impacting all those players that like to place mines, use mortars, drop bombs. In a perfect world, people would take note of their surroundings; using the Q key to highlight placed friendly explosives and observing the map for friendlies before they go in. But this is BFV, and people wont do that.

At this point, any input would be appreciated. :)

H

hawk0012

Isnt it possible to have 1 cycle of maps with FF on and 1 Cycle with FF off ?

hairball

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
1:09 PM
Reaction score
I say every weekend be FF, I thought game play was so much better . Makes ppl team up a little more . That's my 2 centz anyway . :p

Vmax

Regular Poster
-[HELLO]-BFV
-[HELLO]-BF1942
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
RatFink
A pole shouldn't be won by people NOT voting guys.Thats just silly :/

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
But when 90.03% - 96.44% of the server population hasn't voted, we can't really make a change that will completely change the server permanently and for the entire time it is online. It's not an accurate representation of everyone's views...

Back