• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Announcement regarding Gamespy.

A. 

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
8:49 AM
Reaction score

CommandoBeta

Grand Master
REGISTERED
Local time
9:49 AM
Reaction score

taren

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
8:49 AM
Reaction score
Just started playing BF:V again and love this server :) So I really dislike to see talk of going out with a bang because there are already working solutions or ones in the works for other games that used gamespy.

Just to add to the list of games posted in this thread, while this isn't a battlefield, it's a game that used gamespy, medal of honor:allied assault: http://www.x-null.net/forums/showthread ... er-Utility

I'm sure when the developers behind these other games are completely finished they would probably be glad to help our community out in some way if there isn't anyone tech savvy enough in the BF:V community to do the work alone.

Janson314

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
12:49 AM
Reaction score
SucceededKiller said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you need to make a Gamespy account for battlefront? If so I can see why the servers going for that made such a big impact and you guys had to move over to a LAN based system. BFV doesn't have that and while I've read about 1942 making a master server they will in no way have access to every legitimate cd-key, right? Which I'd like to think authentication would need...

I do share your concerns that direct IP might not work though, for whatever reason, which is why I've tried to stay away from giving a concrete "Direct IP will save us" reply when I'm asked...unfortunately both EA and DICE are not being very helpful when I ask for any form of clarification on the matter...I'll try again later though as I have no intention of giving up and will do what I can to keep the game going.

Hey SucceededKiller sorry for ultra-late response. A lot of stuff came up the day after I posted and I haven't had any time since to think about this until now. You're right about Battlefront needing an account such that Direct IP didn't work. But from my research, I've found out that Gamespy does do CD-key authentication for Battlefield 1942. Vietnam has the same network infrastructure so it also applies. But I've actually changed my opinion: I think Direct IP will work. An online Battlefield server does try to contact the Gamespy master server to check CD-key, but if it fails, nothing happens. Some 1942 servers were actually able to display themselves on the Gamespy server browser, but block CD-key check. I remember there were a few of them before Origin made the game free.

I also remember the BF1942 master server going down temporarily in 2010 and people were able to Direct IP by editing the 1942 desktop shortcut. One thing I'm worried about is that I think the in-game Direct IP in 1942 didn't work because clicking on "Internet" from the main menu automatically tries to contact the master server and freezes the game if it can't find it. Hopefully Vietnam got rid of that bug.

Back