• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Announcement regarding Gamespy.

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
8:49 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
Dogfighter said:
You can never trust EA to save one of their old games.

It would be wrong to blame EA though. GLU mobile bought gamespy only to kill off all their servers and EA were then given 2 months to find a way to patch the games and update them so they'd work with, for example, Origin. Networking is a complex area of game development too so I'm not surprised they found it difficult.

B

BlackHawk0012

SucceededKiller said:
Dogfighter said:
You can never trust EA to save one of their old games.

It would be wrong to blame EA though. GLU mobile bought gamespy only to kill off all their servers and EA were then given 2 months to find a way to patch the games and update them so they'd work with, for example, Origin. Networking is a complex area of game development too so I'm not surprised they found it difficult.

Actually is not that complicated.
The problem in the code would mostly be based on changing the current ip's and some minor encode/decode logic.

Unless, they actually want to change the way the servers worked... Then we are talking about complexity and legacy code.Which would be somewhat hard, since its a 2002~~ code mostly. ( i know the game was released 2004)

If they simply replicate the gamespy servers , then its okay. Although, those big companies dont like dealing with legacy stuff unless forced to.

So we may see the death of this game.All on Ea hands.

*Im a programmer by the way.

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
I'd agree with you if I felt EA were even going to consider just putting together a quick fix but there would still be more than just changing values; they'd actually have to set up and run a server to service those requests or trust it to a third-party...which is what got them into this mess in the first place.

This is why I've been under the impression that the only solution they would have considered would be to move it to Origin; where they already have servers and which are under their control and would be more complicated than just changing where the game looks for the master server.

Regarding the server I've modified the announcement to say:

For information on joining with direct IP,
visit: forum.helloclan.eu/bfv/direct/
For information on Gamespy,
visit: forum.helloclan.eu/bfv/gamespy/
All players should check these at least once.

Hopefully these are more informative and easier for players to understand.

B

BlackHawk0012

SucceededKiller said:
I'd agree with you if I felt EA were even going to consider just putting together a quick fix but there would still be more than just changing values; they'd actually have to set up and run a server to service those requests or trust it to a third-party...which is what got them into this mess in the first place.

This is why I've been under the impression that the only solution they would have considered would be to move it to Origin; where they already have servers and which are under their control and would be more complicated than just changing where the game looks for the master server.

Regarding the server I've modified the announcement to say:

For information on joining with direct IP,
visit: bfv/direct/
For information on Gamespy,
visit: bfv/gamespy/
All players should check these at least once.

Hopefully these are more informative and easier for players to understand.

"they'd actually have to set up and run a server to service those requests or trust it to a third-party...which is what got them into this mess in the first place."

If they just replicate the servers, then its fine.. except for the legacy stuff.

Anyway, i think the chances arent high.

Dogfighter

Master Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
2:49 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Tim
____Ox____ said:
I play 1942 via origin. Doesn't that mean 1942 will still be around?
It's on origin, but I believe the server is hosted by gamespy. Could be wrong though.

FBC

Forum Rookie
REGISTERED
Local time
7:49 PM
Reaction score
Just a bit of clarification. Gamespy host the server list and now Gamespy is going down so this is an issue to all of us because we will not see the server list anymore. So far someone patched Halo 1 server list so the list will stay there but that all I have to say. Good luck.

Max

Normal Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
I'm sorry but once bfv is down, I suicide.

FBC

Forum Rookie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
deeteekay said:
Perhaps instead of contemplating our suicides, we should think of another Battlefield for HelloClan to move onto. BF3 or BF4 anyone?
BF3 sounds fun for me, I'm just waiting for my friend to invite me over to build a computer over the summer ^_^

Max

Normal Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Whats your ign? I also have bf3, but I haven't touched it in ages..

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
From an official standpoint, I'd like to make it clear that HelloClan does not suggest nor condone suicide as a reaction to Gamespy closing. :p

From a news standpoint, talking to our gameserver host got me this:

Hello,

Joining with IP should still work just fine. We have no intention of stopping the hosting of this game.

Thanks,

Zachary Williams

Dogfighter

Master Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Tim
I guess this means all my work ranking up and achievements in BF2 and BF2142 will go into the pooper. Darn, I cant imagine the look on the Generals.

FBC

Forum Rookie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
deeteekay said:
Max said:
Whats your ign? I also have bf3, but I haven't touched it in ages..

Here's the thing, I've yet to touch BF3 because of installation problems with it. Plus, my computer broke down to make matters worse. :'(
My parents computer hard drive broke so yea I cannot play BF3 now. Maybe after I get a new custom PC.

GunRunner

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
12:49 PM
Reaction score
SucceededKiller said:
From a news standpoint, talking to our gameserver host got me this:

Hello,

Joining with IP should still work just fine. We have no intention of stopping the hosting of this game.

Thanks,

Zachary Williams

So, that's a good thing, right?

Dogfighter

Master Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Tim
We should have one last Saturday event. If we go out, we should go out with a bang! Any ideas?

Back