• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Announcement regarding Gamespy.

____Ox____

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
8:34 PM
Reaction score
This really blows. My girlfriend and I just reinstalled BFV after years and EA is going to shit it...

I would buy an new updated version if they would work on it. All the new BF games blow. BFV and 1942 were the best ones they made.

«ßÔß»-Jaws-[CL]

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
7:34 PM
Reaction score
I've got a Homer Simpsonquestion;
Cant we find servers in bfv?
Cant I type hello's serverid 8.9.something ingame BFV ( /hardly/working now, it sux)
Just to make bfv work

You know all I'm the glass* is half-full instead of halfempty...LOL

*- a good Ale like IPA or a good wine - both works fine 4 me :D
Since u all a virtual, I have ur glass as well :p

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
Alright guys, here's the latest(albeit delayed):

EA have extended the time until the end of June (Source: http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates) but they do not yet have a permanent solution. They have, however, said they will look into community supported solutions as well. (Source: http://www.ea.com/news/update-on-ea-tit ... on-gamespy)

If EA is willing to look into community solutions for BFV we will get involved, however if there is a cost we will have to take that into consideration.

Once the deadline passes we will see what happens. If direct IP doesn't work then clearly keeping a server going that no-one can access will be a good money sink but if people can, and do, still join we will keep it going assuming there are enough people to make that viable.

How to join with direct IP:

Start up your game
Click 'Multiplayer'
Click 'Internet'
Click 'Add server'
Type in the IP address for our server (8.9.30.43)
Keep the port as '15567'
Press join.

If it helps, I made this video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOJAdiPKesI[/youtube]

Another method is to edit your BFV shortcut and add the following to the target:
+joinServer 8.9.30.43:15567
If you need help with this let me know, I can also provide my one however that will only work if your BFV is installed in the same location.

Lets hope for the best. :)

Mr.Beezly

Forum Rookie
REGISTERED
Local time
7:34 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Dakota Matthie
SucceededKiller said:
Alright guys, here's the latest(albeit delayed):

EA have extended the time until the end of June (Source: http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates) but they do not yet have a permanent solution. They have, however, said they will look into community supported solutions as well. (Source: http://www.ea.com/news/update-on-ea-tit ... on-gamespy)

If EA is willing to look into community solutions for BFV we will get involved, however if there is a cost we will have to take that into consideration.

Once the deadline passes we will see what happens. If direct IP doesn't work then clearly keeping a server going that no-one can access will be a good money sink but if people can, and do, still join we will keep it going assuming there are enough people to make that viable.

How to join with direct IP:

Start up your game
Click 'Multiplayer'
Click 'Internet'
Click 'Add server'
Type in the IP address for our server (8.9.30.43)
Keep the port as '15567'
Press join.

If it helps, I made this video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOJAdiPKesI[/youtube]

Another method is to edit your BFV shortcut and add the following to the target:
+joinServer 8.9.30.43:15567
If you need help with this let me know, I can also provide my one however that will only work if your BFV is installed in the same location.

Lets hope for the best. :)

Thanks, i can now stalk you on youtube without even having to search up your name.

B

BlackHawk0012

Can we take advantage of this situation and update to 1.21?

____Ox____

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the update and all the work you're doing. Agent706 and myself will donate what we can to help things along.

Agent is my wife btw.

We're having a great time in HELLO's server. Wish we would have reinstalled a long time ago.

Agent706

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
3:34 PM
Reaction score
I'm more than willing to contribute to having a Battlefield Vietnam host server. After all these years I'm having such a great time! Let me know what I can do to help!

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
BlackHawk0012 said:

I don't see how that will help the situation though, and those with little to no grasp of the English language are likely to not understand if we did; so we'd potentially lose players prior to Gamespy ending the servers.

____Ox____ said:
Thanks for the update and all the work you're doing. Agent706 and myself will donate what we can to help things along.

Agent is my wife btw.

We're having a great time in HELLO's server. Wish we would have reinstalled a long time ago.
Agent706 said:
I'm more than willing to contribute to having a Battlefield Vietnam host server. After all these years I'm having such a great time! Let me know what I can do to help!

I'm glad the 2 of you are enjoying your time on the server and hope you continue to. While donations are appreciated it might be best to hold off until we know what is happening so that your money does not potentially go to waste. I'll be sure to let you know how you can help once we do ourselves. :)

B

BlackHawk0012

SucceededKiller said:
BlackHawk0012 said:

I don't see how that will help the situation though, and those with little to no grasp of the English language are likely to not understand if we did; so we'd potentially lose players prior to Gamespy ending the servers.

____Ox____ said:

Agent is my wife btw.

Agent706 said:

I'm glad the 2 of you are enjoying your time on the server and hope you continue to. While donations are appreciated it might be best to hold off until we know what is happening so that your money does not potentially go to waste. I'll be sure to let you know how you can help once we do ourselves. :)

Punkbuster.

Dogfighter

Master Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
2:34 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Tim
If we do use the Direct IP solution, we may lose some players Ex: People who do not have a forums account, and other people who are not aware of the situation.

Dogfighter

Master Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Tim
SucceededKiller said:
We probably will lose players but there is nothing I can do about that. It comes up in chat to check here though and when people see the server gone they may check the site or even just google the name and end up here.
Maybe we can make an announcement in-game that will replay itself every so often, so players can be aware of the situation if they are not already.

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
There already is, that's what I meant by "It comes up in chat to check here though". :)

Our server is not planning on closing down,
although in what capacity it will still be,
available, if at all, is uncertain
so for the latest Gamespy news visit:
forum.helloclan.eu/bfv/gamespy/

____Ox____

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
I spam for players to join the forums every time the question is brought up. Can you guys change some of the normal lines "largest BFV server et cetera" to "Join our forums to continue to play"? You can see IP's so maybe post it in their dialect? All I know is that the past few weeks have been really fun here. Hell, I'll change my name to the IP to keep it alive.

Dogfighter

Master Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Tim
http://www.ea.com/news/update-on-ea-tit ... on-gamespy
Just goes to show you, EA "can't" do anything. It figures. Just like I said:
Dogfighter said:
The way I see it, why would EA help a ragtag community of players, on one of their old (yet better) games, when they can just say "Oh well, we cant help you, but feel free to play on our newer games that we will sweep under the rug after yet another 'next generation' game, and another one, and another and another..." Just sayin, don't put to much hope in EA, they are known to kind of backstab their older players, but all lies on the future.

Janson314

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
12:34 PM
Reaction score
Hey I used to play at your server a lot a few years ago. I just wanted to say that I'm pretty sure Direct Connect will not work when Gamespy goes down. Gamespy took Star Wars Battlefront 1 offline a year ago and Direct Connect does not work. I pretty sure Gamespy still does CD key authentication even over Direct Connect, so that might be why it still connects to the Gamespy Master Server. The SWBF1 community now uses Tunngle which lets you search for servers using the LAN server browser. It pretty much creates a virtual LAN connection over the internet, also known as a Virtual Private Network (VPN). I think GameRanger and Hamachi also work this way.

My experience with Tunngle has been very positive and I'm sure GameRanger and Hamachi work well too. Another option is to create a new master server and then distribute a homemade patch that will direct the server browser to use this master server. This is what some people in Battlefield 1942 are doing and it looks like it's working. However, it's more work to configure this and requires someone to run a master server. The VPN's already provide a master server.

Either way, you guys will probably need to get your community to download something, either a VPN or a patch, to allow them to connect to your server. Hope you guys can preserve this community, since you've done such a good job so far.

G

GoodHash

Nice post Jenny, cd key check won't work
I think it served by gamespy, isn't?
And this place will be crazy

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
____Ox____ said:
I spam for players to join the forums every time the question is brought up. Can you guys change some of the normal lines "largest BFV server et cetera" to "Join our forums to continue to play"? You can see IP's so maybe post it in their dialect? All I know is that the past few weeks have been really fun here. Hell, I'll change my name to the IP to keep it alive.

I'll modify what it says and put it at the start, not the end, of the announcements so people have a better chance to see it. The reason for the wording of it currently was because people were talking about buying a server...which would be a waste of their money and put them in the exact situation we are in. Tracing everyone's IP and using google to translate it for them would be a lot of work and you'll probably have follow-up questions etc...

Janson314 said:
Hey I used to play at your server a lot a few years ago. I just wanted to say that I'm pretty sure Direct Connect will not work when Gamespy goes down. Gamespy took Star Wars Battlefront 1 offline a year ago and Direct Connect does not work. I pretty sure Gamespy still does CD key authentication even over Direct Connect, so that might be why it still connects to the Gamespy Master Server. The SWBF1 community now uses Tunngle which lets you search for servers using the LAN server browser. It pretty much creates a virtual LAN connection over the internet, also known as a Virtual Private Network (VPN). I think GameRanger and Hamachi also work this way.

My experience with Tunngle has been very positive and I'm sure GameRanger and Hamachi work well too. Another option is to create a new master server and then distribute a homemade patch that will direct the server browser to use this master server. This is what some people in Battlefield 1942 are doing and it looks like it's working. However, it's more work to configure this and requires someone to run a master server. The VPN's already provide a master server.

Either way, you guys will probably need to get your community to download something, either a VPN or a patch, to allow them to connect to your server. Hope you guys can preserve this community, since you've done such a good job so far.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you need to make a Gamespy account for battlefront? If so I can see why the servers going for that made such a big impact and you guys had to move over to a LAN based system. BFV doesn't have that and while I've read about 1942 making a master server they will in no way have access to every legitimate cd-key, right? Which I'd like to think authentication would need...

I do share your concerns that direct IP might not work though, for whatever reason, which is why I've tried to stay away from giving a concrete "Direct IP will save us" reply when I'm asked...unfortunately both EA and DICE are not being very helpful when I ask for any form of clarification on the matter...I'll try again later though as I have no intention of giving up and will do what I can to keep the game going.

Dogfighter

Master Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Tim
You can never trust EA to save one of their old games.

Back