• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Announcement regarding Gamespy.

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
6:24 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
(Copied from another thread so we don't need loads of threads :) )

Latest: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6498&start=20#p50393

Hey,

Gamespy have run master servers and authentication for thousands of games over the years but it seems that time has come to an end; most likely because of the acquisition by GLU. For us, it means the server list will go and we'll be met with nothing but, if they don't provide authentication (I don't believe they do), direct IP will still allow you to connect. Ever since Gamespy made their announcement I've been in touch with EA and our host.

EA are trying to figure out what they can do and whether a transition, probably to Origin, is possible while the host wont know until EA have a decision. I have a support thread and contact them every Friday so I'll let you know if anything changes but for now you'll just have to hold tight, sorry.

Regards,
SucceededKiller.

Link to my support thread: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-EA-Games ... 8#U2614108

Dogfighter

Master Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
12:24 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Tim
Thanks for the update Succedekiller.

GI 4Ever

Forum Rookie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
It's HEART BLEED!!! Watch Out It's the End of the world!!!

B

BlackHawk0012

GI 4Ever said:
It's HEART BLEED!!! Watch Out It's the End of the world!!!

"Hitler is Informed about Gamespy Shutting Down"

I cant make the video because admins here are na.. i mean, they are authoritary.
Wait a second? How come Flower can tell what i can or cant post in my clan video channel?

Maybe i should ask SK if its okay?

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
Well...nothing new to add.
I talked to them yesterday and they had no other news regarding a decision.
I did try asking them what aspects of BFV are handled by Gamespy but between being told I should ask the developers of the Gamespy news site (an separate entity entirely) and being told they don't know and then the person I was talking to trying to get rid of me when I was surprised they don't know what features are in their own game I didn't get any further.
We'll just have to hold tight until a decision is made, or next Friday when I see if they are any more forthcoming.

CommandoBeta

Grand Master
REGISTERED
Local time
7:24 PM
Reaction score
I was told some 2 years ago that this was going to happen soon, and the person who told me back then said that the main thing that Gamespy handled was the connection between BFV and the servers. In practice this would mean that our serverlist would be empty and we'd have to connect by adding the IP's. I'm not sure how much of this is true, though.

Rastifar

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
5:24 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Keith Bowman
SucceededKiller said:
I did try asking them what aspects of BFV are handled by Gamespy but between being told I should ask the developers of the Gamespy news site (an separate entity entirely) and being told they don't know and then the person I was talking to trying to get rid of me when I was surprised they don't know what features are in their own game I didn't get any further.
We'll just have to hold tight until a decision is made, or next Friday when I see if they are any more forthcoming.

Thank you SK for your attempts here. How much would a dedicated server cost us to run ? Can I buy one and just beef up my internet connection and run one for us ? I really hate to see what a cool thing we have, good or bad go away like this.... My house is going to be spotless !!! Blackhawk is going to have to move out of his parents basement !! ITS THE END OF THE WORLD !!

FBC

Forum Rookie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Rastifar said:
SucceededKiller said:

Thank you SK for your attempts here. How much would a dedicated server cost us to run ? Can I buy one and just beef up my internet connection and run one for us ? I really hate to see what a cool thing we have, good or bad go away like this.... My house is going to be spotless !!! Blackhawk is going to have to move out of his parents basement !! ITS THE END OF THE WORLD !!
You can create your own server for BFV but you got to have a beefy computer and very good stable connection. Otherwise it would be a problem for all of us. I don't really know how to create a BFV server but if anybody would kindly let me know how to do it, I would be appreciated.

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
Unfortunately, buying a server is not an option as Gamespy has ceased licensing their technology; not to mention the game probably looks for a specific IP for this master server and we can't patch the game to do differently, but thanks for the offer anyway. :)

I talked to them again yesterday and got the same back about them having nothing new to add etc.

One of 2 things is likely to happen on the 31st May:

1. EA has a solution and we all go about as if nothing happened...sort of. Chances are we will need to use Origin and the server will need to be updated to work with Origin but this is all up to EA. We will do everything we can to help our players with the transition and try to get our server over as soon as we can.

2a. EA has no solution but gamespy only deals with the server list. If this is the case direct IP or third party software like xfire etc will still allow us to connect and we will do our best to keep our server running (Neither EA or gamespy have any authority over it so it will be up to our server host.) and letting our players know that they can still play the game they love.
2b. EA has no solution and Gamespy also deals with more important services. If this is the case we wont be able to do anything but I'm hopeful this isn't the case.

FBC

Forum Rookie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
SucceededKiller said:
Unfortunately, buying a server is not an option as Gamespy has ceased licensing their technology; not to mention the game probably looks for a specific IP for this master server and we can't patch the game to do differentl, but thanks for the offer anyway. :)

I talked to them again yesterday and got the same back about them having nothing new to add etc.

One of 2 things is likely to happen on the 31st May:

1. EA has a solution and we all go about as if nothing happened...sort of. Chances are we will need to use Origin and the server will need to be updated to work with Origin but this is all up to EA. We will do everything we can to help our players with the transition and try to get our server over as soon as we can.

2a. EA has no solution but gamespy only deals with the server list. If this is the case direct IP or third party software like xfire etc will still allow us to connect and we will do our best to keep our server running (Neither EA or gamespy have any authority over it so it will be up to our server host.) and letting our players know that they can still play the game they love.
2b. EA has no solution and Gamespy also deals with more important services. If this is the case we wont be able to do anything but I'm hopeful this isn't the case.
BFV is not on Origin yet but it would be nice if you request them EA to add the game to their database. Like BF1942.

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
EA actually post on their website when they intend to kill off a games multiplayer at least a month in advance based on:

"But as games get replaced with newer titles, the number of players still enjoying the older games dwindles to a level -- typically fewer than 1% of all peak online players across all EA titles -- where it’s no longer feasible to continue the behind-the-scenes work involved with keeping these games up and running."

However you wont find Battlefield Vietnam here yet. Admittedly, these circumstances are different, but the point still stands and they must have been paying Gamespy to host the servers up until now as I find it hard to believe they did this free of charge. A lot of other Battlefield games are also going to be affected such as 1942, BF2, BFBC2 and BF2142 and no announcement has been made on them either; yet I'm pretty sure some of those still get a good amount of players.

They actually posted on my support topic and twitter saying they are looking into a transition but are reaching hurdles which isn't surprising...the game is over 10 years old...so that's at least some good news. (Assuming you choose to believe them.)

Regarding money, you're probably right, but considering how difficult it is to even get a copy of BFV now, and that it is impossible to get from them, that's not too surprising.

In the end, all we really can do is sit and wait whilst hoping for the best. As one of the few remaining servers and clans in BFV though we will do everything we can, within reason, to try and keep this game alive and I'm sure that sentiment is shared by others.

Dogfighter

Master Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Tim
Didn't really see this coming, however hopefully things will turn up in the end.

Prosthetic Head

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
I won't be happy if they shut down Vietnam (or bf1942/bf2 to a lesser degree) but I bought this game on release day and it's the best value for anything I've ever spent my money on except the 7000 i spent with eye laser surgery.

I picked up tips with the helicopter mod for bf1942 before it's release and was a good pilot in a heli from day 1 because of these insanely hard to control copters.

I played bfv competitively and it's the best online experience I've ever had and it was so much fun. For a short time I was part of the A team of the No1 rated clan in Vietnam. I learned tips and tricks that give me advantage to this day. Graphics cards got more and more powerful and the radar bug became more obvious the faster the fps were. now my gtx 680 runs an avg of 800 fps and the radar spins like a Tasmanian devil.

I upgraded to windows 7 because I didnt trust windows xp not to murder the ssd I was buying. sadly that has tarnished the experience alittle I miss the in game music and the radio commands. If Bf:v survives the gamespy Apocalypse I'll buy a cheap Hdd just to install bf:v and windows xp on it.

G

GoodHash

Hey if you are not just the lamers with admin accounts its not a problem to save players

But you will be mad because cd key check won't work bitches hahahaha

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
I don't think it will help either, especially as the technical aspect of it is going to be their biggest problem and us emailing them wont change that. If they say they can save it but wont, then it might be a good time to try emails but right now I don't believe it'll help.

Rockanrolla

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks SK for your work! Keep us updated! You are a hero!

"They will give you a medal, G.I., but only after you are dead."

Dogfighter

Master Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Tim
The way I see it, why would EA help a ragtag community of players, on one of their old (yet better) games, when they can just say "Oh well, we cant help you, but feel free to play on our newer games that we will sweep under the rug after yet another 'next generation' game, and another one, and another and another..." Just sayin, don't put to much hope in EA, they are known to kind of backstab their older players, but all lies on the future.

Back