• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

[Feedback] Friendly Fire | Map Time | Map Voting

Do you like the settings?

• Yes.

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Yes but with alterations.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Other (please comment).

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Local time
11:37 AM
Reaction score
Steam
 antiawp
though the map timer may just be implemented again just to help things along
I hope not. The only reasons I voted YES is because you packaged the YES vote with Map Timer Off (and Map Vote Off). If you now change one of the YES voted items back to Map Timer On then I would like to change my vote to NO. I hope this packaged vote was not simply to gather enough YES votes to turn FF On and then backtrack on one of the other two options that have also been YES voted on. If some players wish for a map to end sooner, then they need to play harder for their team to win in order for the map to end. Mind you that we see players leaving in air maps too, with or without the timer off. I request you to keep all three items that have been voted and approved, at least for the time being. Thank you!

Local time
5:37 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
As an addendum to all this...

Now that it has sunk in that -[HELLO]- has friendly fire enabled, there is a lesser amount of players in the hours that usually get a good group on. Obviously this is just based on the main changes I've made.

If this trend continues, I may need to disable friendly fire to bring our numbers back up again. Should this happen, only friendly fire will be touched, the map voting & map timer will remain off.

Those that wanted friendly fire are playing, but it is not enough players as I'd like (not sounding greedy here, bear with me), but those that did not want friendly fire have upped and left. Unfortunately we are 17 going on 18 years into a game with minimal support (besides that which we provide for it), so I did gamble quite a bit by going forward with these changes and surprising as it may sound, friendly fire being enabled was a huge change to those that are accustomed to it being disabled.

Not everyone is willing to change their ways and some prefer weapons that...usually incur some damage. HellsFury, as per usual ;) , had a very valid point regarding this exact issue.

Please understand that I don't enjoy going back on any of my words, but if I see I have made a mistake I will truly do my best to fix it. Even incurring personal insult at the expense of bringing back the players that are clearly missing because of it. Players will ultimately play where they are comfortable playing, and the bulk of these players were comfortable on our server without friendly fire.

I will base the judgement off of how many we get over this weekend, usually we have 28+ on my Saturday nights around 8pm onwards. Friday nights usually had 18+ and there's currently 6 people online at the time of typing this. The entire week has largely been dead quite and it dropped as soon as it sunk in with friendly fire.

Regards,
Ice

Local time
Reaction score
Steam
 antiawp
As an addendum to all this...

Now that it has sunk in that -[HELLO]- has friendly fire enabled, there is a lesser amount of players in the hours that usually get a good group on. Obviously this is just based on the main changes I've made.

If this trend continues, I may need to disable friendly fire to bring our numbers back up again. Should this happen, only friendly fire will be touched, the map voting & map timer will remain off.

Those that wanted friendly fire are playing, but it is not enough players as I'd like (not sounding greedy here, bear with me), but those that did not want friendly fire have upped and left. Unfortunately we are 17 going on 18 years into a game with minimal support (besides that which we provide for it), so I did gamble quite a bit by going forward with these changes and surprising as it may sound, friendly fire being enabled was a huge change to those that are accustomed to it being disabled.

Not everyone is willing to change their ways and some prefer weapons that...usually incur some damage. HellsFury, as per usual ;) , had a very valid point regarding this exact issue.

Please understand that I don't enjoy going back on any of my words, but if I see I have made a mistake I will truly do my best to fix it. Even incurring personal insult at the expense of bringing back the players that are clearly missing because of it. Players will ultimately play where they are comfortable playing, and the bulk of these players were comfortable on our server without friendly fire.

I will base the judgement off of how many we get over this weekend, usually we have 28+ on my Saturday nights around 8pm onwards. Friday nights usually had 18+ and there's currently 6 people online at the time of typing this. The entire week has largely been dead quite and it dropped as soon as it sunk in with friendly fire.

Regards,
Ice
Well said Ice, and thank you for constantly trying to bring back players and increase player numbers.

I want to give you a little feedback of recent play two days ago. Several players were playing and we had about 10-12 players constantly for a few hours and several maps. We played well and had a lot of fun. We reached a jungle map (Ho Chi Minh Trail) where players were too few for that map, so one team quickly overran the Blue main with little resistance from the Blue team, and ended that map in just a few minutes (exactly how map change should be done with Map Vote Off.)

Important thing is that we all had fun because we could play the map in it's entirety till one team won. We had a chance to play well because the map timer is off. If the timer was on, these maps would have ended prematurely without the losing team getting a chance to turn things around, which did happen in a few maps.

Another benefit of timer off is that serial rapists have less effect on the game's ending. The team getting raped had enough time to sneak out and capture another flag to stop the rape OR at least prevent the raped team from being slaughtered by the rapist.

My team lost in a few maps even though I tried hard to make my team win. In Flaming Dart we lost because most of my team were flying instead of capturing and defending flags. Of course the other team had more experienced players and were defending their flags better than ours.

Overall we had a lot of fun and this showed because those 10-12 players stayed and played several maps without leaving for several hours.

I also want to point out that Friendly Fire On has had little effect on players who shoot M79s, RPGs, and LAWs at the feet. I personally noticed that when I fire the M79, RPG or LAW at enemy's feet, sometimes I don't even die if I am at a slight distance away. I only take some damage to my health. What is happening more often is that many teammates are dying to mines and traps unnecessarily. This is not a problem for me but I understand some player's frustration to this new change. So I am okay with Friendly Fire being turned off again as I understand that the main reason for turning it on (M79s, RPGs, and LAWs) is not entirely working.

Thanks again for everything you and staff do to keep this legendary game alive and kicking. Now someone find Tina please. I miss her indirectly, code-worded explicit remarks ;)

silvia

Normal Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
4:37 PM
Reaction score
I don't know that I have to vote.
I want :
friendly fire removed
time taken away
vote map activated

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
10:37 AM
Reaction score
It doesn't seem that there are any easy answers. I agree that the numbers have dropped with the FF turned on. I liked it but it seems many did not.

As for map voting, I think it is needed. It's just unfortunate that some abuse it. If you could only determine who is starting the votes non-stop... When there are a few of us playing, which is what happened yesterday, we need it on. We were playing Flaming Dart. Had a great crowd. When the maps go to ground, players leave. We went to a ground map and ended up with 6 players, one or two afk. When the map takes so long to play out, the server simply goes silent.

Local time
Reaction score
Steam
 antiawp
It doesn't seem that there are any easy answers. I agree that the numbers have dropped with the FF turned on. I liked it but it seems many did not.

As for map voting, I think it is needed. It's just unfortunate that some abuse it. If you could only determine who is starting the votes non-stop... When there are a few of us playing, which is what happened yesterday, we need it on. We were playing Flaming Dart. Had a great crowd. When the maps go to ground, players leave. We went to a ground map and ended up with 6 players, one or two afk. When the map takes so long to play out, the server simply goes silent.
The server has peak times and off-peak times. The server also has peak days and off peak days, with weekends being peak days. During peak times, especially on weekends the server has 30-40+ players, no matter which map is running. But during midnight in Europe and then midnight in North America, players play until they don't want to play anymore. They will hang on till the last air map they can possible play and then leave when the ground map starts.

Unfortunately a few players use this as an excuse to bash some maps. They are aware that the players who left after the server changed to a ground map were playing for hours and were going to leave anyways because it is midnight in Europe.

Of course the old timers prefer air maps because they know how to fly the choppers. But newbies and shoot-em-up gun lovers prefer ground maps.

The idea is to play and let play. Thank you for voicing your thoughts here instead of in-game chat which negatively affects player numbers.

Last edited:

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
The server has peak times and off-peak times. The server also has peak days and off peak days, with weekends being peak days. During peak times, especially on weekends the server has 30-40+ players, no matter which map is running. But during midnight in Europe and then midnight in North America, players play until they don't want to play anymore. They will hang on till the last air map they can possible play and then leave when the ground map starts.

Unfortunately a few players use this as an excuse to bash some maps. They are aware that the players who left after the server changed to a ground map were playing for hours and were going to leave anyways because it is midnight in Europe.

Of course the old timers prefer air maps because they know how to fly the choppers. But newbies and shoot-em-up gun lovers prefer ground maps.

The idea is to play and let play. Thank you for voicing your thoughts here instead of in-game chat which negatively affects player numbers.

I have every intention of continuing my in-game chat. It makes no difference to players what the hell I say anyway.

mRoRange

Regular Poster
BATTLEFIELD VIETNAM ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
8:37 AM
Reaction score
I have every intention of continuing my in-game chat. It makes no difference to players what the hell I say anyway.

Well, food for thought I went back and reviewed some logs to confirm what I already knew is true and that is you are always complaining in a way Pinky, in fact constantly. Its either the map, the teams, before map vote, now a constant commentary on why some people left when the map changes. is it breaking any rules no. is it annoying, many times yes. Didn't you constantly quit playing in the past because you didnt like this or that and now you are on your 25th time returning? I think its gret your back and add to a long of friends and characters on this server. I wouldn't mind if you did tone your negative and repetitive commentary about what we already know when players leave. You cant recognize its in trial mode and let's see how it goes? You don't understand that. Didn't map vote get turned off, isn't that what you wanted and made 12k chats about it in the past. Just chill out Pinky, play the game. If it gets to bad and too tough for you take a break and come back. But I dont enjoy your constant negative comments on what works and doesn't work on this server and why in real-time what people left for what reasons.

INcase you didn't know, there is fav maps for everyone, I play through the maps I don't like every time I play. Thats just the way it is and I don't need to analyze it every time a map ends. Were doing our best and it's an old game if you dont know that at this point.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Please note that this topic is meant for the discussion pertaining to how well the proposed settings are working. It is not here to be a point of personal anguish against players for their views.

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion and I encourage fair discussion regarding it. However, personal issues with players is not up for discussion here. Please keep on topic here on out.

If any response has such content, the user will be warned and their post deleted.

Regards,
Ice

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Best wishes to all. Thank you Shaun and all the admins who worked to make the game great again! :)

mRoRange

Regular Poster
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
8:37 AM
Reaction score
Please note that this topic is meant for the discussion pertaining to how well the proposed settings are working. It is not here to be a point of personal anguish against players for their views.

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion and I encourage fair discussion regarding it. However, personal issues with players is not up for discussion here. Please keep on topic here on out.

If any response has such content, the user will be warned and their post deleted.

Regards,
Ice
There is no personal anguish here Ice, gimme a break. Pinky has been voicing his personal opinion for as long as I can remember. Secondly, I dont have a personal issue with Pinky. But it would be nice if he curbed his constant complaining. That's a true statement.

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
There is no personal anguish here Ice, gimme a break. Pinky has been voicing his personal opinion for as long as I can remember. Secondly, I dont have a personal issue with Pinky. But it would be nice if he curbed his constant complaining. That's a true statement.

Curb my constant complaining. lol - seriously. Your definition of "constant" and "complaining" is way different than mine Orange. I don't know if you noticed the topics I have started lately, including my comments on this topic, none of which have to do with complaining. It's you and Gore who are here bitching about me. Try and stay on topic. You too Gore.

I'm one of the few, I bet, who has sent messages to former players asking them to come back and play. I've done my best to promote the game. I've said many times I love all the maps, I just wish we had more players.

And I have no idea if you are talking about in-game or here in the Forums. This is where I assumed that Ice was asking for player opinions and if you will look back through my posts, I have provided my opinion on the various changes. As invited to do so by Ice.

As for in-game, it sucks to play a map with 16 guys then we go to a ground map and end up with 6 players. There is a need for a solution. But if I say something, I am complaining. When other players ask for map changes in game, is that complaining? Are they allowed to do that? Compare anything I say to the badgering of players that has gone on here since I ever came to play at HELLO by various gamers.

It's ok, you guys enjoy the game as the player numbers continue to dwindle.

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
And by the way Orange, don't think I don't get tired of players bitching about you being AFK. A lot. And I never say a word about it. Check the logs for that please.

htn

Forum Rookie
TECHNICIAN
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Okay I think everything is said yet, isn't it?

So please go back to the original topic :)

The main question is, is FF on the main part of having less players? If so it would of course be good to disable it again.
Maybe the majority of players (that are not all forum members) think it is more fun with FF off?

Local time
Reaction score
Steam
 antiawp
So as soon as someone intentionally team-kills you, open up the console and type ptk.

The server will automatically record it, if someone is punished twice, they will get kicked automatically. Obviously, only do this if you feel it was warranted. :) I've enabled the auto-forgive on tk, which is why a player must manually punish a player if they feel it was deliberate. I felt this was perhaps the kindest way to introduce FF once more, instead of straight up punishing players for team-killing. I can adjust other settings to accommodate things a bit more, but I'll do such changes if we implement this permanently. :)

I can add a delay on to players spawn times that are team-killers. Whether punished or not. This is a setting I'll try out at 0.5% first, but only if we decide to keep FF enabled. :)

Bearing in mind one thing with the ptk command, it only really helps get someone punished irrespective of their score. Whereas the server will automatically kick someone for having a -5 score. Obviously there is also an auto ban system for that, but again, I've done my best to ease all of us into friendly fire first.

Regards,
Ice
@DiscoMagpie @Hopper @Blueheeler Guys, read this. I use this all the time when Nagi accidentally TK's me and doesn't say sorry......until 5 mins later 🤣

Back