• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

[Feedback] Friendly Fire | Map Time | Map Voting

Do you like the settings?

• Yes.

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Yes but with alterations.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Other (please comment).

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Local time
9:01 AM
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Hey everyone,

In lieu of the cancelled return of the bots event (again, I'm sorry), I thought I'd poll a bit again even though we've done this quite a few times.

The current settings that will run for this weekend (Friday evening 17th Sep - Monday morning 20th Sep) are;

• Map voting = disabled
  • Map timer = disabled
  • Friendly fire = enabled (50% & no kickback)

The above settings are what were in place for the cancelled event, they were just to add something extra to the mix. Now, again this debate (especially friendly fire) has been done many times and the results of this poll / thread may not necessarily result in permanent changes being made.

The settings will revert back to their original state on Monday morning (20th Sep) whilst the poll & it's discussions take place. The settings that will return are:

• Map voting = enabled
  • Map timer = enabled
  • Friendly fire = disabled

Please note:
During this period, if you feel you were team killed intentionally, you can punish the person responsible by doing the following;

Open up the console in-game by pressing the:
Code:
`
key and then type in:
Code:
ptk

Press ENTER and it will punish the person. A player punished more than 2 times will automatically be kicked as well. Anyone with a minus 5 score will also automatically be kicked. Abuse of this system will be dealt with accordingly.

Regards,
Ice

Last edited:
Local time
2:01 AM
Reaction score
Real Name
Leon
I am disappointed in no bots, but that is my opinion. If ppl don't want to join, a bot will take your place. Seems right to me. (-; I looked around for the objections and I haven't found them yet to see why it is so upsetting. Still looking.

What is "no kickback"? Does that mean FF does you no harm if you are the shooter? I hope that is not the case. Grenades, exposives, C4, mines, etc should kill the person using it if they do it wrong IMO.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
I am disappointed in no bots, but that is my opinion. If ppl don't want to join, a bot will take your place. Seems right to me. (-; I looked around for the objections and I haven't found them yet to see why it is so upsetting. Still looking.

What is "no kickback"? Does that mean FF does you no harm if you are the shooter? I hope that is not the case. Grenades, exposives, C4, mines, etc should kill the person using it if they do it wrong IMO.
The players in-game at the time for it...were quite convincing enough for me to cancel the event. If it is wanted, we can organize something on the alt server that doesn't chase players off our main server. :( I watched players join, complain and leave.

Kickback is basically karma in-game. ;) What you do to the person (deal any damage to them) bounces back to you as well. I didn't enable that, but normal friendly fire is on @ 50% strength. So if you shoot a teammate, they'll take damage but you won't (no kickback). I'm sort of easing the FF situation in. Because not everyone is use to it, I've done it in a way to not be as invasive as it usually is...

Regards,
Ice

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
I played yesterday when the bots were on. It was horrible. I played a couple of maps and left. Many of the bots standing around. On a jungle map, one shot and killed me with an SA7. Yeah, an SA7 on a jungle map. Goofy.

I love that FF is on right now. Love it. I like that map voting is shut down. I also need to understand how to punish a player.

Let's say 333 (teammate) shoots me a couple of times or intentionally TKs me, how would I punish him?

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Leon
I played yesterday when the bots were on. It was horrible. I played a couple of maps and left. Many of the bots standing around. On a jungle map, one shot and killed me with an SA7. Yeah, an SA7 on a jungle map. Goofy.

I love that FF is on right now. Love it. I like that map voting is shut down. I also need to understand how to punish a player.

Let's say 333 (teammate) shoots me a couple of times or intentionally TKs me, how would I punish him?
I've played bots many times in the past, especially useful when not many "real" players around. You have to get use to the idiosyncrasies they have. No program AI is near perfect. Yes, they do use SA7s a lot to kill other ppl. But, any player can chose to do the same, but it is stupid, I admit. But they do make nice targets to run up your score and make you feel much better about yourself. ?

I have seen other games that set a limit on your FF kills by auto booting you off the game (not block you) when you hit a trigger point. It would really PO some players if we did that imo. So "punishing" would be left up to the computer. But if @IceSkater turned back on kickback, that would be immediate punishment for TK'g. I guess it could be set at a lower level so it isn't 100% on. Might be worth trying.

I kind of like the FF too. Makes it much more real. I especially like the fact that it reduces the number of land mines and BBetties around. It also makes you a LOT more careful about using SA7s, mutts, RPGs and M79s, and heat seekers of all types too.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun

So, I've adjusted the in-game announcements to also show this.

I apologize I'm only mentioning it now and I will edit my initial posts to show it too.

But open up the console in-game using the:
Code:
`
key and type in:
Code:
ptk

It must only be used if you feel it was intentional. A person can be punished 2 times before being kicked. I will happily work out all the details further on, depending on how it goes. :)

I've played bots many times in the past, especially useful when not many "real" players around. You have to get use to the idiosyncrasies they have. No program AI is near perfect. Yes, they do use SA7s a lot to kill other ppl. But, any player can chose to do the same, but it is stupid, I admit. But they do make nice targets to run up your score and make you feel much better about yourself. ?

I have seen other games that set a limit on your FF kills by auto booting you off the game (not block you) when you hit a trigger point. It would really PO some players if we did that imo. So "punishing" would be left up to the computer. But if @IceSkater turned back on kickback, that would be immediate punishment for TK'g. I guess it could be set at a lower level so it isn't 100% on. Might be worth trying.

I kind of like the FF too. Makes it much more real. I especially like the fact that it reduces the number of land mines and BBetties around. It also makes you a LOT more careful about using SA7s, mutts, RPGs and M79s, and heat seekers of all types too.
I've left the kickback off for now mainly because I don't want to force the FF onto everyone that isn't yet accustomed to it. :) Though, again it's just the karma feature basically.

If you drop a grenade where you stand, or time bomb, with the settings as they currently are, you will receive the same damage your teammate receives from the explosion.

Bear in mind as well, the settings are all on 50%. For now...

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
UPDATE:

Thus far the feedback received isn't quite enough for my liking. I personally believe that the current settings mentioned in my first post has made a difference for the better, but I'd like more feedback on it.

As such, I would like to extend the use of these settings until next Monday (27th September 2021) to allow more time for feedback.

I've also posted a poll on our Discord in the #bfv-updates channel with a vote on the changes too.

Regards,
Ice

Ps. For those that have been asking for friendly fire to be turned on (for quite some time now) and are wondering why now, the answer is that there is a time and place for everything.

JustinBieber

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
12:01 AM
Reaction score

Friendly Fire | Map Time | Map Voting?????​

please stop kill game...

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
After playing this weekend, as much as I could, here are my thoughts.

I do like that FF is on. One map we were playing on, city map, no air, was a see-saw battle and it was obvious, the map was going to go on and on and on. I was out of time and had to do other things. It was fun seeing Nagi kill himself over and over. This will change and things will improve.

Is there a way to adjust the time of each map? Is it possible to speed up the bleed?

I see discussion about changing the maps. Map vote was removed, yes. But if most of the players want a map change, then an admin can change the map. That would be good. Giving admins the authority to ask players, "You guys want to go to the next map? I can change it."

Let admins change the maps is good.

pinky

Local time
8:01 AM
Reaction score

I do like that FF is on. One map we were playing on, city map, no air, was a see-saw battle and it was obvious, the map was going to go on and on and on. I was out of time and had to do other things. It was fun seeing Nagi kill himself over and over. This will change and things will improve.

Is there a way to adjust the time of each map? Is it possible to speed up the bleed?

I see discussion about changing the maps. Map vote was removed, yes. But if most of the players want a map change, then an admin can change the map. That would be good. Giving admins the authority to ask players, "You guys want to go to the next map? I can change it."

pinky
yes please!!!
I also wish to express what a joy, and RELIEF it was playing ALL MAPS again without the map votes constantly being cast.
SO nice to be able to play these maps from start to finish.
Pinky, there are ways to speed up the rate at which the map will finish, you know thisssss mannnnnnn!!!
my vote is ALL DAY to keep the changes you have made Ice.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun

Friendly Fire | Map Time | Map Voting?????​

please stop kill game...
Hey Justin,

This is a impromptu trial of these settings. It is why I've asked for as much feedback as possible to finally put friendly fire to bed one way or another. I will take in account the votes from those that requested it be stopped, but if there is an inherent difference that benefits the server as a whole, it will stay (also provided the votes allow for).

played it for hours today... Love it. Voted!
thank you for this!
I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed it!

I thought that was frowned on because of the " All Maps" centric focus... Ok, ✅

pinky

Not that it has exactly been publicly said, but Admins are already allowed to change maps if they ask in-game and the majority of players say yes. :) As long as it's not done excessively and that we "try" maintain some truth to our Allmaps name.

The bleed rate is something we can look at, however I recently lowered the max players back to 52 to bring the tickets down a bit again. Otherwise you need to start mowing people down faster. ;)

Nagi will need to...learn how to cope with FF if it stays.

yes please!!!
I also wish to express what a joy, and RELIEF it was playing ALL MAPS again without the map votes constantly being cast.
SO nice to be able to play these maps from start to finish.
Pinky, there are ways to speed up the rate at which the map will finish, you know thisssss mannnnnnn!!!
my vote is ALL DAY to keep the changes you have made Ice.
There is a definite benefit and I have seen much less negative chat based on people's weapon choices, so I would like it to stay personally, but the feedback will speak for itself! ;)

Regards,
Ice

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
With FF being on, players will simply have to be more mindful of what they are doing. For example, dropping mines all over a map. Placing betties and C4.

I am still confused by the punish feature. I am to go into the panel and type PTK and that's it? No player ID? I need step-by-step because I know that a player intentionally TKed me yesterday I wanted to whack him. Perhaps just retaliate after spawn, find and TK him.

Back