• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Grand fathers Light Horse unit photo 1917 before being sent to the Somme Valley in France

Local time
8:30 PM
Reaction score
262107665_4702572796469418_7232657783410801439_n.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
Who else has photo's of family from the first world war?View attachment 2328
My Grand father on the right with his soon to be brother in law.
Occupation prior to enlistment Farm Labourer
Enlisted 08 February 1917 at Nathalia, Vic.
Served in France
Awarded Military Medal
The Light Horse were demobbed and my Grand father was then attached to
the Australian 1st field artillery regiment. where he was awarded the MM.
He had his 18th birthday on board the ship going and his 20th birthday on the ship coming home.
Can you imagine being a 18 year old farm boy going to war in those days and seeing what they saw
Machine guns for the first time cutting swath after swath of mates down.

'For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty on 22nd /23rd August 1918
at Proyart. As Linesmen with the group Forward Observing Officers Gnrs.
Bridgement and Knowles established and maintained communication with
Battalion Battle Headquarters, under exceptional heavy shell and machine
gun fire they were constantly repairing the line during the whole night and
succeeded in keeping the F.O.O. in constant touch with the Battalion
Commander, affording their Brigade full opportunities to support the
advancing Infantry.'
Returned to Australia 06 August 1919 per 'Konig Frederich August'
The MM is the Military Medal the 3rd highest award.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys, I never met my Grand father he was born in 1898 in the same town I now live in, he died 3 years b4 I was born, After the war he became a timber cutter hand cutting sleepers(timbers that held the tracks in place) for the railways in what was a very young country in the forest 15 ks from my cottage (I found the title to my cottage dated 1898 the same year my grand father was born,making it 123 years old) He then joined the police force as a mounted officer then joined what an American would call the "vice squad" (here we called it the "gaming squad") .Until early retirement due to ill health from the war.We were told that he and another gunner survived being blown out of their gunpit physically unharmed by a German shell that killed one of the guncrew injuring the other 2. The guy he is pictured with is Clem and Clems sister Daisy married my grand father making them brother in laws and my Great uncle. So lucky that they both survived and came home. Both their names are on the town memorial where I shop for food and hardware. Once a year I go to the city of Melbourne where the"Shrine of remembrance" is and have the honour roll( every person that fought in WW1 is listed) turned to display his name. C H W, Knowles MM.
First pic is the ode, second pic is the opening in the roof where on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month( armistice day) the sun shines down through the roof onto the ode, third pic is the Shrine in its gardens in the heart of Melbourne

images 1.jpg

img_1623-683x1024.jpg

Shrine-of-Remembrance-image-by-Vaughan-Law-800px.jpg

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
It must be a honour for you. Rest in peace for all of them. Great respect to all martyrs and veterans...
I thank you for looking after our LOST boys.

A Turkish saying about the Australians and commonwealth soldiers that fought in ww1

You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."

Local time
9:30 AM
Reaction score
I thank you for looking after our LOST boys.

A Turkish saying about the Australians and commonwealth soldiers that fought in ww1

You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."
It's a quote of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk who is founder of Turkey Republic and he was also commander in Gallipoli War. We calling Anzacs with peace still. I won't forget that bloody war, martyrs and memories.

View: https://youtu.be/4gJNs5nTH0k

A Turkish ballad about Gallipoli War.

Back