• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Off topic, but of interest - this is what a DDoS attack looks like:

Local time
2:40 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Hey everyone,

SK posted this on his status, but I kinda wanted it to be a bit more noticeable. For those unaware, we've been under attack a few times these past few months. Aside from the minute website down time (like maybe 10-15min) because of some adjustments, we've been relatively unaffected. :)

Our servers remain unhindered when we're under attack, and our website is likewise near unhindered. The screenshots below, from SK, are what a DDoS attack looks like, I thought it would be interesting to share this more openly so everyone can see it. :)

In the above screenshot, if we actually had that many active visitors, I'd be doing cartwheels. Unfortunately, those are all fake requests in an attempt to render our services unusable.

You can see a rough idea here where most of our traffic comes from, in this case near all of it is because of the DDoS attack.

For those familiar with he who shall not be named (the guy who in the past crashed our BFV server) this is similar to what he did. Flood the server with join requests to the point it crashed. :)

Just thought it would be interesting reading for some. Not entirely useful information.

Local time
7:40 AM
Reaction score
Real Name
Leon
Is there a range of IP addresses that can be blocked at the firewall level to reduce the effectiveness of the attacks? I know it is a bit like "whack a mole", but there are only so many IPs that the unmentionable can use to forward attacks.

Local time
2:40 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Is there a range of IP addresses that can be blocked at the firewall level to reduce the effectiveness of the attacks? I know it is a bit like "whack a mole", but there are only so many IPs that the unmentionable can use to forward attacks.
We did try something like that once...

However, he can use as many as he wants in reality. :) We're working on something...but no matter what, he can't hurt us anymore. :) We've stuck around this long, we certainly will out last him.

Regards,
Ice

Back