• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Main Rape - Cap Main

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
12:03 AM
Reaction score
Have you given any thought to perhaps a rule that there be no main raping? I don't consider Flaming Dart to have mains.

I used to play on a server several years ago where some of the maps had mods that prevented taking mains on Khe Sahn and Hastings. Perhaps give that consideration?

Thank you.

Vmax

Regular Poster
-[HELLO]-BFV
-[HELLO]-BF1942
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
3:03 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
RatFink
Making the mains uncapable would require a mod to the code I believe and part of the game we love is capping the enemys main. I do agree that its annoying on a good map when there are only a few players online and its a tactic used to end a map quickly by some who don't like the said map.

Leave it be :)

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
I disagree. The current rule for main rape on last flag is perfect in my opinion.
If the team cannot defend the main, they lose. As easy as it is ;)

The problem is what happens when there are but a few players on the map, as in yesterday? Four players on Hastings. 2 on each side. By the time I got in the game, on red, red had all flags except blue main. It appeared that of the 2 players on blue, only 1 was playing. I made the 3rd player for red. Paranoid came into the game on the blue side and, of course, he is spawning at main which is being hammered by a circling chopper.

I'm not saying the player raping was doing anything in violation of the rules but Para immediately went into spectate then left the game. I left shortly after as it served no purpose to participate.

If teams are even and players are playing, We don't see main raping. Per the rules. If all players are playing. It is rare. The problem that arises is when there are but a few players and a team has an AFK or two. It empties the server and the bigger issue is that if we pick up some new players, they leave and don't come back. Is that what we want?

Just suggesting that perhaps consider a no main rape rule. And what fun is it to circle main easily killing players spawning? Is that in the spirit of good play?

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Making the mains uncapable would require a mod to the code I believe and part of the game we love is capping the enemys main. I do agree that its annoying on a good map when there are only a few players online and its a tactic used to end a map quickly by some who don't like the said map.

Leave it be :)

I get that Vmax but for reasons I cannot explain, on Khe Sahn, it takes but a few seconds to flip the red main flag while the blue main flag takes much more time. Khe Sahn seems to always be screwed up by main taking.

Local time
1:03 AM
Reaction score
Steam
 antiawp
I get that Vmax but for reasons I cannot explain, on Khe Sahn, it takes but a few seconds to flip the red main flag while the blue main flag takes much more time. Khe Sahn seems to always be screwed up by main taking.
Not to mention that we need to cross a gorge and river on foot while under fire from enemy air and ground to recapture the Red main. It is also very difficult to recapture the Blue main especially when the enemy is camping there. Without teamwork and proper communication its close to impossible. The solution is that at least 1 guy guard the mains at all times. If I'm the last guy at the main, I will stay there unless my team is badly in need of flags and my team is mostly fooling around because some players give priority to jacking up their kill score instead of capturing flags for the team. I have noticed most players do keep an eye on the main more often these days than before. Players are looking out for bailers and reporting them all the time.

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Not to mention that we need to cross a gorge and river on foot while under fire from enemy air and ground to recapture the Red main. It is also very difficult to recapture the Blue main especially when the enemy is camping there. Without teamwork and proper communication its close to impossible. The solution is that at least 1 guy guard the mains at all times. If I'm the last guy at the main, I will stay there unless my team is badly in need of flags and my team is mostly fooling around because some players give priority to jacking up their kill score instead of capturing flags for the team. I have noticed most players do keep an eye on the main more often these days than before. Players are looking out for bailers and reporting them all the time.

I don't know why they designed the game such that red can be capped so fast. The same problem exists on Fall of Lang Vei. Blue main is so easy to take.

Local time
Reaction score
Steam
 antiawp
I don't know why they designed the game such that red can be capped so fast. The same problem exists on Fall of Lang Vei. Blue main is so easy to take.
In Khe Sahn Red team starts with an advantage of all or most of the flags if I'm not mistaken. Blue team has to cap flags or loses tickets.

In Fall of Lang Vie Blue main has much better defenses compared to Red with Quad, at least two Mutts, a Sherman, and the Cobra's heatseeking missiles and gunner. Blue guys also have the dreaded Nagi79 ?

It all depends on the skill of players and team balance. Sometimes if one team is stuck with most players who just want kills and don't care about flags or defending main, then that team loses. Notice that even when your main is getting captured some players continue to snipe. You keep calling for "Reinforcements" but they just want to snipe ?

You can see this in the final score-shot. The guy with the highest score is still from the losing team. That's the lone dude who did everything (getting flags, defending main, killing incoming rapers, etc) for his team and his team still lost because most of his team didn't get enough flags to win.

Last edited:

Jum_P

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
8:03 AM
Reaction score
In Khe Sahn Red team starts with an advantage of all or most of the flags if I'm not mistaken. Blue team has to cap flags or loses tickets.
You mistaken, blue main counts as 3 flags, so blue and red team starts with equal flag number. Blue need to keep only 3 flags instead of 5 for red to make enemy team bleed. With 2 helis, F-4 with its heatseekers and easy taken red main its never been a problem to win for blue team, sure if they not lost their main. At low numbers reds almost no chances to win this map, if they not took blue main.

At Fall of Lang Vei, easy to take blue team main is a real problem, no matter what weapons blue have, red need only few seconds to neutralize it with 2-3 people from spawn mi, wich comes to main very often.

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Historically, Khe Sahn has been an admin nightmare to manage. Main raping has always been a problem. it is a small map and when you have two choppers with heat seekers and the F4 with the hot stuff, trouble is bound to arise.

I don't know what the percentages might be but I suspect that 90% of the time, if blue takes red main, the map is over. And that is unfortunate because it is a fun map for ground and air.

htn

Forum Rookie
TECHNICIAN
BATTLEFIELD VIETNAM ADMIN
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
7:03 AM
Reaction score
Well..in my opinion, red has the possibility of 2 tunnels, which (if used) compensates that mostly.

And the Main Rape is not really a problem, because most players know the rules and follow them. Maybe it is one, if the server as nearly empty, but with > 10 Players..no..not more than on other maps.

Nitrofish

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
You mistaken, blue main counts as 3 flags, so blue and red team starts with equal flag number. Blue need to keep only 3 flags instead of 5 for red to make enemy team bleed. With 2 helis, F-4 with its heatseekers and easy taken red main its never been a problem to win for blue team, sure if they not lost their main. At low numbers reds almost no chances to win this map, if they not took blue main.

At Fall of Lang Vei, easy to take blue team main is a real problem, no matter what weapons blue have, red need only few seconds to neutralize it with 2-3 people from spawn mi, wich comes to main very often.

Well said Jum_P!

In other words, tactics...tactics...tactics!

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Well..in my opinion, red has the possibility of 2 tunnels, which (if used) compensates that mostly.

And the Main Rape is not really a problem, because most players know the rules and follow them. Maybe it is one, if the server as nearly empty, but with > 10 Players..no..not more than on other maps.

Yes, it has two tunnels. But those tunnels last for but a short while if the flag is capped by blue. They smoke then explode. And if blue takes red main, it's a a process to move one of the tunnels to the other side of the map, to try to recover red main.

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score

If you blue gets Rick into the Cobra, he does a very good job of protecting blue main. Most guys get in the Cobra and take off, leaving the main for easy pickings. It is such a small map. Another map which makes me wonder what the designers were thinking. Red has a spawn chopper and a tunnel to start. If they get middle flag, they pick up another spawn tunnel.

Back