• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

[Poll] BFV Rule Amendments

Do you agree with the more strict rules on swearing and insulting?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Local time
10:36 AM
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Good evening BFV community,

I hope everyone is well?

Recently our very own @-[HELLO]-Al Gore has reminded us that there is a possible younger generation that would want to play BFV, except due to our lenience with swearing etc, they might not be allowed on our server.

Now, we obviously won't want to be over strict, but I think that this type of change is going to be universally beneficial. I think that second to Main Rape, the most complained about thing is insults and players swearing at other players.

With the above two scenarios in mind, we are going to be amending the following rule for our Battlefield Vietnam server:

The current rule being:
Racism & excessive Insulting will not be tolerated:

This is probably our main rule on -[HELLO]-Bfv | Allmaps, and is not to be interpreted wrongly. While cussing, swearing, having controversial discussions and using controversial nicknames is allowed to a certain point, the line is crossed when someone is offended. So, what is offensive? This is one of the biggest issues we have in the community perception of ban reports. Obviously, people have different opinions and views on certain matters. So to clarify, something is offensive when someone is offended, even if the offender doesn't think it is.

The least we can do then is to ask of him to stop bothering the person in question. Moving on from what's generally offensive, to insulting. We ask you not to insult people in a offensive manner based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, disability status, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability or any other status that might really offend a person.

The amended rule being:
Racism, Swearing & Insulting will not be tolerated:

To encourage a more friendly atmosphere, our server has a zero tolerance policy on swearing, insulting and racism. Further, this rule is to ensure our server has no toxicity as well as no verbal animosity towards other players.

As such, swearing is entirely forbidden, along with calling other players racial slurs or insulting terms. Enforcement of this rule is done primarily through the servers Banned Words program. We have added the most common swear words and slurs to this list. The result is that if a player uses a banned word in-game, the server will automatically warn you (this will be changed to automatically kick a banned word user once the rule has become accustomed to), if a player continues using banned words within a few rounds, the player will automatically be kicked and if it's repeated again they should be auto banned. Please refer to Admin Courses Of Action topic for further details.

The Courses of Action topic will also be amended once the change takes place, and the changes will be as follows:

The current section that will be changed is:

Chat based offenses;

Example: Spamming, inappropriate names and inappropriate language.

All of these offenses are of the same type, so if someone chat spams and get's kicked, then decides to be abusive with poor choices of words, they will be banned. As is to be expected though, admin discretion will be used in all circumstances. An Admin may warn the user if they choose to, otherwise they will be kicked immediately.

Actions to be expected:

1. The player will be kicked as soon as the offense is committed.

2. Should the player keep it up after they have been kicked, they will be banned for a period entirely dependent upon their behavior.

Further examples of the above rule:

Repeating the same message multiple times. (by text or in-game commands)

Warning players of an important situation multiple times, within reason. (losing main, stolen aircraft)

Names which are abusive or derogatory and targeted at a player. ('x is an idiot' is not ok)

Names which a good number of people take offence to. (Hitler, SS soldier etc.)

Names which deliberately impersonate another player

Names that imply you're in an established clan when you're not really a member.

Names that contain profanity.

Names that can't be seen clearly in-game.

Names that aren't visible to us through the RM Admin tool.

Names which include sexual chat, within reason.

Names which may contain abusive/derogatory words but are not targeted at a player. ('idiot' is fine.)

Repeatedly being abusive to someone. (targeted insulting)

Racist language is not appropriate.

Anything deemed excessive by an admin. (Like everything you say being an insult)

Excessive accusing of hacks/weapon insulting/whiner or crying comments.

Being asked to stop by the player you are targeting and refusing to. (within reason)

Occasional sexual chat is fine, within reason. An admin or player can ask you to stop if they feel it has gone too far as we do get people of all ages here.

The occasional rude comment is fine. Saying it as a joke if the player understands is fine. However, if the player asks you to stop or feels offended you are expected to stop.

The changed version will be:

Chat based offenses;

Example: Spamming, inappropriate names and inappropriate language.

All of these offenses are of the same type, so if someone chat spams and get's kicked, then decides to be abusive with poor choices of words, they will be banned. As is to be expected though, admin discretion will be used in all circumstances. An Admin may warn the user if they choose to, otherwise they will be kicked immediately.

Actions to be expected:

1. The player will be kicked as soon as the offense is committed.

2. Should the player keep it up after they have been kicked, they will be banned for a period entirely dependent upon their behavior.

Further examples of the above rule:

Repeating the same message multiple times. (by text or in-game commands)

Names which are abusive or derogatory and targeted at a player. ('x is an idiot' is not ok)

Names which a good number of people take offence to. (Hitler, SS soldier etc.)

Names which deliberately impersonate another player

Names that imply you're in an established clan when you're not really a member.

Names that contain profanity.

Names that contain slurs.

Names that can't be seen clearly in-game.

Names that aren't visible to us through the RM Admin tool.

Any form of swearing, utterances of insulting slurs etc.

Racist language is not appropriate.

Anything deemed excessive by an admin. (Like everything you say being an insult)

Excessive accusing of hacks/weapon insulting/whiner or crying comments.

The occasional rude comment is fine. Saying it as a joke if the player understands is fine. However, if the player asks you to stop or feels offended you are expected to stop.

The above changes will come into effect next weekend (6th Feb 2021) if there is no objection to the changes. This topic will have a hyperlink created for it and it will be shared to our Discord server and Steam Group, I will also make special provision for it to be visible seen in the in-game announcements.

Please read through this topic and vote on the poll or verbally voice your view on it.

Regards,
Ice

Ps:

With these changes, it has also occurred to me that we never actually had a proper design of forum rules. I will do that over the weekend time permitting but they will be shaped similarly to what our Discord rules are.

Pinky

Normal Poster
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
3:36 AM
Reaction score
I the idea.

In the early days of the game, the game allowed for auto-kick if a player used certain banned words. The problem was, players would then change the spelling of the offensive word, such as "phuk you". If they used the "N" word, it was an auto-kick. So they would just change the spelling.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
I the idea.

In the early days of the game, the game allowed for auto-kick if a player used certain banned words. The problem was, players would then change the spelling of the offensive word, such as "phuk you". If they used the "N" word, it was an auto-kick. So they would just change the spelling.

This is true, and this is why the Admins will be present to assist in such situations. ;) For the most part the blatant and outright swearing will be stopped. The more subtle stuff is where the Admins will come in.

Regards,
Ice

htn

Forum Rookie
TECHNICIAN
BATTLEFIELD VIETNAM ADMIN
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Ice,

do you plan to remove the negation-categories or will they kept unchanged?

I think you want to remove them, because you appended "What is inappropiate language" with parts of "What isnt inappropiate language".

But then I think that it would be nice, if in the future "What is chat spamming?" rule there would be the rule exception of the todays "What isnt chat spamming?" which says:
Warning players of an important situation multiple times, within reason. (losing main, stolen aircraft)

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Hi Ice,

do you plan to remove the negation-categories or will they kept unchanged?

I think you want to remove them, because you appended "What is inappropiate language" with parts of "What isnt inappropiate language".

But then I think that it would be nice, if in the future "What is chat spamming?" rule there would be the rule exception of the todays "What isnt chat spamming?" which says:

Howdy HTN,

Well I had intended to remove them and they would appear as they are there in the changed format. I didn't think it needed that we should have examples of what isn't etc...because then a possible further loophole is created.

But we can amend this. :)

Regards,
Ice

htn

Forum Rookie
TECHNICIAN
BATTLEFIELD VIETNAM ADMIN
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Ice,

i don't think we need the negations, too. I agree with you that there would be a loophole created otherwise.

But that specific definition, what no chat spamming is (Main losing warning, Stolen Aircraft), is in my opinion important, so that there is less scope for interpretation ;)

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Hi Ice,

i don't think we need the negations, too. I agree with you that there would be a loophole created otherwise.

But that specific definition, what no chat spamming is (Main losing warning, Stolen Aircraft), is in my opinion important, so that there is less scope for interpretation ;)

Sorry I was going to reply earlier.

When it comes to being implemented, I will add the suggested definitions back. ;)

Reactions: htn
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Just an update here:

The new rule changes will be postponed till next weekend or so. This is to allow some more time on voting, even though it is a given, as well as for more ideas regarding words to add to the banned words function. Also, it is because I will be away for a short bit and wouldn't want to kick off the changes and not be around to deal with any questions or issues that may arise. :p

During this time, it is advised that you all take a moment to list the bad words you would like banned and the Admins will review them. Please note, when listing these words you must use the spoiler tag.

When composing a response to a topic, insert a spoiler like this:
1612384809224.png

Then like like this:

1612384860971.png

Note, you do not need to enter a title when creating the spoiler.

Regards,
Ice

Vmax

Regular Poster
-[HELLO]-BFV
-[HELLO]-BF1942
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
6:36 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
RatFink
I am happy to go along with the principal but I don't like the proposed changes.

I may never be able to play a full map again :D

Last edited:

Vmax

Regular Poster
-[HELLO]-BFV
-[HELLO]-BF1942
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
6:36 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
RatFink
Why Vmax? Curious.
Because I would be autokicked for using some of those terms. Any other Aussies playing will struggle with it as well. I am not too worried about swear words BUT don't like people trolling others and my focus has always been on that.

D

Deleted member 10634

Because I would be autokicked for using some of those terms. Any other Aussies playing will struggle with it as well. I am not too worried about swear words BUT don't like people trolling others and my focus has always been on that.
upload_-1.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Greetings all,

Considering the votes and everything else that has been discussed in this topic and the topic Al had made, the rule amendments will come in to effect this Friday (12th February 2021).

The relevant topics will be changed accordingly now in advance of the official instatement date. I will create a new topic that will replace this one as a pinned topic, that will address the changes made and list the topics changed and also once more they will also list the actual changes that were made.

Please note, that for the first month of implementation of these amendments, players that break the amended rules will be warned first automatically by the server for using banned words. The same case being if the word is not in the banned words list, an Admin will warn the offending player. Once this month has passed, it will be changed to immediately kick an offending player. This month period is to allow adjustment for our existing players.

Also to note: the forum is now subject to rules as well.

I will announce those later on.

Regards,
Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back