• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Explain to me how to use the mortar

Nitrofish

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
5:52 AM
Reaction score
Alright mortar dudes and BF veterans, I have a question for ya.

I was having some fun firing off mortars during a battle on Irving when after an accidental finger slip on the mouse, a map appeared that I've never seen before. Before I could figure out what the map was I was blown to bits from a huey missle. When I respawned I tried to get the map back but wasn't able to get it and the battle ended not too long after that.

Was that a map used to zero in mortar fire? All this time, years even, I've just lobbed the shells by visual and using best guess, then walking the shells around to see if I was able to get someone. I'm wondering if a teammate used the binoculars to call for mortar fire and that's why I was able to get a map to come up. I'm not even sure which button I hit to get the map, possibly the button I have set for jump.

If this was in fact a tool designed to assist mortars, my mind has been blown!

Jum_P

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
12:52 PM
Reaction score
Alternative fire / scoped veiw button -- by default right mouse button. Its avaible if someone gave you a target with binocolaurs / Loach. Working with all artilery: mortar, M-110, M-46. This mode lets you correct your fire with your teammates help.
  • Binoculars - Aim at a location with right mouse then press left mouse. This will give artillery line of sight for 1 minute or until you die. Players on artillery can switch between targets with the mouse wheel. The Loach has this as an alternative fire option.

Local time
Reaction score
Steam
 antiawp
As most players know, I mortar all the time especially in ground maps. Of course I am not even close to being as good as Russ-Warrior. Have you seen his mortar kills video? It's amazing!

When you are mortaring or firing an artillery gun, you can "Requesting A Target" by pressing (I think) F4 and then F3. Your teammates will immediately see in their minimap that someone on a mortar/artillery position is "Requesting A Target". They appear as a blinking Red or Blue dot on the minimap. If they are equipped with binoculars in their weapons list, they can use the binocular to pinpoint a target by clicking their left mouse button while watching through the binocular.

Then the player firing mortar/artillery can see a message saying "Enemy Spotted". This means that one of your team mates has pointed to a target with their binocular. You will also see a Yellow triangle in your minimap showing the direction where the target has been spotted. Then after you fire a shell and you right click you will see your shell inflight and where it is hitting. You have an X and Y axis to fine tune your coordinates and correct the accuracy. Most players install the mortar close to a weapons resupply box so that you can constantly fire the mortar without worrying about reloading/refilling shells.

Mortar is an amazing tool and can cause serious damage to the enemy team if used correctly and if your teammates help sending targets repeatedly. @Jum_P and a few other players frequently spot enemy flags for me. Just yesterday (Tuesday) tina did this for me in one of the Hue maps.

Local time
Reaction score
Steam
 antiawp
Alright mortar dudes and BF veterans, I have a question for ya.

I was having some fun firing off mortars during a battle on Irving when after an accidental finger slip on the mouse, a map appeared that I've never seen before. Before I could figure out what the map was I was blown to bits from a huey missle. When I respawned I tried to get the map back but wasn't able to get it and the battle ended not too long after that.

Was that a map used to zero in mortar fire? All this time, years even, I've just lobbed the shells by visual and using best guess, then walking the shells around to see if I was able to get someone. I'm wondering if a teammate used the binoculars to call for mortar fire and that's why I was able to get a map to come up. I'm not even sure which button I hit to get the map, possibly the button I have set for jump.

Where are you? You are missing all the action since we last saw you in 2021. We had a great Christmas BFV event yesterday. Good news! We have a new mortar buddy called @Algam🍞🐝 ClintEastwood and Skillz got back recently. I hope you are safe and strong. See you in the game soldier.

rage vs machine

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
4:52 AM
Reaction score
As most players know, I mortar all the time especially in ground maps. Of course I am not even close to being as good as Russ-Warrior. Have you seen his mortar kills video? It's amazing!

When you are mortaring or firing an artillery gun, you can "Requesting A Target" by pressing (I think) F4 and then F3. Your teammates will immediately see in their minimap that someone on a mortar/artillery position is "Requesting A Target". They appear as a blinking Red or Blue dot on the minimap. If they are equipped with binoculars in their weapons list, they can use the binocular to pinpoint a target by clicking their left mouse button while watching through the binocular.

Then the player firing mortar/artillery can see a message saying "Enemy Spotted". This means that one of your team mates has pointed to a target with their binocular. You will also see a Yellow triangle in your minimap showing the direction where the target has been spotted. Then after you fire a shell and you right click you will see your shell inflight and where it is hitting. You have an X and Y axis to fine tune your coordinates and correct the accuracy. Most players install the mortar close to a weapons resupply box so that you can constantly fire the mortar without worrying about reloading/refilling shells.

Mortar is an amazing tool and can cause serious damage to the enemy team if used correctly and if your teammates help sending targets repeatedly. @Jum_P and a few other players frequently spot enemy flags for me. Just yesterday (Tuesday) tina did this for me in one of the Hue maps.
Hi Mister Vice President, can you please post a link to Russ-Warrior's video?

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Denal
@x4|Al Gore Have you ever seen the old videos where it's just a 2-3 minute video compilation of a guy shooting down helicopters with mortars on different maps? I remember there were two videos by the same guy, but I don't remember their names and I couldn't find them again when I searched today.

Local time
Reaction score
Steam
 antiawp
@x4|Al Gore Have you ever seen the old videos where it's just a 2-3 minute video compilation of a guy shooting down helicopters with mortars on different maps? I remember there were two videos by the same guy, but I don't remember their names and I couldn't find them again when I searched today.
I think I remember that. Wasn't it Clint? I will have to search my YT history.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Denal
Local time
4:52 AM
Reaction score
I think the video in question was called "Battlefield Vietnam Best moments"

Back