• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Maps Poll?

T

TonyB

It seems that the HELLO BFV server has always been an "All Maps" BFV server. It is apparent that the server has good participation in most of the "air" maps but often the numbers drop when the game goes to "ground only" maps.

Have you given any thought to perhaps conducting a survey as to whether a few of the ground maps could be dropped? I like most of the ground maps. Fall of Saigon is one I would like to see go and only because we end up with so few players playing it and it's a big map. If we had 50 players on it, I would enjoy the map.

Another problem seems to be that when the server switches to the ground maps, some guys go AFK. Some will go to spectator which helps.

Times change. Maybe it's time to take out one or two of the maps that cause us to lose players. Just a thought. Thanks for providing a great game server.

pinky

T

TonyB

This is one of the things I like about you guys; you do listen and take into consideration suggestions for improvements.

If it was air only maps, I am sure you would lose players. There are players who basically will play only those maps that have air. The rest of the players play all of the maps, like me. I may not like playing them but it beats the alternatives.... like work.

I'm not saying take out all of the ground maps (my favorite is Reclaiming Hue). Just a couple of them.

In an effort to try to identify them, at least for me:

Hue
Ho Chi Trail
Landing Zone
Quang Tri
Ho Chi Trail Alt
Reclaiming Hue
Fall of Saigon (one plane that's like flying a tank - too big for small numbers)

Perhaps ask players, which of these maps, if any, would you vote to remove from the play list. Pick two.

Again, I do appreciate that you providing the server.

pinky

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
4:23 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
Below you will find all the maps:

operation_hastings
hue
operation_flaming_dart
ho_chi_minh_trail
operation_cedar_falls
quang_tri_alt
operation_game_warden
landing_zone_albany
operation_irving
quang_tri
lang_vei
ho_chi_minh_trail_alt
defense_of_con_thien
hue_alt
ia_drang
fall_of_saigon
khe_sahn
saigon68

And you just mentioned over half of all the ground maps. I'm sure there are lots of players who would miss those.
Also, "-[HELLO]-BFV | AlmostAllmaps" doesn't have the same ring to it. :D

I get what you mean with the larger maps though.

Last week I doubled the ticket bleed on Fall of Saigon in the hopes it would not have a huge impact on the rounds where it's played well, but will end faster should that not be the case.
It might need modifying some more but for now I'd just like to see how it goes as I think solutions like these are much better than removing maps, especially as we are one of the only remaining servers and the only one with players that provides an almost original experience.

Not to mention, there are people that enjoy some of the maps you listed much more than the air maps. For me, Landing zone Albany is one of my favourites, especially as it is pretty much entirely infantry only. Fall of Saigon is one of the best maps for C4 cars and sniping. I'd take these maps over hastings etc. any day.

If you can come up with other solutions that don't involve entirely removing the map though i'd be interested in considering them.

jimmyboy

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
10:23 AM
Reaction score
Instead of removing any maps you should just put them in order of popularity
Maybe from LEAST to MOST popular ending with Hastings that way the attendance on the server continually builds every rotation .. should be easy since you have the statistics

Just a suggestion :evil: :/ 0.o :xp: :tired: :p ;) :cool: :lol:

T

TonyB

SK if you are able to adjust the tickets, etc., that would help. I love Saigon68 and Con Thien but they seem to fly by while Saigon drags on and on.

You and your C4.

pinky

Vmax

Regular Poster
-[HELLO]-BFV
-[HELLO]-BF1942
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
1:23 AM
Reaction score
Real Name
RatFink
Can Map vote be enabled so that if the majority want to go to a certain map or skip a map that its possible?

Currently admins can do this but its only practical when low numbers of players are on.

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
jimmyboy said:
Instead of removing any maps you should just put them in order of popularity
Maybe from LEAST to MOST popular ending with Hastings that way the attendance on the server continually builds every rotation .. should be easy since you have the statistics

Just a suggestion :evil: :/ 0.o :xp: :tired: :p ;) :cool: :lol:

Someone likes the forum smilies...
The stats don't show popularity though? And chances are that people wont really show up until the "good" maps come on and then disappear again or we'd have so many maps people dislike in succession that they don't want to join at all.

pinky said:
SK if you are able to adjust the tickets, etc., that would help. I love Saigon68 and Con Thien but they seem to fly by while Saigon drags on and on.

You and your C4.

pinky

I can do this, but it's going to be a lot of trial and error and testing to see how it goes.
Fall of Saigon should be made twice as long so I can have even more C4 fun. :D

Vmax said:
Can Map vote be enabled so that if the majority want to go to a certain map or skip a map that its possible?

Currently admins can do this but its only practical when low numbers of players are on.

We'd have to make this a rather high majority though. I'm thinking around 90%
There are no safeguards for it so there would be nothing stopping players restricting the server to 1 map regardless of what others might want and I don't believe them being the majority should be an excuse.
Chances are we'd be stuck with a bunch of air maps on repeat so admins will be stuck watching for main rape and those of us that are not particular fans of air maps wont get a break from it.

I think this would have to be our last option should modifying tickets and ticket bleed rates not make enough of a difference.

T

TonyB

Maybe this has been asked and if so, I apologize. Is there a way to boot the AFKs automatically? It would be nice to boot them after so much time if they have no score or the maps switch.

I'm in favor of the vote-kick feature. I loved that feature back in the day. It was the fast way to get the AFKs off.

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
Ahh, those stats.
Unless I'm mistaken then they show the popular maps on the server based on how often the map is played. As we cycle through them all, that's why they are all almost the same %.

The reason Hastings, hue and flaming dart have a higher % is because they are the first 3 maps, and every time the server has 0 players the server goes back to Hastings, thus giving them a higher count and any maps at the end a lower one.

T

TonyB

SK, can you enable player voting a day here and there? Just for fun. I miss the days of starting a boot-a-player vote. I used to laugh my butt off with those things. You (SK) would be the first player I would move to boot! It's so funny to watch the posts that follow and it was usually "What did I do?" or "WTF!" - I was just messing with them. The best part is when other guys would then post "Stop the voting shit!" LOL

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
As enjoyable as it may be for some people, with our already dwindling server population allowing players to kick other players is only going to worsen the issue.

Regarding the maps though, if we can get input on what maps you all feel are too long/short i'll see what I can do.

Code:
operation_hastings 
hue 
operation_flaming_dart 
ho_chi_minh_trail 
operation_cedar_falls 
quang_tri_alt 
operation_game_warden 
landing_zone_albany 
operation_irving 
quang_tri 
lang_vei 
ho_chi_minh_trail_alt 
defense_of_con_thien 
hue_alt 
ia_drang 
fall_of_saigon 
khe_sahn 
saigon68

jimmyboy

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
10:23 AM
Reaction score
Hmm .. add more points/tickets to Hastings - Hue - Lang Vei and Khe Sahn .. those seem to be the most popular maps when most people actually show up

Everyone is always scrambling for aircraft .. a chopper or jet so this might be discouraging them as well .. but you have mentioned you do not want to change the spawn time for vehicles or their numbers

BFV is dwindling since it is competing with all the other things gamers can be playing .. if they cant find that vehicle gun or map they want here they will simply go elsewhere

T

TonyB

I think a map poll could help you. Let players vote on their five favorite maps. Those maps at the bottom you can jimmie the tickets. The ones at the top give more tickets.

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
I'm messing with bleed rates currently. I had Fall of Saigon end rather quickly once the enemy had most of the flags, too quickly in fact so it may need some more tweaking. I think this is the best approach though so I'll keep trying to get a good balance.

T

TonyB

When the number of players is low, some of the ground only maps drag on and on. Hope you can get a bleed set on those too. I do like them but I can't do 90 minute on map. Guys go AFK and they take even longer.

Thanks for your hard work on the maps.

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
All maps have a bleed rate, it's just going to be a matter of increasing it to get a good balance.

As soon as one team has the advantage though the opposing team should noticeably see their tickets decline; this might even help promote flag capping rather than just killing people at the flags too as they will become a lot more important...

Fall of Saigon, Ho chi minh trail and Cambodian incursion have been modified for now, we'll see how that goes.

Back