• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Spectating!

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
8:30 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
Hey,

So, for as long as I've been here, and from what I'm told ever since the server started up (7 years if I'm correct), we have not had spectating on All Maps; not because we didn't want to, but because we couldn't.
We could enable the setting, restart the server and try it, but you'd just get this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF7nK2ZYmqY[/youtube]

You'd have the spectator overlay, but be able to play as normal. You also wouldn't be moved to the spectator group. This gave players an unfair advantage, as the video clearly shows that you are able to see if a flag is being captured, and for that reason it was left disabled.

However, it's a very useful feature, especially for us admins. It would allow us to better enforce the rules, especially regarding mainrape, and keep an eye on players whose offenses are game-related more than chat related.

52 messages between me and the server host, some help from =KGC= Barfly and 2 weeks later, we now have it fixed! :)

It is currently enabled with the following settings :
60 second switch time - This isn't designed to be a way for you to switch to spectator, find the enemy, then kill them.
Chat - There are guidelines regarding this though, so please read those first.
I also believe that your score is wiped when you choose to go spectator, so every time you do go in to this mode you'll lose all your score.

There are also some rules governing its use which are subject to change:

1. Only one player per IP/Keyhash/Person/Residence etc is allowed in Spectator mode at any given time. We don't want it being used as a secondary radar where you can see everyone.

2. Players can go to spectator mode if they wish to be AFK, but if the server is full or there are no empty spectating slots, and an admin needs one, then they will be kicked to make room.

3. Players may not use Spectator mode to warn players of flags being lost or give away player permissions. This falls under the common sense rule and you will be warned/kicked/banned for playing disruptively.

If you run into any issues with this feature, or have questions, feel free to let us know. Also, thank BarFly for his help. :)

Regards,
SucceededKiller.

Dogfighter

Master Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
2:30 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Tim
Its just my 2 cents, but should it be made it to where just administrators have spectator? That way you don't have people using it to their own benefit? Again, just my 2 cents.

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
8:30 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
Dogfighter said:
Its just my 2 cents, but should it be made it to where just administrators have spectator? That way you don't have people using it to their own benefit? Again, just my 2 cents.

Unfortunately, the option is everyone or no-one. I haven't seen it abused yet though as most people prefer to play than sit and watch, regardless of any advantage it could give.

CommandoBeta

Grand Master
REGISTERED
Local time
9:30 PM
Reaction score
Great that it's fixed, this has always been a problem for the server.

Do you know what caused the problem?

Back