• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

BFVN PC PowerPlay mag with CD-ROM circa 2004 Australia only?

SLEESTAK

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
5:25 PM
Reaction score
Hi everynyan! I'm new here and I just wanna say; dang! the Operation Remembrance Mod is so great, so beyond great, so beyond ridiculously great. Thanks to arvnranger for all his work, I've been playing myself to pieces on it.
The story:
I bought from a newsagent, for approx $30 AUD in 2004ish, a special collector's edition PC gaming magazine dedicated to Battlefield: Vietnam. I'm pretty sure it was before BVN REDUX. It was not the Prima guide, of this I am certain. It was some weird Australia only release, maybe in cahoots with PC PowerPlay, maybe not. It came with a CD or DVD ROM that had a demo of BF1942 and the secret weapons mod along with the 1.12? patch for BFvietnam and wallpapers, desktop themes etc.
The magazine itself was like a "hardcover" TPB, thick cover, thickish glossy inside, full colour, as tall and wide as your standard PC mag in the early 2000s, but as far as I can recall it didn't have any advertising for other games like the usual special edition of a mag, it was only BVN. It started with history about the war - with lots of actual photos, including the running girl, and a GI with a Fender acoustic guitar on his back secured with string. The rest of the magazine was info and pictures about the game with hundreds of screens shots, asset shots, weapons guides, explanations for each map with each start screen as title pages, info about regiments etc.
It was jammed with all things BVN, more than 70 pages, and like a damn foolish child I threw it out one day. or donated it to Goodwill, cannot at all remember. And I had never even owned Battlefield Vietnam! My mum wouldn't let me get it and we never had a computer good enough to run it anyway.... but it got me through some tough times, flicking though that book, considering the history, imagining the game, imagining multiplayer. It was all a crazy dream that was almost more valuable than having the real thing.
I did play the demo of secret weaponsWW2 that came with the disk and used the wallpapers and random other stuff off the disk until it too disappeared off the face of the Earth. Then years and years later ,after being distracted by life, I got dopeman's version of BVN and played it finally and it was instantly in my top 5 favourite games ever. I've still never played multiplayer online!
So anyway, now that you all think I'm lame etc I just wanna say thanks again for the OP Remembrance mod arvnranger, (especially the Battle of Long Tan map!) gonna fire it up again right nowowowowowow!

TLDR: Does anyone know about a BVN special edition magazine with disk available in Australian newsagents 2004-2005? If so; may I pay you too much money for a copy? Or can we get it put in a lost media ice-berg?

Cheers!
Thanks for having me here
EDIT: sorry I've already messed up, mods, feel free to move this post to where it should go

Last edited:

LTShaun

Regular Poster
HELLOCLAN LEADERSHIP
-[HELLO]-BFV
-[HELLO]-BF1942
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
3:55 AM
Reaction score
Hi everynyan! I'm new here and I just wanna say; dang! the Operation Remembrance Mod is so great, so beyond great, so beyond ridiculously great. Thanks to arvnranger for all his work, I've been playing myself to pieces on it.
The story:
I bought from a newsagent, for approx $30 AUD in 2004ish, a special collector's edition PC gaming magazine dedicated to Battlefield: Vietnam. I'm pretty sure it was before BVN REDUX. It was not the Prima guide, of this I am certain. It was some weird Australia only release, maybe in cahoots with PC PowerPlay, maybe not. It came with a CD or DVD ROM that had a demo of BF1942 and the secret weapons mod along with the 1.12? patch for BFvietnam and wallpapers, desktop themes etc.
The magazine itself was like a "hardcover" TPB, thick cover, thickish glossy inside, full colour, as tall and wide as your standard PC mag in the early 2000s, but as far as I can recall it didn't have any advertising for other games like the usual special edition of a mag, it was only BVN. It started with history about the war - with lots of actual photos, including the running girl, and a GI with a Fender acoustic guitar on his back secured with string. The rest of the magazine was info and pictures about the game with hundreds of screens shots, asset shots, weapons guides, explanations for each map with each start screen as title pages, info about regiments etc.
It was jammed with all things BVN, more than 70 pages, and like a damn foolish child I threw it out one day. or donated it to Goodwill, cannot at all remember. And I had never even owned Battlefield Vietnam! My mum wouldn't let me get it and we never had a computer good enough to run it anyway.... but it got me through some tough times, flicking though that book, considering the history, imagining the game, imagining multiplayer. It was all a crazy dream that was almost more valuable than having the real thing.
I did play the demo of secret weaponsWW2 that came with the disk and used the wallpapers and random other stuff off the disk until it too disappeared off the face of the Earth. Then years and years later ,after being distracted by life, I got dopeman's version of BVN and played it finally and it was instantly in my top 5 favourite games ever. I've still never played multiplayer online!
So anyway, now that you all think I'm lame etc I just wanna say thanks again for the OP Remembrance mod arvnranger, (especially the Battle of Long Tan map!) gonna fire it up again right nowowowowowow!

TLDR: Does anyone know about a BVN special edition magazine with disk available in Australian newsagents 2004-2005? If so; may I pay you too much money for a copy? Or can we get it put in a lost media ice-berg?

Cheers!
EDIT: sorry I've already messed up, mods, feel free to move this post to where it should go
Welcome to our community, see you in game 🫡

Local time
3:55 AM
Reaction score
Real Name
Denal
I'm ARVNRanger over on ModDB, and I'm so happy to see that you're enjoying my mod so much! Welcome to the community, and hopefully I'll see you online sometime, maybe even during an Operation Remembrance event. Keep your eyes out for the next update, because it's going to be BIG!

Local time
2:55 AM
Reaction score
The story:

Cheers!
Welcome! It's always good to see new people in our clan!

SLEESTAK

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
5:25 PM
Reaction score
I'm ARVNRanger over on ModDB, and I'm so happy to see that you're enjoying my mod so much! Welcome to the community, and hopefully I'll see you online sometime, maybe even during an Operation Remembrance event. Keep your eyes out for the next update, because it's going to be BIG!
AWESOME! Thank you sir, you're doing God's work. And thanks to all your collaborators who have also contributed tremendously, in the far past and in the near future!
EDIT: I know I've missed many names involved with the OPR mod and maps contributed, weapons and everything, sorry, I'm still learning all the lineage! Love all yer works, er'body!

Last edited:
Back