• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

A Sunday Scurvy revival

Butcher

Forum Newbie
BF1942 DESERT COMBAT ADMIN
REGISTERED
Local time
9:21 AM
Reaction score
The thought of restarting the Battlefield Pirates mod events started a brief discussion on Discord, which I think should be brought here for more thorough debate. I am a huge fan of the mod for its variety of gameplay, very detailed and thought out maps, as well as the immersive setting. It is the only mod that really benefits from the BF1942-engine in supporting everything from intense infantry-combat to massive naval warfare.

Expected activity
To briefly summarize an analysis from last year, when we ran a Pirates-event every Sunday for a period, the initial attendance and activity was high. But quite like the DC-server, activity varies a lot when players come from both Europe and America. Thus there was often two peaks of activity, but whilst the initial activity was great, with 20-30 attendees for the first few weeks, but it steadily declined until there was 3-4 and it petered out.

I wouldn't expect such events to be a cure for activity-levels generally, but like for the servers themselves, catering to the niche works. Events should be special, and rare, to appear as one-offs even though they aren't really. Drawing players in, and with sufficient notice, takes effort.

Ideal duration
Some communities favor very long events, which stretches the available players and the intensity of the gameplay out. I think Hello's model of shorter, more populated, more intense events win out in this regard. BF1942, BFV, DC, and Pirates all work better in that setting. 2 primary hours, padded with half an hour either side, seems to work well. Those 3 hours are long enough that some will attend all the way through, and some will stop by, but it's definitely an event rather than an activity.

Purpose
I am more unsure of an ideal interval. We know weekly petered out, and 6 months between each seems too rare, but I am quite convinced bespoke events will garner more interest than something regular. It's also essential that events are added to Discord and spread to the other BF1942-communities, otherwise only 3-4 players will result.

Please share your thoughts on how worthwhile such events would be.

Last edited:

Demiurge

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
I agree with the idea of having periodic event sessions which happen more often than now! Have yet to join into a "Pirate" event, but watching "Everything Battlefield's" youtube videos on it definitely make me wanna join in (issue has always been the times/dates the event typically comes on for, and how rare they happen)

Butcher

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what timezone / region are you in, and what times of week fit you best for events? Typically they are placed on weekends with times like the upcoming one - a balance of European evenings/American afternoons, to capture as many players as possible.

Crash

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
Pirates is a great mod. I know at least 3 players that regularly play 42 that will play a one off pirates event for sure.

Butcher

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
What do you think would be an appropriate interval between events? As said, the last round of weekly events lost activity week after week, and the argument for rarity holds weight, but half a year between each might be too long.

Butcher

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
That could be viable, there's certainly the variety in maps to keep it interesting. A fair few people asked to repeat the event, and there was good activity throughout the 3.5 hours it lasted: We basically had 20+ for the expected two hours, and a peak with almost 30, and the usual tails of 5-10.

Back