• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Randomized Map Rotation Discussion

Do you like this idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Local time
10:46 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Greetings everyone,

A few players...have made mention of the "tiresome" order of the maps on our main server. Arguably we've tried many combinations etc...however we've never tried throwing them all over the place and seeing what happens.

Our RM (the software used to manage the server) has a built in "randomizer" for the map list, so I thought we may as well give it a bash. It theoretically will take some time for it to reach a "similar" rotation as to what we are accustomed to, we can randomize it quite a few times before it becomes tiresome once more.

The current order starts with Khe Sahn as the idle map / first in the rotation. If this idea is not liked...or if there is a few too many complaints...I will revert it back to the original map list. However, I implore at minimum a week + weekend trial before casting your vote please.

By Monday next week, we'll all decide on how well this works out. On the one hand, it does ensure a SHOCKINGLY different map rotation. On the other...it may require some adjustment in the form of manually swapping some maps around...

If this idea is liked, we can (for example) randomize it at the beginning of every month.

Please note that I'm still sticking with the known facts generated from past trials...and discussions - no maps will be removed. We will remain an all maps server. At least our main server. :)

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
I think this is nice idea

but how it works now? i didn`t see randoimized maps, always khe sahn(yes i saw that this map as an idle map) next on cambodian incursion, and so on always. Is it need to create some schedule to restart server each day at some unplayed time to take effect? then need do it to get real randomize each day.

And would be better get ful randomize including first map, but will it be suitable for first players who get on server? rhitorical question
This is kinda answered. ;) But perhaps not clear...

The current order starts with Khe Sahn as the idle map / first in the rotation. If this idea is not liked...or if there is a few too many complaints...I will revert it back to the original map list. However, I implore at minimum a week + weekend trial before casting your vote please.

By Monday next week, we'll all decide on how well this works out.

If this idea is liked, we can (for example) randomize it at the beginning of every month.

Trying out a "different" rotation now and if it's liked we reset it each month. Or maybe every week. So there's a different rotation of maps every week or month.

Local time
9:46 PM
Reaction score
I'm a creature of habit, so i like the old order. But if the majority votes to keep it random, lets keep it randy.
It certainly feels like certain maps are left out of order. i was on for several hours yesterday, and i know i didnt see Saigon68, which is one of my personal favs, nor did i see Hue 68, another fav...
i hope this "randomizer" plays ALL the maps thru before it starts playing maps that have already been played.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
As with what Heilig just said;

I've only done it once now. As a trial. It does not randomize maps automatically. It basically shuffles the maps when I do it and that's it. It's set to that rotation until I do it again.

Please note that I've asked admins not to change maps during this trial period. I'd like to see the full results and changing maps corrupts the data as well as messes up the rotation set in place by the random set.

Thus far it seems votes that have been taken are in favor of it so far as the trial is working. So we'll maybe extend the trial a bit. I'll randomize the map order tomorrow again and post an update.

Local time
4:46 PM
Reaction score
Steam
 antiawp
Please note that I've asked admins not to change maps during this trial period. I'd like to see the full results and changing maps corrupts the data as well as messes up the rotation set in place by the random set.
Looks like one admin didn't get the memo.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Unfortunately this is my fault as I did not properly communicate the terms for the trial to staff.

This has been rectified.

UPDATE:

Seeing as thus far the votes remain unchanged, I've randomized it again for another week + weekend run. This order starts with Hue as the idle map. I will also remove some more of the casual announcements in-game to make more mention of this change and now include in-game voting.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Just a quick review before Monday;

So far the votes aren't plentiful but they are mostly yes. What I've done now is only kept the mention of this change and our event announcement in the in-game announcements to make it clearer.

If there is no drastic change to this by Monday then we will keep it...and see at what rate we randomize the map order.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
UPDATE:

As it stands when typing this, the votes are at:

1663003547816.png

With this in mind, we're going to keep going with randomizing the map rotation indefinitely as a continued trial. If there is any further feedback or the votes changes, we will revisit this topic.

I'm going to start a new topic that will be locked for responses, it will only be there for voting and users may change their votes. I'll sticky it so it's at the top of the announcements section in the BFV forum.

Please note the new voting thread will feature a vote on how often we should randomize the maps. As of typing this as well, I've scrambled them again (assuming a weekly scramble works).

With this, Admins are free to change maps once more provided there is a majority vote.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
UPDATE;

A new order has been organized. I'm a little late and in lieu of the votes so far here: https://forum.helloclan.eu/threads/10065/ it looks like every week (until votes change otherwise) will see a new map order.

This weeks starts with Game Warden! A reminder that this thread may be used for discussion and if you want to vote or change your vote please use the topic I linked above!

hard_rice

Normal Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
3:46 PM
Reaction score
I missed the vote. Been busy. I will wait to see the new map rotation

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
UPDATE;
This weeks rotation starts with Quang Tri!

A reminder that voting is still open on this thread here: https://forum.helloclan.eu/threads/10065/#post-69518
Votes may be changed at any time on that thread to reflect how one feels about randomizing the maps at start of every week.​

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Just popping this here;

Because of something we're working on (mainly HTN), I've set the idle map for our server back to Hastings. However, I've not changed it's position etc. So Hastings will now always be the idle map (which we know draws in players) but afterward it's completely random as per our weekly reset.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
can we get random map rotation back please?
It...is still happening? ;)

The maps get shuffled at the start of ever week. And play in that shuffled order for that week and shuffled again in a new week.

Though...I think this week they haven't actually been done. I'll check.

EDIT:
The maps weren't randomized this week. Sorry about that. They're done now.

Last edited:
Local time
9:46 PM
Reaction score
It...is still happening? ;)

The maps get shuffled at the start of ever week. And play in that shuffled order for that week and shuffled again in a new week.

Though...I think this week they haven't actually been done. I'll check.

EDIT:
The maps weren't randomized this week. Sorry about that. They're done now.
TY sir

Local time
4:46 PM
Reaction score
Steam
 antiawp
Just popping this here;

Because of something we're working on (mainly HTN), I've set the idle map for our server back to Hastings. However, I've not changed it's position etc. So Hastings will now always be the idle map (which we know draws in players) but afterward it's completely random as per our weekly reset.
Howdy, Idle map on Hastings at all times when the server is empty prevents us to get to the last few maps on the map order, especially during low player turn out and weekdays. I am still glad that randomized shuffling of maps happens every week. This helps ensure that players get to play all maps over a period of time. Thanks!

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Howdy, Idle map on Hastings at all times when the server is empty prevents us to get to the last few maps on the map order, especially during low player turn out and weekdays. I am still glad that randomized shuffling of maps happens every week. This helps ensure that players get to play all maps over a period of time. Thanks!
Hello Al,

We'll try disabling it and see how bad the spam gets. If it becomes too much we'll add it back again. As you saw, it's there for the two reasons of it being an easy idle map that doesn't rotate and also because it is the "gold" map to get players in. :)

But we'll try. :)

Back