• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

New map patch

Local time
12:38 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Denal

Putting this here so everyone can see it, but maybe it could also be added to the "Resources" page for BfVietnam.

Local time
6:38 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Hi Denal,

Did you test this when connecting to our (or other) servers that run these maps?

As good an effort as it is, I just tested it and it crashes my game when loading these maps (when loading in to our own server) that have been edited. Every other map runs fine. If I reverted my files, the maps load just fine.

Please double check this, as I do not want players to encounter issues when trying to join online servers. If it's just me well then it's my luck. ;) But if it is an error, then it must be fixed or clearly stated. Very few people go to trouble of backing up their game files when replacing them.

Regards,
Ice

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Denal
Hi Denal,

Did you test this when connecting to our (or other) servers that run these maps?

As good an effort as it is, I just tested it and it crashes my game when loading these maps (when loading in to our own server) that have been edited. Every other map runs fine. If I reverted my files, the maps load just fine.

Please double check this, as I do not want players to encounter issues when trying to join online servers. If it's just me well then it's my luck. ;) But if it is an error, then it must be fixed or clearly stated. Very few people go to trouble of backing up their game files when replacing them.

Regards,
Ice
That's very strange. I haven't been able to test any of the four maps on the HelloClan server because it's been sitting idle on Hastings with no one around to change it every time I worked on them, so I made an identical patch for Hastings just to test it and loaded into Hastings just fine. More than that, I've been able to play online with older versions of these same patches applied before.

Also, did it just crash your game or did it cause the "Data Differs from Server" error?

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
I had the same experience. At all 4 maps, it crashes as soon as the loading bar is about to hit 100%. At "Fall of Saigon" and "Cedar Falls" it shows a "corrupt data"-error (hopefully my translation is right) and at "Saigon"+"Defence of con thien" the game crashes. Only in multiplayer mode, in singleplayer everything works fine.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
That's very strange. I haven't been able to test any of the four maps on the HelloClan server because it's been sitting idle on Hastings with no one around to change it every time I worked on them, so I made an identical patch for Hastings just to test it and loaded into Hastings just fine. More than that, I've been able to play online with older versions of these same patches applied before.

Also, did it just crash your game or did it cause the "Data Differs from Server" error?

I had the same experience. At all 4 maps, it crashes as soon as the loading bar is about to hit 100%. At "Fall of Saigon" and "Cedar Falls" it shows a "corrupt data"-error (hopefully my translation is right) and at "Saigon"+"Defence of con thien" the game crashes. Only in multiplayer mode, in singleplayer everything works fine.

Same issue. I didn't get the corrupt data or data differs errors. Just crashed though.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Would it be possible to set the idle map to Con Thien just for tonight so I can do some more testing? If I can figure out a solution for one of them, it should work for all.
You're welcome to try it out on Mission Possible. It has been set.

Please understand that it may come down to what we discussed in the past, the server might need to have the same files in order for it to match. Even if the server isn't using these files, it will still do a type of "client" check and that seems to be the case right now.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Denal
Thank you. I hope it shows up for me. That's why I didn't check it on Mission Possible before. It wasn't on my list even after clicking "Refresh" and "Update". I thought maybe it was down for some reason.

As far as the "server vs. client" argument goes, I know exactly what's causing this, because there's only one thing it could be. The problem is that it SHOULDN'T be causing this. This is the modding equivalent to your car not starting because you put new tires on it. There's no reason for an issue, especially not when my tests with Hastings proved otherwise. I even did something in the test specifically intended to cause that error as a way of checking it, and it didn't. I think there's a way around it, but it'll take some work to figure out.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Denal
You're welcome to try it out on Mission Possible. It has been set.

Please understand that it may come down to what we discussed in the past, the server might need to have the same files in order for it to match. Even if the server isn't using these files, it will still do a type of "client" check and that seems to be the case right now.
So the end result of yesterday was that I tried a couple of things and ended up getting banned from the server for trying to join with mismatched files. I know that can be easily undone, but I think what's ultimately going to have to happen is that I'm going to have to run my tests at a time when someone is available to repeatedly unban me if needed. At the moment, I don't really have time for that. I made this patch in two days as a way to take a quick, low-commitment break from everything else I've got going on, but if it's going to take longer, it'll have to wait. I'd like to revisit this at a later date, maybe after the next version of Operation Remembrance is finished.

Back