• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

What's up men!

T

TonyB

I'm curious about how things are going for the game. Some dear BFV friends and I have discussed the game and it's direction.

How are you feeling about BFV? Do you still enjoy the game? When did you last play?

It is coming into summer where I live (Iowa - USA). If it is crummy weather and I am not going somewhere, I will play. Chances are that I will be out and about enjoying life.

Can we keep the game going? If you are reading this and you respond, I suspect you still enjoy the game. What keeps you from playing the game?

Do you look to see if players are on and you decide then whether to play?

Thanks.

pinky

TheNME

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
hiya pinky, yes I still enjoy playing BFV summer is almost here for me as well (CT-USA) i usually do check to see if anyone is on before i start but not make sure there is no one i don't like, cause I like everyone that is currently playing :) :) . i just use it to see if anyone is on so im not playing alone. the only thing that keeps me from playing is work(which seems to never end) and of course the bitchin from the kitchen :) otherwise I still play when i can

Capt. Canada

Normal Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score
Hi Pinky.

I'll contribute to your topic, but only on the condition that someone finds it at least somewhat amusing.

I think I last played in June of 2016. The game was always awesome, but being an admin adversely affected my appreciation for the activity. I found myself playing partly for pleasure but primarily placing the pursuit of probity as my priority. Hash's hacking hurt, and getting a good game was gifficult to gimpossible (couldn't work out the alliteration here). In the end, one doer's desire to disrupt exceeded my enthusiasm to enforce the edicts I imagined I was empowered to execute.

I have no idea what happened since June of last year, looks like low numbers. I still miss the games with some of the better players (too many to list, but they know who they are), but I have to say, I don't miss the whining and complaining one little bit.

T

TonyB

Capt. Canada said:
..........but I have to say, I don't miss the whining and complaining one little bit.

Well we miss you.

A few years ago, time fricking flies doesn't it, I left the game as well. Between the UPEO boys and other BS, I left. I ultimately decided to come back because I felt that what I decided brought me pleasure was more powerful than a few little twits. Why let the twits decide what I enjoy? What I get to do?

As I have said heretofore previously, (trying to use a big word), summer is coming to Iowa and I live to be out and about. If the weather is shitty, I'm sure you will see me here.

For whatever reason, the game is dwindling. We can argue the reasons why but it is seemingly on the highway, not road, to extinction. I was hoping with the removal of the password that players would come back. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that has taken place.

I often think about the countless hours I have played this game. Was it a waste of my time? Perhaps but it certainly brought pleasure, for the most part, to my life. I have gotten to know guys over the course of the game and am friends with many to this day that I met in this game. We are an odd-ball lot. I often think that if the guys who perhaps dislike me, maybe hate me, knew me, they would enjoy having a beer with me.

Hope you return to the game Can.

pink

rusty1

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
1:35 AM
Reaction score
pinky said:

Very much so I'm afraid. I still love playing the game and will probably join no matter who's playing but as soon as I think hacks are being used I leave the server. I'd never accuse anybody because I have no proof but I do know when things aren't right and when that's the case it's best if I just depart and come back later. It happens too often.

hard_rice

Normal Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
2:35 AM
Reaction score
Yea of late there seems a steeper trend in not finding a quality game. The password is a huge factor. I just recently found out from Grizzly that typing the word password at the end of the url.

bfv/password

And just like early morning sunshine, viola right to the proper link. No searching or bookmarks. :evil:

kickapoo

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
I haven't played since August of '16, I think largely because of Hash's disruption. Using Win 7, I haven't been savvy enough to make the update procedure work for me and can't really afford a new video card. In short I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

If anyone can recommend an awesome used laptop (Win 10) for under $100 that I can use solely for the game, please do. I really miss playing.

kickapoo

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
I've tried that, with both 1.2 and 1.21. The game just won't play for me anymore. Sucks!

Today I sold a keyboard and am looking at a used laptop something more like $250. Would you recommend Win 8 or 10, for ease of game install? Really, I just wanna fly the Migs again!

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan

El Alamein

Forum Rookie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Hey there pinky,

Do not despair, my friend! I still love BFV and I have lost no interest in one of my favorite games. I last played today, as a matter of fact, earlier this afternoon.

I do believe we can keep the game going. I think that's exactly what we're doing right now. It's a struggle, and of course, as with any game, BFV will eventually fade away. But as long as we want to keep logging on to have fun, it will carry on as always. Of course I look at the server stats before logging on to see if anyone else is on, because I don't want to be flying a Huey around Hastings on an empty server. But I also know certain times are typically busy (such as Saturday and Sunday mornings for me on the US west coast time zones) so I tend to log on when other people are on too.

I hope this has addressed some of your questions!

See you in the game, mate.

~The Deadliest Warrior

LTShaun

Regular Poster
HELLOCLAN LEADERSHIP
-[HELLO]-BFV
-[HELLO]-BF1942
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
I played for a few hours on Sunday night and the server was nicely populated. I miss when this game was booming. I still try to play as often as I can, but most of the time if I don't see anyone in the server I won't bother. Work also gets in the way. This is still my favorite and the only game I play. Once in a while I'll play BF1942, surprisingly it has more active servers than BFV! Going forward, I am going to make a solid effort to join the HELLO server and play even if no one else is playing. Maybe this will attract more people with the same mindset.

Dogfighter

Master Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Tim
pinky said:
I'm curious about how things are going for the game. Some dear BFV friends and I have discussed the game and it's direction.

How are you feeling about BFV? Do you still enjoy the game? When did you last play?
I feel like its a good game, with a good community, but gamespy shutdown butchered it, and the hacking attacks are digging its grave. I still enjoy the game, I just wish there were more people playing, which would probably convince others to play. About 2 months ago

Yes, that's the deciding factor for me

Sidenote: What happened to pinkysfanclub? Is it gone?

T

TonyB

Dogfighter said:
Sidenote: What happened to pinkysfanclub? Is it gone?

Yeah, I let the domain expire. It was like $12 a year to keep it and I ran out of players who would provide information. Not to mention, keeping it up-to-date, not to mention, the game players dwindling.

Of the many thousands who played the game we are lucky to have 30 on at one time now. Hard to imagine.

RoBoDuCk

Forum Rookie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
I enjoy the game. However much of the fun is gone, due to career trolls. I like playing a round with no distractions. Yet you get individuals who stack teams purposefully, and proceed to 2 v 4, mainrape (legal but unethical while unbalanced) then spend the rest of the round using foul language and homophobic slurs. And if we admins lose our cool for even 1/2 a second and return distasteful words, these vile creatures are the FIRST to complain how they are being abused. I think we've lost our humanity and our common sense. Hypocrisy has taken over, fully.

All in all, a lousy return to BFV after a long absence. Makes me want to remain gone when greeted by this toxic atmosphere. Id like to return to a day when uneven teams yield players willing to proceed with honor AKA unstacking, and weapon choices are not an excuse for calling others homosexuals.

I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble as I myself returned some heated words in the fog of war, nor will I name the dishonorable player here as shaming is not my goal. But as an answer to your topic, Pinky, THIS is why things are sliding downhill. Hash may be using a metaphorical bazooka on our server numbers, but there are many others using a metaphorical BB gun and "plinking" away at our playerbase 1 by 1. With their negativity, teamswitching, trolling, admin baiting, disruptive gameplay, threats, slurs, cheating, tube-bashing, rage-quitting..... Id like to ask, can we return to civil gameplay or are we lost forever?

Capt. Canada

Normal Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Robo.

I can only say that it looks as if you guys are sort of in a tough spot. With lower player numbers, you hate to deny the server a minimum number of players by kicking them, and their infantile pettiness both in gameplay and language do not warrant banning them. Their aggregate misbehaviours deserve punishment, but I cannot imagine it's going to happen. You cannot mandate or legislate normal conduct, adult behaviours, or reasonable levels of sportsmanship. So, you end up with some players who come to the server just to troll each other and any other players who dare to respond to their sophomoric insults.

What they don't understand, and probably never will, is that the greatest enjoyment of the game comes from actually playing the game. Taking a main or stealing air with only four players, while not against the rules, does not make the game better. Probably the most fun I've had playing was a 1-vs-1 contest with Hellsfury in the tunnels of Saigon, just him and his M-16 against me and an AK-47. Yeah, the 97 deaths put a bit of a damper on the round, but at least I got him a few times. The point is, the competition is what was fun. Looking back, the fights against the more skilled players (Osama, Orange, Toxic, Falcon, V, etc.) and some of the players who were clever players (pinky, Toye, and a few others) made the game great. Do these guys still play?

If you look back at the chat logs of a few players' last few games, I bet you see a pattern of insults and antagonism that erode game quality.

Darn shame.

Good luck guys.

peteware

Forum Rookie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Capt. Canada said:
Hi Robo.

I can only say that it looks as if you guys are sort of in a tough spot. With lower player numbers, you hate to deny the server a minimum number of players by kicking them, and their infantile pettiness both in gameplay and language do not warrant banning them. Their aggregate misbehaviours deserve punishment, but I cannot imagine it's going to happen. You cannot mandate or legislate normal conduct, adult behaviours, or reasonable levels of sportsmanship. So, you end up with some players who come to the server just to troll each other and any other players who dare to respond to their sophomoric insults.

What they don't understand, and probably never will, is that the greatest enjoyment of the game comes from actually playing the game. Taking a main or stealing air with only four players, while not against the rules, does not make the game better. Probably the most fun I've had playing was a 1-vs-1 contest with Hellsfury in the tunnels of Saigon, just him and his M-16 against me and an AK-47. Yeah, the 97 deaths put a bit of a damper on the round, but at least I got him a few times. The point is, the competition is what was fun. Looking back, the fights against the more skilled players (Osama, Orange, Toxic, Falcon, V, etc.) and some of the players who were clever players (pinky, Toye, and a few others) made the game great. Do these guys still play?

If you look back at the chat logs of a few players' last few games, I bet you see a pattern of insults and antagonism that erode game quality.

Darn shame.

Good luck guys.
Hi Capt Canada
Yes some of us still PLAY or try to
But for my two penneth worth I must admit to insulting a few players now and again
But you have to see it from the player’s point of view sometimes
Like the other day when a player was on spec shouting out where I was hiding
Wow that was a fun game
But when reported fuc all got done
And yes I know we are told like little children to record
But were here even in our small numbers trying to keep the game going
The problem is there seems to be millions of admins but like buses they all come at once
And not when you’re waiting/wanting one
So it can get a bit frustrating at times then you have 2 choices insult or leave the game
Had a funny one last night a player who shall not be named but I must say from the first day this game came out till now. This players got shit running, he announced that another player had hacks on that one was funny as fuc to me, talk about the kettle calling the pot black,

T

TonyB

Thank you all for your interesting and enlightening comments.

I have buddies from the game who have left and not returned. You know them but I won't name them. One had his struggles with the M79 and XM. He could no longer deal with it so he quit. The other I think has simply moved on to other games but he had a tumultuous career at HELLO BFV. Insults, hacking.

So what do we do? Over the years, I'm sure that SK, and now Shaun, have tried every fix to keep the game going and I am sure that has been work.

My observations.

1. If we turn on splash, there will be non-stop TKing and will we lose players (are there any to lose) over it? I won't be using betties or time bombs. You can't throw nades or lay mines. You can't just be firing the MI8 or Gunship at random.

2. It is impossible to police the trolling and bullshit. I'm with Robo and was playing during the round wherein we were being raped with but a few players. What I don't get is why would you do this? The game is dwindling and you resort to that shit? If you are bored, go kick the dog.

3. Map voting has simmered down. I've noticed that seldom do the maps get voted to change. Frankly, I continue to harp that the map list needs to be trimmed. Guys leave when certain maps come up because we now know that you cannot get a map changed by the vote process. So they leave and there are then 3 guys playing La Drang.

4. Player Vote Kick - I am again asserting that this should be enabled. At least for testing purposes. Robo, perhaps we could have gotten the asswipe kicked that was ruining the game the other evening.

These are some of my observations. Now off to the gym for my daily exercise routine. Treadmill for two miles while I look at smoking hot babes in those tight stretchy pants.

pinky

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
I'd like to respond to a few things...

The password stuff...we're working on. No-one wants it, but right now we need it. We have other potential solutions in the works but until then we are making the best of a bad situation, and personally I'd say we're doing well.

Hacking...You've got to help with that. The reason evidence is asked for is because It's not fair on the admins to ask them to do all the work when all you have are suspicions. Their game time is interrupted enough, without looking into every player's suspicions of another. I know I spent multiple rounds spectating people, recording people, not being able to play. We have a report a hacker forum, that has had 3 posts in it.

When we have real suspicions though, ones we are confident in, we do everything we can to deal with it. Sniper1234, drewboogy, Cristian Abel. All banned for hacking. Heck, would any of you have accused Abel of hacking? He's the last person I expected...

The game not being easy to run...Well, personally I just think you need to try a little harder. :p Don't take it the wrong way, it's not as simple as install and play, but we have guides, emails, PM's. I get PM's or emails on a near daily basis asking for keys, I get messages asking me for help, and I try my best to respond as soon as I can, and almost always within 24 hours...so if you're in that boat, just ask for help...we're more than willing to.

For player counts, just drop in for a little while. If everyone waits for people to be there it will be forever empty. Drop in, do something nearby while you wait so you can keep an eye on it, then when people inevitably join, have some fun. I'm doing what I can, cd-keys, game downloads, EA is still looking into what they can do.

Players breaking rules...well, we have a system for that. If an admin doesn't catch them, report it. We don't need any evidence for most, although it's preferred. But if you can't get any, just post a report and we can do the hard work. Maybe sometimes we can't prove it and they get away with it that time, but things catch up. Take Lesuk, he was reported repeatedly and his ban got longer and longer, I'm not even sure he's been back, I've not seen him on and the reports have stopped. So, if someone breaks the rules, let us know...that's all we ask.

In my opinion, friendly fire will be a disaster. It prohibits so many legitimate ways of playing to do what? Stop the occasional M79? I get why it frustrates people, but it wont solve it. You'll both die, they'll respawn, come back and do the same. Or, they'll hit you with the M79 and not the ground, that way they don't get any damage, unless we turn that FF on too, in which case every bullet has to be watched as well as they will kill teammates. That then includes SA-7 and other heat-seeking rockets that don't care if you are friend or foe.

Rule breaking can be reported, that's easy. Selfish gameplay though, that can't. People need to realise that we're what's left of this game and we should do everything we can to make the atmosphere fun for everyone. Even on last flag I'd refrain from raping because there's no fun to it. It's like shooting fish in a barrel, where's the challenge? The enjoyment? Clearly some people like it but I wont understand that...

For map voting, I'm of the opinion that if people are not voting to change, they want to play that map, and everyone should respect that. Like I said before, we're what's left, and we should respect people's decisions. Ho chi lasts all of what? 5-10 minutes? Same with Cambodian. Grit your teeth and bear it, let everyone have the fun you do on other maps. Honestly, those jungle maps were my favourite. Sniping, hiding in the bush, sneaking into the temple...it's enjoyable.

Player vote kick is a double edged sword. On the one hand, sure, it means you guys can remove trouble makers, on the other it has the potential to force people out because they get kicked when they broke no rules, people just don't like how they play. We're not really in a position where we can be that picky about our players...what we should do is talk to them, explain why we think it's wrong, and hope they come around.

Back