• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Guys, I don't want to dwell on this but...

T

TonyB

La Drang and Saigon are killing off players. Some of the jungle maps are as well. I know. I know - it's "all maps" but let's consider our numbers and these times. Change the name to "most maps" if you have to. A couple of jungle maps. A couple of city maps. It's time to get rid of La Drang and Saigon. If we have 30 guys playing, and that would be a nice change, perhaps "all maps" ... but we don't.

We must change with the times, otherwise...

T

TonyB

Good example. Robo and Ice were playing - we had a good 20 guys playing Flaming Dart. As soon as that map ended we went to Ho Chi trail. Dropped to maybe 4 players total. Guys leave.

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
10:24 AM
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
Hey,

So the main problem seems to be the larger maps...

Ho Chi Minh Trail, Cambodian Incursion and Fall of Saigon have had their bleed rates increased slightly more, if this doesn't help I'll reduce tickets slightly.

La Drang has also had its' bleed rate increased a little.

I will have to see how Irving and Khe Sahn go, but they tend to have better battles on them.

The other maps seem fine, and never seem to last for an excessive period of time so I'll leave them be for now.

Edit: I made a couple more edits to Cambodian and Ho chi as bleed rates currently didn't take effect until a team only had 1 flag, so this might improve the situation...

Vmax

Regular Poster
-[HELLO]-BFV
-[HELLO]-BF1942
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
7:24 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
RatFink
Hi guys

I play when the server numbers are low and people are only staying for the flying maps and we end up with only 1 or 2 left trying to play. I know this is Allmaps but its bad when we have to wait for a good flying map to get a game.

Regards
Rob

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
Depending on how many players are on, we could allow admins to change the map if a majority agree and the player count is below a value we set, although it would have to be a hard limit. Not really an option I'd prefer though...

Would changing the map order up a bit work better?

At least until we get some new players to help pad it out a bit.

T

TonyB

SK, I would like to see your admins decide if maps should change. They can ask the guys. The problem is, and we all know this, when we go from flying maps to jungle, players drop like flies. And they don't come back until hours later sometimes, if at all that day.

I don't want to see all flying maps either. I love the city maps. But one jungle map is plenty and I appreciate the bleed rates. Guys still will leave and not play.

I can see one or two guys wanting to play the jungle maps so the admin doesn't change. Again, by the time the air maps end, guys leave. They won't wait for a vote nor is it possible for an admin to be on all the time.

Thanks for anything you can do.

pinky

RoBoDuCk

Forum Rookie
REGISTERED
Local time
4:24 AM
Reaction score
I think those bleed rates are helping already SK! Good call on that.

I would be for admin map change, if it was done carefully with maybe some rules to guide.

Back when I was just starting to play this game. I once told FLOWERPOWER that hastings was my favorite map. A bunch of others chimed in and said "yeah ours too!" I don't know if he was following the admin rules or not, but he changed the map to hastings and we all had a whale of a time. One of my fondest memories with him was swooping around in the slick. All of that to say.... that upsetting the order of things is not going to be looked at badly by the community. Me thinking "wow the admins on here are chill" made me want to stick around.

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
pinky said:
SK, I would like to see your admins decide if maps should change. They can ask the guys. The problem is, and we all know this, when we go from flying maps to jungle, players drop like flies. And they don't come back until hours later sometimes, if at all that day.

RoBoDuCk said:
would be for admin map change, if it was done carefully with maybe some rules to guide.

If we did decide to let admins choose maps, it would be very strict and only apply in exceptional circumstances, like if we had less than 5 players online, so for now I'd prefer to give it a miss. When one of the jungle maps was missing from the rotation we had a player come here and ask where it was. I've also seen players ask if maps like 'Fall of Saigon' are in our rotation, so some people do like them.

I don't think we can assume everyone leaves on those maps just because of the maps though. I'm sure some do, but I bet that's the case with most maps; we all have those maps we prefer/dislike.

pinky said:
I don't want to see all flying maps either. I love the city maps. But one jungle map is plenty and I appreciate the bleed rates. Guys still will leave and not play.

The biggest issue I think we have right now is that no-one knows. I've not told anyone about the minor edits on the server, and I expect less than 50% of our server population regularly checks the forum. Later on I will modify the server announcements to reflect this and perhaps some more players will give it a shot as I've seen the map last no more than 20 minutes, which is shorter than a lot of others.

Starting from the beginning of the maplist, there are 7 maps between the 2 jungle maps, 3 between the 2 Quang tri's and 11 between the hue's; it's not like they get played in quick succession. I'm up for moving all the maps round every now and again if that's what we want though.

I really don't want to remove any maps, because it's not what we're about. We provide a near-original experience with all the maps in rotation and have done for years; giving everyone a taste of Battlefield Vietnam just like it was when it got released.

If all the ground players left on air maps, like some air players leave on ground maps, none of us would have fun as we'd be missing a crucial aspect of the game...I think this is something players need to understand.

T

TonyB

SucceededKiller said:
If we did decide to let admins choose maps, it would be very strict and only apply in exceptional circumstances, like if we had less than 5 players online, so for now I'd prefer to give it a miss. When one of the jungle maps was missing from the rotation we had a player come here and ask where it was. I've also seen players ask if maps like 'Fall of Saigon' are in our rotation, so some people do like them.

With so few coming to the forums to discuss this, we have no idea how many. I love Saigon.... but not with 10 players. It's too big. Agree the bleed rate is good.

SucceededKiller said:
I really don't want to remove any maps, because it's not what we're about. We provide a near-original experience with all the maps in rotation and have done for years; giving everyone a taste of Battlefield Vietnam just like it was when it got released.

I understand SK but times have changed a great deal. We all remember the early days (years) of the game. I loved the game with 40 players and over 100 servers. Now we have such limited participation. La Drang is dead. It is deader than dead. Saigon isn't much better.

SucceededKiller said:
If all the ground players left on air maps, like some air players leave on ground maps, none of us would have fun as we'd be missing a crucial aspect of the game...I think this is something players need to understand.

The point you miss SK is that ground players can play all maps. Take HellsFury. He's a ground guy. 100%. Even on Flaming Dart he has to get to the mainland to fight. By boat, swim or air until there is a flag. He can play every single map. I would like to know what he thinks of the maps. Since he is a ground only player, no matter what map he plays, there are limited ground players.

Guys who like air 24/7 leave or go AFK for ground only maps. Ground players play the game regardless of what map is up. I am one of those. I dread the jungle maps because the numbers dwindle (not to mention we end up with guys quitting over XM toe shooting).

I think as the player numbers have dwindled, perhaps consider the future of the game by trimming the maps that are least popular. Whack them is my vote.

Vmax

Regular Poster
-[HELLO]-BFV
-[HELLO]-BF1942
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
7:24 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
RatFink
How about enabling map vote with 6 players or less? I dont even know if thats possible but would help when the numbers are low.

Rob

T

TonyB

Good example. I was just playing Game Warden. We had a good 20 guys playing, if not more. My game crashed so I went to work making my HellsFurryChili. When I came back to the computer, the map had gone to Albany. There were 9 players playing. One had 0 score so figure AFK.

I like Albany. It is the first map I ever played. But, we lose players and it sucks. The game is fun when there are 20 plus players on. When we go to but a few it is so boring that even I leave.

Thanks for anything you guys can do to abate this issue.

Mav3ricK

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
I agree with IceSkater

Admins could simply run next when a certain amount of players request to do so. Maybe a new map order would help, like alternating a popular map with a not so popular one (Hastings, Fall of Saigon, Flaming, etc)

But under ANY circumstances remove one single map from the list.

Hugo Decuco

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
I CAN GET U MORE PLAYERS. SK. ILL SEE WHAT I CAN DO. sorry capitals. The only problem they all speak spanish and may have pirate version of the bfv. So theres a problem there. I mean about cd keys.

Abel

Forum Rookie
REGISTERED
Local time
9:24 AM
Reaction score
Real Name
CA
IVE ALREADY DONE IT. PLAYERS POPULATION IS DECREASING. NOT ONLY BECAUSE SOME MAPS ARE BORRING BUT ALSO BECAUSE I DETECTED LOT OF CHEATERS. I VOTE FOR THE "HAMBURGER HILL MAP" TO BE INCLUDED. NEW MAPS R BETTER. IM A LOSER TO BOOT. XD party01

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
pinky said:
The point you miss SK is that ground players can play all maps. Take HellsFury. He's a ground guy. 100%. Even on Flaming Dart he has to get to the mainland to fight. By boat, swim or air until there is a flag. He can play every single map. I would like to know what he thinks of the maps. Since he is a ground only player, no matter what map he plays, there are limited ground players.Guys who like air 24/7 leave or go AFK for ground only maps. Ground players play the game regardless of what map is up. I am one of those. I dread the jungle maps because the numbers dwindle

But how many ground players enjoy being the easy kills for helicopters and planes? Sure, we can play all the maps, but it doesn't mean they're all enjoyable just like ground only maps. If it's an air map anyone on the ground is at a distinct disadvantage, so I don't believe it's the same as a map with none of them.

Vmax said:
How about enabling map vote with 6 players or less? I dont even know if thats possible but would help when the numbers are low.

Rob

Unfortunately it can't be automated, although that would have helped. If we allowed map changing, it would have to be done by admins in accordance with some guidelines we set up.

pinky said:
Good example. I was just playing Game Warden. We had a good 20 guys playing, if not more. My game crashed so I went to work making my HellsFurryChili. When I came back to the computer, the map had gone to Albany. There were 9 players playing. One had 0 score so figure AFK.

I like Albany. It is the first map I ever played. But, we lose players and it sucks. The game is fun when there are 20 plus players on. When we go to but a few it is so boring that even I leave.

Thanks for anything you guys can do to abate this issue.

There's a lot more that goes into play though. Time of day, location of players, personal lives etc. I played Khe Sahn for the most part with 6 people, but that doesn't mean it's disliked. The bleed rates and ticket changes have made a huge difference to the maps they are on. I've added announcements to let people know and we'll see how this goes for now as, like all changes, it'll take some time to settle in.

Mav3ricK said:
Maybe a new map order would help, like alternating a popular map with a not so popular one (Hastings, Fall of Saigon, Flaming, etc)

The map order is somewhat like this already, is it not? Maybe it messes up at the end where we go La drang, Fall of Saigon, Khe Sahn as they are all wide open maps. If you guys want to suggest new orders we can take a look, the maps and current order are as follows:

Code:
 operation_hastings  
 hue  
 operation_flaming_dart  
 ho_chi_minh_trail  
 operation_cedar_falls  
 quang_tri_alt  
 operation_game_warden  
 landing_zone_albany  
 operation_irving  
 quang_tri  
 lang_vei  
 ho_chi_minh_trail_alt  
 defense_of_con_thien  
 hue_alt  
 ia_drang  
 fall_of_saigon  
 khe_sahn  
 saigon68

Hugo Decuco said:
I CAN GET U MORE PLAYERS. SK. ILL SEE WHAT I CAN DO. sorry capitals. The only problem they all speak spanish and may have pirate version of the bfv. So theres a problem there. I mean about cd keys.

Do you play the game? :D Under what name? :p

The language they speak doesn't matter, we have Spanish speaking players anyway. If you need a hand with anything just let me know.

Cristian Abel said:
IVE ALREADY DONE IT. PLAYERS POPULATION IS DECREASING. NOT ONLY BECAUSE SOME MAPS ARE BORRING BUT ALSO BECAUSE I DETECTED LOT OF CHEATERS. I VOTE FOR THE "HAMBURGER HILL MAP" TO BE INCLUDED. NEW MAPS R BETTER. IM A LOSER TO BOOT. XD party01

Size 200?! Did you make your font big enough? xD

If you find cheaters then you should record evidence and report them here

Maps like Hamburger hill require everyone to download them, and that would drop player numbers even more.

Hugo Decuco

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Hugo Decuco wrote:

Do you play the game? :D Under what name? :p

To be honist. I played it twice. "player"

Back