• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Event Idea 20th July 2013

=UPEO=Bojangles

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
11:45 AM
Reaction score
Here's a little seed of an idea for the next, or a future, event.

There was a player on the server today called "Pvt Ryan" and it led me to this suggestion for a "Saving Private Ryan" themed event.

Variation 1

At the start of the map, we designate either one player on one team only, or one player on both teams as "Private Ryan". His spawn position is right up in the sky, and he has to open his parachute. His enemy has to spot him, track him and capture him (not kill him and "Pvt Ryan" is only allowed to fight with knife, also making him identifiable). When the enemy captures him (he must surrender when they get close or fire a warning shot to wound him with pistol), they have to take him back to a hut in their main and he has to stay there, imprisoned. His team have to break him out, and once they enter, he can start using firearms. They must then get back to their own base, and enemy are then allowed to kill "Pvt Ryan".

From the start, if enemy doesn't capture him and allies reach him first, they have to take him back to their base and put him in a hut (let's say he is in hospital :D )

Winner is the one whose "Pvt Ryan" is killed the fewest times, or who managed to keep their enemy "Pvt Ryan" captured (Admin must have view on this)

One immediate problem with this is that it might get boring for whoever is playing "Pvt Ryan" if he is just sitting in a hut with no action.

Variation 2

"Pvt Ryan" is allowed to use firearms from the start, but having him use a knife makes him easier for enemy to spot. Rather than taking him back to the hut, the enemy just have to assassinate him. The loser is the one whose "Pvt Ryan" has been killed the most times.

La Drang might be a good map to try this on, with US not allowed aircraft. Each side is given a jeep to race to the landing site.

Very happy if someone can contribute to improve?

CommandoBeta

Grand Master
REGISTERED
Local time
1:45 PM
Reaction score
Sounds like a nice idea, although it might be hard to implement.

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
12:45 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
I like the idea, but I'm not sure how well just holding a knife will make him distinguishable. If both teams get into a firefight, you are unlikely to check what weapon the person is holding if you even see it at all. :p I think we would need a better way of distinguishing them...but I'm not sure what.

CommandoBeta

Grand Master
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Sounds like the awesome V.I.P event we did sometime back.

There's 2 teams. One of the teams has a 'V.I.P', a person that that team has to defend. The other team has to kill the V.I.P. This works very well in Saigon. As soon as the VIP is dead, the other team gets a VIP that they then have to defend. I remember an awesome battle in the tunnels for that one room in which the VIP was hiding .. good times :)

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
I think the VIP idea would work better, as you'd have more control over the VIP than hoping they stay put. Also, you can hide and use guerilla tactics without worrying about either the prisoner escaping, or a blue arrow letting the other team know exactly where you are hiding. They also wont get as bored. :D However I suggest 1 team having a VIP at a time as this prevent both teams holding up and no-one attacking each other. :p

Personally, I'd suggest Quang tri-1968. It has good close and long range, as well as lots of places to hold up if needed.

CommandoBeta

Grand Master
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, Quang Tri sounds good - Hastings is not a good map for this, for instance. Also, I already ment only 1 VIP per team :). I just suggested Saigon because that's what we used to do it in, and it worked really well.

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
Alrighty, so we'll give this a go on saturday. The map already has pretty much everything it could need for this event, although perhaps swap the tanks out for jeeps? As I think using the tanks will end up a little unfair especially if the other team ends up holed up in a building...

CommandoBeta

Grand Master
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
If we're going for the V.I.P idea, I think we need some maps without armor (people can't use it if it's not there). I can't come on Xfire right now so I'll ask it here, could you SSM the armor out of some map then, [tag]SucceededKiller?[/tag]

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
I've set quang tri up, swapping tanks for UAZ's and Mutt's. Do you also want BTR's and the..M113(?) gone? I didn't think they would be as much of an issue. It doesn't take much work though, so if we decide on another map I can probably get it done in ~10 minutes. I tested the jeeps out and it is a lot of fun driving round a tight city map with jeeps. :D Could be a good idea for some form of "cops and robbers" style event in the future.

SucceededKiller

Elite Poster
SITE ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Ryan
Round up! :D

Alright, so...we didn't quite get enough people to do it as planned however, we did still keep the VIP idea, as well as a lot of others.

http://www.twitch.tv/succeededkiller/b/433356389

At the start you see our makeshift VIP event. The driver was our designated VIP and the plan was to kill the using only machine guns and the mounted MG. It was a lot of fun, and sometimes we did not even have to shoot them. :D

At 16:00 we move onto pirates. The objective? To board the enemy boat and kill its captain using only a knife. The knife hits did not seem to always register, and you'll see how much I die, but it was still enjoyable.

At 32:00 the jeep racing started. Both with, and without, turbo. You can guess how the turbo ended with some people. xD

At 58:00 we move onto an all vs 1 knife fight with the person who kills the 1, becoming our next target.

Later in the video it starts to become just us doing random stuff like placing booby traps on a mortar, blowing it up, and then letting it roll away to freedom. xD

http://www.twitch.tv/succeededkiller/b/433394398

At the start of this one we are doing a sniper war.

At 12:00 it becomes a knife fight again, but this one went a lot better, at least for me. :D And this carries on to the end of the video. :)

Regards,
SucceededKiller.

Back