• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Operation Flaming Dart

CommandoBeta

Grand Master
REGISTERED
Local time
4:17 PM
Reaction score
First of all, I know there's already been 2 topics about this problem, but we have reached no solution. To be honest, I don't understand why we haven't fixed this yet.

This map is extremely unbalanced. The main tactical goal of this map is to take out the enemy towers, and the NVA have way more firepower for that. They have 2 bombers and 2 fighters that are effective against towers, while the US has only one bomber, which is slower than the NVA bombers, and has less bombs. The USA do have F4 phantoms which can be used against towers, but nearly no one even knows this. The F4 phantoms are already busy securing their own islands airspace, and have no time for taking out towers. The lay-out of the map makes it even more unfair, because while the US already have a disadvantage because their verhicles are worse (people generally agree that a Mig is way better than an F4 Phantom), but they also have to attack, and take the mainland where the NVA has tanks, AA, and air superiority. The NVA air verhicles don't have to defend their mainland, the mainland is already well defended by armor, ZSU's, and infantry. The few SVA soldiers that manage to reach the mainland, stand no chance.

Usually, the first tower goes down about 2 minutes into the game, and after 5-8 minutes all towers are down. By this time, the US has had time to maybe secure one flag, usually the beach or Dong Hoi Island. What follows is a huge rapefest, which results in the NVA having a K/D of 4 and the SVA a K/D of 0.25. Sometimes if the USA are 'lucky', they have both Dong Hoi and the Beach Front, 2 flags that have at least some shelter ( as opposed to the ruins, which have no cover at all). Because they have 2 flags the US sometimes win, but winning or losing is not the issue here. The problem is that being raped is not fun, and this map results in rape 90% of the time. What usually happends, is that the US have no flags, no towers, and have to sit out the remaining 20 minutes waiting for the Tango to respawn, spawning on the Tango, and being killed instantly. Mr Bojangles filmed it today, this is the video. In the rare cases that the USA manage to take out NVA's towers, its the NVA that gets raped hard. In a map like this, having air verhicles is essential.

The solution for this is simple, we've done it before. When towers respawn, neither one of the teams gets total air superiority, and because of this the air verhicles focus on each rather than on the infantry of the enemy team. When the towers respawned, people didn't complain about this map anymore. I'm not even saying that the towers should respawn instantly though, we can keep the tactical advantage of taking out a tower by giving the respawn a 2 minute delay. This preserves the unique nature of this map while making it less of a rape-fest.

I asked people in the server today what they think about this, and many people agreed that this map needs respawning towers. The people who agree with this are:

• <<ßoß>>MorsDuud
  • <<ßoß>>Weber
  • <<ßoß>>Canada
  • -[HELLO]-D0dley
  • sms.titanic
  • =UPEO=Mr Bojangles
  • -[HELLO]-Rock
  • ~SiR~ Deltoya

And that's just the people that were in the server that round.

Even if people don't agree with this, there might be other solutions for this, like more US air verhicles (perhaps an extra Corsair and Phantom?) The thing is, we have to try and solve this. Even if something doesn't work, it's easy to turn it back to the way things were. An argument that people use is that modding makes the server unstable. However, if it's doen right, modding doesn't affect the servers stability.

My proposition is that we try one of these fixes and simply see what happends. I don't think it could change the map for the worse, so it's always worth a try.

ArcticWinter

Regular Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
4:17 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Andre
I stopped playing this map months ago.

It's the same, over and over, towers down within 10 minutes and US is being raped. You can't argue that it's unfair for NVA in maps like Ia Drang Valley, USA sure does have air superiority, but it never ends up in rape on the same scale as in Flamming Dart, same with Irving, it's never the same outcome.

Please do something about this.

Back