• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Realization of Server Lag

GunRunner

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
10:41 AM
Reaction score
Okay, with the created topic, let me explain what I realized:

I was playing on the oddly modded Hasting AllMaps server. I was in the USA Gun-Ship as a co-pilot for CommandoBeta; and there was almost no lag on the server what-so-ever.

I went AFK because my dog required my attention, so I attended to her throwing-up outside of my house.

When I returned to playing as a co-pilot for Beta, I noticed a huge amount of lag on my side. I was also informed that RONGZHENGZHENG was playing on the map.

Once CommandoBeta and I destroyed RONG's MI-8 (he basically had a rage quit), my lag went away. That is, I could completely notice a difference in my game play against other helicopter pilots and other ground troops once RONG logged off.

RONG has an average ping on the AllMaps server of 310ms.

I now know that RONG's high-server ping (or others) will affect players differently: From my recent experience, I realized RONG's ping on the AllMaps server will created degradation issues towards my ability to be a competent co-pilot. I've also have been told that when he or other high-ping players are on the server, they feel like the are playing in "jello."

I highly suspect that other players with a high-ping have created issues with me being a capable co-pilot. And for that, I do apologize that my ping was not what it should have been.

CommandoBeta

Grand Master
REGISTERED
Local time
7:41 PM
Reaction score
I guess this is why some servers kick people with high ping.
And:
GunRunner said:
I went AFK because my dog required my attention, so I attended to her throwing-up outside of my house.

How could you D: That dog looks so funy : D

Travco

Forum Rookie
REGISTERED
Local time
12:41 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Travis Palmer
GunRunner said:
I now know that RONG's high-server ping (or others) will affect players differently: From my recent experience, I realized RONG's ping on the AllMaps server will created degradation issues towards my ability to be a competent co-pilot. I've also have been told that when he or other high-ping players are on the server, they feel like the are playing in "jello."

I highly suspect that other players with a high-ping have created issues with me being a capable co-pilot. And for that, I do apologize that my ping was not what it should have been.

Don't worry. Although a high ping does seem to "lag up" other peoples games, its actually an illusion.
Note, the following is just an assumption feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
(I've tinkered with alot of server softwares and port,firewall,routing,redirection, and processing settings. So i have a general understanding)
--Explanation for people with "laggy" internet
The server processes ingame commands, and positions of players -as is- and does all the calculations in cycles, thus if your internet fails to insert your commands and changed position to the server before the next cycle is processed your command isn't processed and the outcome isn't sent to all the other players in the server. Because your computer cannot send a updated position/commands until it gets a response from the server you can move freely. But when the server does give you a response your client will appear to "backtrack" as all the positions of the other players update to their actual positions. Because the client will predict to some degree the positions of the vehicles and players. So if you have a laggy internet, thus explaining your "backtracking"
--Explanation for other players with "laggy" internet making you appear to lag.
As for this issue of other players having slow/limited bandwidth internet. The other player's internet having high latency misses a computation cycle of the server, and thus has abit of a "skip" between their position 2 cycles ago, and right now. So if you were focusing on the movements of RONG's helicopter relative to yours, and he skips. It will seem as if your lagging, when in actuality the rest of the world was moving smoothly. So next time this happens, focus on the location of another player.
--Exception for "dual-sided lag"
If both you and the person that your paying attention to (or trying to kill) have laggy or intermittent internet. Your internet might be missing cycles at the same time, and at different times than the other player. Thus, if you have a decent internet that has "blips" or periods of higher latency (very common) then the other player might skip multiple cycles (say as much as 100).. and then suddenly after that skip your internet misses a few cycles it would seem that the other person is lagging you far more than you would normally. Because their skipping, and the rest of the world move smooth, and then you skip and the entire world locks up.

GunRunner

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the reply to my issue Travco.

I'm guessing that the "odd lag," or my drops in frame-rate, that RONG created on my side would be reason #2 that you provided.

Although, what I still find abnormal is that it's most noticeable when I'm the co-pilot in a helicopter. I don't get an overt drop in frame-rate when I'm running around on the ground.

It's also kind of hard for me to pick a different target when Beta is hunting down RONG and trying to kill him D:

Travco

Forum Rookie
REGISTERED
Local time
12:41 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Travis Palmer
GunRunner said:
Although, what I still find abnormal is that it's most noticeable when I'm the co-pilot in a helicopter. I don't get an overt drop in frame-rate when I'm running around on the ground.

It's also kind of hard for me to pick a different target when Beta is hunting down RONG and trying to kill him D:

Thats probably because your getting all of your positions from beta's contributions to the server cycle. If he has bad internet you would get a pretty jerky ride on your client :lol:

GunRunner

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Travco said:
Thats probably because your getting all of your positions from beta's contributions to the server cycle. If he has bad internet you would get a pretty jerky ride on your client

BINGO!

That's it, thank you man! This explains a lot!

CommandoBeta

Grand Master
REGISTERED
Local time
7:41 PM
Reaction score
GunRunner said:
Travco said:
Thats probably because your getting all of your positions from beta's contributions to the server cycle. If he has bad internet you would get a pretty jerky ride on your client

BINGO!

That's it, thank you man! This explains a lot!

How dare you - my internet is the best in the world : D

Back