• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Hardest weapons to get kills with - BFV

TKO_Flight447

Forum Newbie
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
5:26 AM
Reaction score
Hi,

I was thinking while playing today about what some of the most difficult vehicles/weapons are to get actual registered kills with i.e. "Flight447 [Pungi Stick] M.i.r" in the kill feed. I also think there are some vehicles that it is impossible to get a registered kill with.

So, open question to all BFV Lords...what are the most difficult weapons/vehicles to get kills with in BFV. My short list is below:

-Vietcong Cargo Truck (Saigon 68)
-Mi-8 Cargo
-BRDM (is it possible to get an actual "BRDM" kill and not just "killed" in the killfeed?)
-Scooter

-Pungi stick
-Wrench (possible?)
-Blow torch

Also...difficult doesn't necessarily mean hard. It just means what are the rarest kills to get.

Local time
6:26 AM
Reaction score
Real Name
Denal
Hi,

I was thinking while playing today about what some of the most difficult vehicles/weapons are to get actual registered kills with i.e. "Flight447 [Pungi Stick] M.i.r" in the kill feed. I also think there are some vehicles that it is impossible to get a registered kill with.

So, open question to all BFV Lords...what are the most difficult weapons/vehicles to get kills with in BFV. My short list is below:

-Mi-8 Cargo
-BRDM (is it possible to get an actual "BRDM" kill and not just "killed" in the killfeed?)
-Scooter

-Pungi stick
-Wrench (possible?)
-Blow torch

Also...difficult doesn't necessarily mean hard. It just means what are the rarest kills to get.
Speaking as a modder who knows the game and its mechanics, including the coding behind them, really well:

- It's impossible to get a "BRDM" kill, because the guided missile is actually a separate vehicle that the player flies. It's no more possible to get a kill by crashing the BRDM missile into an enemy player/vehicle than it is to get any normal vehicle's name in the killfeed by crashing into a player/vehicle with that vehicle. You will ALWAYS get "killed" in the feed.

- There are no provisions for using a wrench as a weapon. But now that you've got me thinking about it, maybe that's something I could implement in Operation Remembrance. Not as something that could damage vehicles like the blowtorch, but as a melee weapon replacing the knife.

- The blowtorch can't be used to kill infantry, and while it can be used against vehicles, because it works by projecting a small "area effect" that targets the nearest vehicle within that small radius and doesn't use a projectile, it will also show up as "killed" in the killfeed every time. There's a very slight possibility that if you used the blowtorch all the way up to a vehicle's complete destruction (as in, using the blowtorch on it until the instant it explodes, instead of damaging the vehicle until it's on fire and then running away to get out of its explosion radius) you MIGHT get the blowtorch's name to show up in the killfeed. I've never tried it, but given how the coding works, I think that's also entirely impossible.

To add to the list, I would include:

- Caltrops. Given the low damage they inflict, they're probably harder to get a kill with than the pungi sticks.

- The unarmed version of the MUTT.

- Maybe the M60 emplacement? I feel like people don't often use that.

- I haven't really paid attention to this myself, but now I'm wondering: how often do people use the log traps?

Jum_P

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
1:26 PM
Reaction score
Hardest weapon to get kills with - AKMS.;)

Pungi sticks/caltrops kills are not so rare.
Impossible with wrench (not gives any damage).
Torch damages only vehicles, and even in this case you will get standart [killed] message.
Log trap gives a [no more] message (like TK) and thats why these kills undetectable in logs/stats.

Zippo, Sampan, Vespa (scooter), Mi-8 cargo, Huey slick (2 & 3 not gunners seat), Loach , fixed M60, MUTT/UAZ (2nd seat), kills are possible, saw some times, Ural cargo (Saigon 68 truck), too, but not sure.
What is really rare is a AC47 gunners kills.

If you direct hit infantry with BRDM missle you get standart [killed] message.

The most interesting that you really get a kill with BRDM, with a [BRDM missle] message. First time (and i suppose last) i saw and did this was maybe a month (max 2) ago, but not did a screenshot:(. Due to the fact that this map is rarely played, in theory it can be easy found in rounds logs. It was very surprising to see something new in this game after such many years. As i remeber i shot a plane, but not with a direct hit, it start burning, pilot not bailed.

As all logs are stored, its possible go through all of them with any parser and find most rare kills, as it did now for stats page.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Now a list of the easiest weapons/vehicles to kill
-Armed Huey
-Mi-8
-Cobra
-KA-25
-OH-6
-F-4 Phantom II
-MIG 17
-MIG 21
-PATTON
-PT 76
-T 55
-SHERIDAN

-M79
-CAR-15/XM185
CAR-15
-LAW
-RPG-7V
-RPG-2

Clearly they are the only weapons I see players using._.

Local time
Reaction score
Hardest weapon to get kills with - AKMS.;)

Pungi sticks/caltrops kills are not so rare.
Impossible with wrench (not gives any damage).
Torch damages only vehicles, and even in this case you will get standart [killed] message.
Log trap gives a [no more] message (like TK) and thats why these kills undetectable in logs/stats.

Zippo, Sampan, Vespa (scooter), Mi-8 cargo, Huey slick (2 & 3 not gunners seat), Loach , fixed M60, MUTT/UAZ (2nd seat), kills are possible, saw some times, Ural cargo (Saigon 68 truck), too, but not sure.
What is really rare is a AC47 gunners kills.

The most interesting that you really get a kill with BRDM, with a [BRDM missle] message. First time (and i suppose last) i saw and did this was maybe a month (max 2) ago, but not did a screenshot:(. Due to the fact that this map is rarely played, in theory it can be easy found in rounds logs. It was very surprising to see something new in this game after such many years. As i remeber i shot a plane, but not with a direct hit, it start burning, pilot not bailed.

As all logs are stored, its possible go through all of them with any parser and find most rare kills, as it did now for stats page.
Why with AKMS? It is the weapon with which I kill the most

Local time
Reaction score
Hi,

-Mi-8 Cargo
-Scooter

-Pungi stick
-Wrench (possible?)
-Blow torch

The P.B.R was missing, it is never used for its real purpose, only as a means of transportation

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Denal

I see now. Right clicking from the BRDM missile destroys it, but the way it does that is by using a weapon with a single "shot" in its magazine, and the vehicle destroys itself when that magazine is empty. Looking at it, the projectile does have some velocity, and the same damage value as the shotgun projectile. So when you right-click to self-destruct the missile, you're also essentially firing a single shotgun pellet. It would be extremely difficult to do deliberately, but if you were pointed perfectly at an injured player or a badly damaged vehicle, it could happen. About as close as you can get to being impossible, but still doable.

TKO_Flight447

Forum Newbie
DONATOR
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Wow, extremely detailed replies! This is the type of BFV content I live for!

Totally forgot about the Sampan...That is almost impossible to get a kill with when you're sitting in it because the maps its on has helos that easily blow it up out of the water. Its only on Game Warden and Hastings I believe...possibly on Irving too? I might make that a challenge for myself, strategically camp in it with an AK and just wait.

Zippo is the biggest piece of junk in the game lol. I see a few guys get confirmed kills with them every once and a while though.

Does the AC-47 gunner kills register any differently than the bomb kills from the pilot? Never ever gotten a kill with the gunner positions. Its literally almost impossible unless the pilot is flying slow and at a defined angle.

The BRDM Missile kill intrigues me the most. I use the BRDM almost exclusively (much to many peoples annoyance) on Saigon. I use a combination of direct hitting targets and also the right click method for infantry or the AC-47. Typically I get the "player is no more" and if its a direct hit without right-click then its just the [killed] message. So from the sounds of it, you have to hit a target directly, but then not have it explode immediately, like in your AC-47 scenario where it simply burned and then exploded? I really want to get a registered kill with it after using it for so many years.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Denal
Wow, extremely detailed replies! This is the type of BFV content I live for!

Totally forgot about the Sampan...That is almost impossible to get a kill with when you're sitting in it because the maps its on has helos that easily blow it up out of the water. Its only on Game Warden and Hastings I believe...possibly on Irving too? I might make that a challenge for myself, strategically camp in it with an AK and just wait.

Zippo is the biggest piece of junk in the game lol. I see a few guys get confirmed kills with them every once and a while though.

Does the AC-47 gunner kills register any differently than the bomb kills from the pilot? Never ever gotten a kill with the gunner positions. Its literally almost impossible unless the pilot is flying slow and at a defined angle.

The BRDM Missile kill intrigues me the most. I use the BRDM almost exclusively (much to many peoples annoyance) on Saigon. I use a combination of direct hitting targets and also the right click method for infantry or the AC-47. Typically I get the "player is no more" and if its a direct hit without right-click then its just the [killed] message. So from the sounds of it, you have to hit a target directly, but then not have it explode immediately, like in your AC-47 scenario where it simply burned and then exploded? I really want to get a registered kill with it after using it for so many years.
- They completely screwed up the Zippo in multiple ways. The flamethrower is way too weak and too short-ranged, there's no coaxial machine gun (which there should be), and that vehicle wasn't actually called the Zippo. It was just the M132 armored flamethrower. "Zippo" was the nickname for the M67 flame tank, a variant of the M48 Patton which had a flamethrower in place of the main gun. It's probably a good thing it was cut from the final game.

- No, the AC-47 gunner kills don't register any differently. All player positions in a given vehicle are registered the same way.

- No, in order to get a kill with the BRDM missile, you would have to be targeting a badly damaged soldier or vehicle. Now that I've checked the code again and know how it works, I can tell you that the only way that the missile itself could register a kill is if you hit something with the projectile that's launched from the "weapon" that self-destructs the missile. Even then, it would have to be something on extremely low health, because it only does the damage of one shotgun pellet. I don't mean a shotgun shell, with all of the projectiles the shotgun fires simultaneously with a single trigger pull, I mean a single one of those pellets, which does very little damage on its own.

In Jum_P's scenario with the AC-47, what must have happened was the AC-47 was already seriously damaged, to the point that it only had a few HP left, and then his attempt to detonate the missile ended up causing that "projectile" to hit the plane, doing the necessary damage to leave it on fire. The burning itself and the pilot not jumping out had nothing to do with how it showed up in the kill feed. Alternatively, Jum_P's aim and timing might have been so flawless that his missile detonation took a full-health AC-47 down to that ~1-2 HP above critical health, and then the tiniest fraction of a second later, the projectile hit a part of the plane farther away from the missile.

I hate to say it, but trying to deliberately get a registered kill with the BRDM would be worse than one-in-a-million odds. You'd have to be targeting a player or vehicle that was already right on the very edge of death/destruction, and detonate the missile with exactly the right aim and exactly the right timing so that the projectile hits the target but the missile's explosive radius doesn't kill/destroy it first. I don't think anyone could possibly do it deliberately, because it would require information about the target you would have no way of knowing unless you were collaborating with your "victim" solely for the purpose of getting that registered kill. You could try, but actually getting that kill would be insane luck.

Jum_P

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
1:26 PM
Reaction score
Get a kill from vehicle that allow you use your personal weapon is comparely easy, just use SA-7 at any heli/plane.

Yes, AC-47 gunners kills register like the other vehicles kills, but i meant that the very hit or killing smb with its machine guns in battle is an insane luck.

In Jum_P's scenario with the AC-47, what must have happened was the AC-47 was already seriously damaged, to the point that it only had a few HP left, and then his attempt to detonate the missile ended up causing that "projectile" to hit the plane, doing the necessary damage to leave it on fire. The burning itself and the pilot not jumping out had nothing to do with how it showed up in the kill feed. Alternatively, Jum_P's aim and timing might have been so flawless that his missile detonation took a full-health AC-47 down to that ~1-2 HP above critical health, and then the tiniest fraction of a second later, the projectile hit a part of the plane farther away from the missile.
Receding plane was already smoking after my previous shots, so it is 1st variant, or intermediate some damage from blast and final with pellet, all from 1 missile. Not direct hit, RMB detonation. Considering that small amount of damage from pellet, you will need enemy not to leave the vehicle (like in my case), or shooting at already burning vehicle with enemy, what is almost impossible, because all trying leave it after it start burning or even earlier. And it must be not armored vehicle i think.

DenalDouglas is it possible to know, is missle pellet hits right in center of crosshair, or its offset, like in shotgun, and how many damages it gives to infantry?

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Denal
Get a kill from vehicle that allow you use your personal weapon is comparely easy, just use SA-7 at any heli/plane.

Yes, AC-47 gunners kills register like the other vehicles kills, but i meant that the very hit or killing smb with its machine guns in battle is an insane luck.

Receding plane was already smoking after my previous shots, so it is 1st variant, or intermediate some damage from blast and final with pellet, all from 1 missile. Not direct hit, RMB detonation. Considering that small amount of damage from pellet, you will need enemy not to leave the vehicle (like in my case), or shooting at already burning vehicle with enemy, what is almost impossible, because all trying leave it after it start burning or even earlier. And it must be not armored vehicle i think.

DenalDouglas is it possible to know, is missle pellet hits right in center of crosshair, or its offset, like in shotgun, and how many damages it gives to infantry?
Yes, you're absolutely correct that it can't be an armored vehicle. Checking the damage value for that projectile, a single shotgun pellet deals a reasonable amount of damage to infantry (15 or 22.5 HP, depending on where it hits, and a full-health soldier has 30 HP), but only 0.5 or 1 HP for aircraft and helicopters. I don't remember the armor values for vehicles like the MUTT and UAZ-469, but I believe they're armor value numbers 45-49, depending on which part of the vehicle, which means the shotgun/BRDM missile "projectile" would do no damage at all. If I'm wrong and they're values 43 and 44, the pellet would do either 1.25 or 2 HP of damage.

As far as where the pellet hits relative to the crosshair, it's pretty complicated, but the short version is: the pellet is basically guaranteed to NOT hit the center of the crosshair. I won't go into the full explanation unless someone is curious, but, suffice to say, there's an inaccuracy variable called "deviation" programmed into the self-destruct "weapon", and in this case, it's set to such a high value, that, for comparison, the M60 at its most inaccurate (fired standing, in a long burst) is still about four times more accurate than this "pellet" at its best.

Back