• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Massive Battlefield Vietnam Update!

BangBangOw

Forum Newbie
HELLOCLAN LEADERSHIP
BF1942 DESERT COMBAT ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BF1942
REGISTERED
Local time
3:07 PM
Reaction score
Hello All,

You're probably wondering why my post isn't regarding 1942 or Desert Combat...

I'm here to announce a change to the Vietnam Server, and what that entails!

Starting 8/21/2023, so tomorrow or today depending on where you are located, we will be implementing a couple rather important things.

For the time being,
Monday - Thursday maps will have 6 bots on each team.
Friday - Sunday maps and map list will remain as they once were.

We decided as a staff that our weekday numbers were dwindling to a point where something needed to be done. Whether this idea is a success or not, it certainly can't hurt our current weekday numbers. I have gone through and modded all the maps to support 6v6 ai bots. Most of the maps will still be conquest, a few needed to be run in coop mode, but nonetheless they will have 6 bots per team.

Here's a detailed list of what exactly was done.

This is the Monday - Thursday map list.

1. Operation Flaming Dart (COOP): 6v6 Bots per side.
2. Hue-1968 (CQ): 6v6 Bots per side, each team starts two flags already captured, and bots are prevented from spawning on bridge flags.
3. Operation Cedar Falls (CQ): 6v6 Bots per side, I added AI support for this map via server side modding. NVA bots go in tunnels and leave them.
4. Operation Hastings (COOP): 6v6 Bots per side, removed the bots' ability to spawn in the mains, which prevents planes/helos from being taken.
5. Saigon1968 (CQ): 6v6 Bots per side, I added AI support via server side modding, bots don't go into tunnels sadly, but they seem to move around some.
6. Defense of Con Thien (CQ): 6v6 Bots per side, removed ability for bots to spawn in mains which prevents helos from being taken.
7. Cambodian Incursion (CQ): 6v6 Bots per side, moved a few spawns around that were bugged.
8. La Drang Valley (CQ): 6v6 Bots per side, removed blue bots from spawning in main, prevents planes/helos from being taken. Moved mobile spawn.
9. Operation Irving (COOP): 6v6 Bots per side, removed bots' ability to spawn in main, they only spawn in the one PBR instead for blue side.
10. Quang Tri 1968 (CQ): 6v6 Bots per side, moved spawns around, and I prevented bots from spawning in middle bases, so they only spawn in mains.
11. Landing Zone Albany (CQ): 6v6 Bots per side, nothing else was change or removed.
12. Reclaiming Hue (CQ): 6v6 Bots per side, moved spawns for blue, so bots walk down immediately. Also tweaked some spawns to prevent bugging.
13. Operation Game Warden (COOP): 6v6 Bots per side, this map was a pain, couldn't prevent the bots from spawning in mains without errors. :(
14. Ho Chi Minh (CQ): 6v6 Bots per side, moved a few spawns around to minimize bugging.
15. Khe Sahn (COOP): 6v6 Bots per side, this map was also a pain, didn't allow me to remove bots' ability to spawn in mains. :(
16. Quang Tri 1972 (CQ): 6v6 Bots per side, moved some spawns around to minimize bugging.
17. Lang Vei (COOP): 6v6 Bots per side, this map was also a pain, didn't allow me to remove bots' ability to spawn in mains. Played better than I thought.
18. Fall of Saigon (CQ): Could not get my AI working on this, I will really try and get this one working - no promises.

Overview of these mods,

1. All but 2-3 of these maps had spawns altered to create better movement for AI, as they are already very dumb... so anything helps.
2. Vehicles weren't affected on the majority of these maps.
3. Most maps with helos and planes have modifications to help humans access the air equipment and equipment in mains better than bots.
4. No the bots won't be perfect; they will get stuck. It's not a perfect science, so please understand this beforehand! :)

It was my idea to implement some sort of AI modifications for our weekday players, it makes the server fuller and gives you something to do while seeding the server, which is needed to get the fun games going! If no one wants to be the first, then the server will never get past 0!

This is not set in stone; it is just something that we are going to test out. After seeing one of our competitor's servers having more activity during the weekdays than us, while running coop 24/7, I thought a good balance of both might be the trick to retain a smaller crowd on our weekday/weeknights!

Also in the works is an admin command/commands that work on our Desert Combat and 1942 server...

!nobots - prevents from respawning.
!nobots2 - kills all bots.
!yesbots - allows respawning.

We should be able to implement those here aswell, so if we get up to 10-15 players and an admin views it as a nuisance to have bots on a map. Simply typing !nobots prevents them from respawning again on the map!

I think this is a good compromise. I've had success running a few different servers with this, and we see about the same peaks on weekdays as weekends, so it is a good balance.

Let me know what we think of this, and be sure to check out some of the cool maps like Con Thien, Cedar Falls, and Saigon 68 with AI added which most of you have never seen ;)

I hope at least some people enjoy my work :D

Regards,

BangBangOw - Hello Clan Leadership

1692595972602.png

Local time
6:07 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Denal
Looking good. Bang, does your entry on Cedar Falls specifically mean you got bots OUTSIDE the tunnels to go IN them, not just spawn inside? If so, could I take a look at the map file/code you used to do that? For Operation Remembrance, I've been able to get bots to spawn in and leave the tunnels, but not enter them from outside. Also, I might be able to help you with the issues you're having with Game Warden and Khe Sanh. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Back