• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Why do players leave the server? my opinion and suggestion

Drake

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
5:02 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a Drake, I've been playing on your server for a while and I've found a frustrating fact - due to the high ping, most of my shots miss the target
, yes, I have some experience and know how to shoot ahead, etc. But when the enemy maneuvers, then all my attempts are leveled.

it is known that the higher the ping - the more difficult it is to play
For example, if a player with a ping 40 plays with a player with a ping 160, then he has an advantage 4 times!!!
especially when it comes to rifles or knives fight, on helicopters during maneuvers the advantage is 2 times, and if the player maneuvers a little, the advantage increases again by 4 times, since the less movement(but frequent), the higher the signal transmission delay.
Looking at the players playing in the last event on the server, I saw that most have a ping above 100, some above 200, and only a few below 100.

ping.jpg

The game clearly shows that if a player has at least a little experience in the game and he has a low ping, then he can play better than others. And then we often see a picture of how players leave the server, and why? - because player can`t hit, even when aiming at the enemy, so why can some play with an advantage, while others can't?

Here on this screen, out of all the players, only one player has a ping below 100, and 9 players are above 100 !!!

1.jpg

Since the server is located in the USA, I can assume that those players with low ping are from the USA or Canada, players with ping above 100 are Europe or South America, and players with ping above 200 are Australia or Japan.
I suggest using a server location somewhere in the UK so that players from both hemispheres of our planet have roughly equal chances. Of course, this is unlikely to help players from Australia or Japan, but as I understand it, there are about 2-3 people in total, so they have no change.

Yes, you can say that you can choose another closer server, but as I understand it, where people play, there are not so many servers. But on the other hand, activity on your server is probably already fading away, so maybe you should think about changes and go to meet the players and make the odds even ?

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
Hello Drake,

Here is the thing, we base our server of of a main server host to make costs easier for us. As you can imagine, we really do put due thought into what we do / when we do it and where we do it.

Bearing mind as well we run other servers (such as in 1942). ;)

We were previously based in Canada. And very recently had to make a move (we chose the US since we were originally based there before Canada) Now I wholeheartedly understand where you are coming, I'm from South Africa and when we based our servers in Canada I had a 280-300 ping. Now that our server is in the US, I hover around a 260-280 ping yet. I am capable of killing the best of our players still, I have no problem killing people who seem to live on top of the server and I hardly consider myself good at the game. 😅

Please do not think me being bias and using my personal experience to say this, but the location isn't playing as big a role as you think.

As I mentioned, we recently did a move and we are still bringing our players back in. Some just don't update their server lists, some just have the server as their favourites and as a result they see our previous server that is now dead.

The move was forced and we had little choice, we could have stuck with our location but again decided to go back to our roots. ;) It's just getting our players back. Bear in mind, a move changes our IP and that is something we cannot afford to do if we can't help it.

If we did that again now, it would truly decimate us and what we are trying to do in 1942.

And considering we have been under attack too from an old nemesis, it hasn't helped the situation or the events we've been trying to host.

I truly appreciate where you are coming from along with your feedback, though there are other factors at play that many...don't consider because they're not in our position or simply put, we do a very good job of shielding our players from the worries we carry and troubles we endure.

Rest assured though, we will be sorting them all out and we will continue doing our duty to Battlefield Vietnam.

See you in-game!

Regards,
Ice

Last edited:

HoloDuke

Normal Poster
REGISTERED
Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
Drake,
I've always been a low ping player and my experience has always been that there doesn't seem to be a great advantage, if any, with a lower ping. There have been many times I have been sniping where I find an opposing sniper at about the same time as they find me - you can see them move to acquire a new target, and then they snipe me before I can snipe them. That bastard IceSkater has done that to me many times.

This is a game from a generation of low bandwidth, high latency internet connectivity. Most games developed during this time used complex synchronization techniques to maintain a level playing field across all latencies. I am also not the most skilled player, so you may also be noticing nuances that I don't notice.

Keep playing and hope to see you in-game sometime.

Local time
4:02 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a Drake, I've been playing on your server for a while and I've found a frustrating fact - due to the high ping, most of my shots miss the target
, yes, I have some experience and know how to shoot ahead, etc. But when the enemy maneuvers, then all my attempts are leveled.

For example, if a player with a ping 40 plays with a player with a ping 160, then he has an advantage 4 times!!!
especially when it comes to rifles or knives fight, on helicopters during maneuvers the advantage is 2 times, and if the player maneuvers a little, the advantage increases again by 4 times, since the less movement(but frequent), the higher the signal transmission delay.
Looking at the players playing in the last event on the server, I saw that most have a ping above 100, some above 200, and only a few below 100.

View attachment 2952

The game clearly shows that if a player has at least a little experience in the game and he has a low ping, then he can play better than others. And then we often see a picture of how players leave the server, and why? - because player can`t hit, even when aiming at the enemy, so why can some play with an advantage, while others can't?

Here on this screen, out of all the players, only one player has a ping below 100, and 9 players are above 100 !!!

View attachment 2953

Since the server is located in the USA, I can assume that those players with low ping are from the USA or Canada, players with ping above 100 are Europe or South America, and players with ping above 200 are Australia or Japan.
I suggest using a server location somewhere in the UK so that players from both hemispheres of our planet have roughly equal chances. Of course, this is unlikely to help players from Australia or Japan, but as I understand it, there are about 2-3 people in total, so they have no change.

Yes, you can say that you can choose another closer server, but as I understand it, where people play, there are not so many servers. But on the other hand, activity on your server is probably already fading away, so maybe you should think about changes and go to meet the players and make the odds even ?
I am sorry, but most of this about low pings and skill is just false.
There are Many many players with high pings that are absolute monsters Still in this game!

You don't have to have a low ping to be good at this game Drake.

Drake

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Oh, looks like i am talkwing with wall..... Otherwise i can’t call such communication, because people who say that ping does not affect are either stupid or didn’t play with high ping, or maybe they played and know that I’m right, that’s why they are afraid of such changes. Ok, good luck for you all.

Local time
Reaction score
Real Name
Shaun
@Drake

By making a suggestion on a public forum, you are inviting open comment on it. You won't automatically get everyone's blind agreement. However that is communication.

You are receiving responses from players that not only rival your likely age, but also your time and experience with these games and similar type servers.

SellOut is quite accurate with what he said. These games were meant for a time when there was no such thing as Fibre (High speed internet). They were all played with likely at best dial up at the time.

I'm not saying we have to suffer that nowdays. Most certainly not.

Suggesting we are stupid for not openly agreeing with you isn't nice.

I told you there is more at play than what you think and made special mention of the two most important factors that are currently at play. Those went over your head it seems.

If you cannot accept that there is more at play and there are more opinions that don't really align with yours, then we are the ones talking to a wall I'm afraid.

Regards,
Ice

Last edited:

musterkunde

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
8:02 AM
Reaction score
Real Name
HP

View attachment 2952

View attachment 2953

In order to solve this problem I would suggest that all players move to the USA. Another more realistic suggestion would try to modify the server-software to artificially increase everybodies ping level to 200.

paranoid

Forum Rookie
BATTLEFIELD VIETNAM ADMIN
-[HELLO]-BFV
REGISTERED
Local time
12:02 PM
Reaction score
Back in the old days I used to play with a radio low speed internet connection, my ping was always over 220ms, but I still had a lot of fun even though I got bunch of times the yellow text connection warning and crashed the helicopter.

I can’t deny that nowadays playing with fibre connection is way better, but my ping is still over 150ms and doesn’t affect my gameplay that much.

Sometimes instead trying to move the world upside down we should just be thankful to have a server where we can still play after so many years…

Last edited:
Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
Steam
 antiawp
@Drake I'm one of those who lives on top of the server 😄 my ping is usually 17-20 and I still get killed all the time by high ping players from Europe and Down Under (Australia & South Africa). In short I play like a noob 😇 I agree that Skill>Ping as others have said above. There are some high ping, high "skill" players who can jump in the air and shoot one bullet and instantly frag others from across the map repeatedly. We call them one-shot-killers. BTW, some of us use the word "skill" as a code word for "_ _ _ _" sorry we are not allowed to say that word here. @Blueheeler and other regulars know what I'm talking about ;)

Petter-Pang!

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
3:02 PM
Reaction score
Real Name
Petter
Sir Mandrake and Sir Smokealot was almost unbeatable even with "high" ping back in the day, it has everything to do with understanding in how the game engine works, aim and what weapon to use most effectively in different situations and maps. I play at 150 ping average, some days 160-180, I feel that my gameplay is good considering it. If I had 20-30 ping, I would be practically unbeatable aimwise.
Then again, when I encounter players who do VERY GOOD and really bother me with 200 or more ping, I know for a fact that they are extremely good and know how to play the game and to take advantage of every situation. I would like to mention one player: Paranoid, he does his gaming at high ping and can be a real pain in the ass! 😆

Ping is only your chosen level of difficulty:

200 ping = Extremely difficult
>50 ping = Can I play daddy?

Back