• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

[SOLVED] Please help with BFV on Windows 11: no crosshair, no custom combat

nattochoshoku

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
2:44 PM
Reaction score
Greetings,

I have installed Battlefield Vietnam on Windows 11 and added a sound fix, and then, according to the description of the sound fix, disabled admin privileges and compatibility mode. The game runs normally, but there are a few problems (some problems have been solved as of writing):
  1. When loading a game, the loading bar does not show,
  2. The crosshair does not appear with main weapon or sidearm, but appears with knife and other gadgets,
  3. When creating a game with Custom Combat, it is not possible to select anything from the dropdown menus, nor is it possible to click outside the menu. It is now possible to select items, but still not to confirm or click outside the menu. When joining a local server that I created myself using dedicatedServer.exe, it asks me to insert a CD,
  4. When trying to join an Internet server, it is not possible to enter the IP address of the specific server.
Although I have disabled admin privileges and compatibility mode, I tried enabling them again, with no solution to any of the problems. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: All the problems have been solved now, including the problem with Custom Combat. The solution was to patch BFVietnam.exe with NTCore's 4GB Patch.

Attachments

• 1719961673983.png
    1719961673983.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 46
  • 1719961720910.png
    1719961720910.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 46
  • 1719961760960.png
    1719961760960.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 44
  • 1719961856279.png
    1719961856279.png
    323.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 1719962128862.png
    1719962128862.png
    199 KB · Views: 53
  • 1719962185001.png
    1719962185001.png
    248.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

nattochoshoku

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
For 2., do you have an AMD GPU? It's a known issue with them, that won't ever be fixed. https://github.com/lacymorrow/crossover works pretty well as a third-party tool.
No, it's a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4050. Luckily, I managed to find a solution for the crosshair with DXVK, though the problem with the custom combat menu remains (in a different form now — I can now click on different options in the menu, but still can't choose one item or get out of the menu).

Local time
10:44 PM
Reaction score
Steam
 antiawp
Greetings,

I have installed Battlefield Vietnam on Windows 11 and added a sound fix, and then, according to the description of the sound fix, disabled admin privileges and compatibility mode. The game runs normally, but there are a few problems (some problems have been solved as of writing):
  1. When loading a game, the loading bar does not show,
  2. The crosshair does not appear with main weapon or sidearm, but appears with knife and other gadgets,
  3. When creating a game with Custom Combat, it is not possible to select anything from the dropdown menus, nor is it possible to click outside the menu. It is now possible to select items, but still not to confirm or click outside the menu. When joining a local server that I created myself using dedicatedServer.exe, it asks me to insert a CD,
  4. When trying to join an Internet server, it is not possible to enter the IP address of the specific server.
Although I have disabled admin privileges and compatibility mode, I tried enabling them again, with no solution to any of the problems. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
What did you use to install BFV? Did you use the file available from this forum? If you installed BFV using external files or an old disc, I suggest you uninstall BFV and reinstall it using the new file available from this forum here that has updated patches and fixes.

I had made the mistake of installing from the disc in 2021. I started getting lag and jitters. I finally uninstalled BFV and installed it using Rom files and the problem was solved.

nattochoshoku

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
What did you use to install BFV? Did you use the file available from this forum? If you installed BFV using external files or an old disc, I suggest you uninstall BFV and reinstall it using the new file available from this forum here that has updated patches and fixes.

I had made the mistake of installing from the disc in 2021. I started getting lag and jitters. I finally uninstalled BFV and installed it using Rom files and the problem was solved.
I have installed using ISO files that I’ve had for a while and ultimately can no longer trace the source. I’ve uninstalled that and reinstalled using the link you provided, and there seemed to be no difference in performance, and the Custom Combat menu still does not work. It seems to be a problem unique to Windows 11, as on my previous system — Windows 10, I also installed with those ISO files and everything worked fine.

Butcher

Forum Newbie
BF1942 DESERT COMBAT ADMIN
REGISTERED
Local time
4:44 AM
Reaction score
Could you expand on point 3 and 4? They, as well as point 1, are reminiscent of what are essentially scaling-issues that come from running 20-year old software on modern operating systems. Does it feel like every button or input is offset by a common distance? Eg., you click where the IP: ___ field appears to be, but do not get to write anything, but if you click lower and to the right - typically - you do?

The most common, proposed solution is to set compatibility mode to Windows XP (Service Pack 3) or Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) on BfVietnam.exe. For some setups even Disable full-screen optimizations and Change high DPI settings. In my experience, messing with the game's native rendering yields better results. For all Battlefield-games of this era, I run in windowed, for BFV set in Video.con and VideoCustom.con as read-only with

game.setDisplayMode 3200 1800 32 0
game.setGameDisplayMode 3200 1800 32 0

The game-menu is tiny, almost useless, on my 4K-monitor. Like you, I get no loading bar, no crosshair for weapon or sidearm, but I can hit the IP-field and type - though there is no visual indicator I am in the input-area other than my typing. The latter is the case for me too in the Custom Combat interface, but I rarely use that and can reliable demonstrate it to be an AMD-driver-problem because of how it ran on my NVidia previously. It's just a game's interface from decades past, and most solutions would get you banned from messing with the game's data-files.

nattochoshoku

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
Could you expand on point 3 and 4? They, as well as point 1, are reminiscent of what are essentially scaling-issues that come from running 20-year old software on modern operating systems. Does it feel like every button or input is offset by a common distance? Eg., you click where the IP: ___ field appears to be, but do not get to write anything, but if you click lower and to the right - typically - you do?
For point 3, I could open the menus for Custom Combat, but couldn't select anything: the highlight for selection does not appear. (It was a similar issue with selecting maps: the map could be selected and the preview changed, but the name of the map wasn't highlighted). After installing DXVK, the selection highlights appeared, but I couldn't confirm the selection (the menu wouldn't close) or click outside to cancel the menu.

Point 4 is a similar issue, after the [IP:] prompt, there was no box to input anything, so it wasn't a problem with offset (other buttons and input fields are in the right place). This was also fixed with DXVK.

nattochoshoku

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
Reaction score
I hope that this thread is not too old for me to reply, but I have fixed the problem with Custom Combat. If anyone is having the same problem, the solution is to apply NTCore's 4GB Patch onto BFVietnam.exe. Originally, I had to apply this to Battlefield 1942 to play a mod, so out of curiosity, I applied it to Battlefield Vietnam without knowing what results to expect, and suddenly found that it solved the Custom Combat problems. Thanks to those who helped earlier.

Back