• Need to report a player? Or a server issue? Or just need help? Use our helpdesk! Click here and open a ticket for faster response times!

Installing via Wine and using proton to play

sideos385

Forum Newbie
REGISTERED
Local time
9:13 AM
Reaction score
I could not find anything on the forum about this so I am posting in order to help those who may have trouble. I don't know if this is the best way to accomplish this, but it did work for me.

Instructions
  1. I ran the installer with my default Wine prefix (you can create a custom prefix if you like) and let it go through the whole shibang.
  2. After this, the game would run via Wine seemingly fine, but the video showed in a small section of top right and I had no audio. Multiplayer was working.
  3. Jump over to proton via steam, using Proton experimental the game launches in full screen and with audio! But multiplayer did not work.
  4. To fix this, I simply ran the installer again but using the proton prefix steam created. I ran the installer up to the point that the registry is edited and BOOM. It works in proton now with an easy launcher.
Considerations:
  1. If you are familiar with wine you can probably get the game running fine without proton - I am not.
  2. Ideally you would be able to install the game in the proton prefix, but I have had some issues in the past with moving things around and steam not wanting to launch the program.
  3. Perhaps telling Proton to use the wine prefix would work, I don't know if there is a way to do this. I found one thing that said you could with STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH, but it did not work for me.
  4. I originally found a preinstalled version of this game prior to finding this community. The game ran fine out of the box with proton (albeit without wide screen support), but multiplayer did not work

Back